• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern launch Hull Halifax service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
This was very useful last night travelling from Bradford-Sowerby Bridge. Instead of getting the 1803 direct which would have been jammed with Calder valley commuters, I got the fairly empty 1751 to Halifax only, then picked up the Sowerby Bridge train at Halifax when all the Halifaxians has disembarked.

*Haligonians.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

quantinghome

Established Member
The 17th century poet John Taylor wrote 'the beggar's litany' which begins:

"There is a proverb and a prayer with all,
That we may not to three strange places fall;
From Hull, from Hell, from Halifax, ’tis this,
From all these three, Good Lord, deliver us."

Perhaps Northern should name one of their trains after him?

Whisky Papa

"Haligonian" I believe is the Canadian term. I never once heard it used in Yorkshire until someone added it to Wikipedia. That said, I don't know what the actual term is.

I became aware of its use when I moved to the Calder Valley in the mid 1980's, so it certainly pre-dates Wikipedia. I can't recall hearing any other term used, although of course this still does not rule out the possibility it was coined in Nova Scotia first.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I became aware of its use when I moved to the Calder Valley in the mid 1980's, so it certainly pre-dates Wikipedia. I can't recall hearing any other term used, although of course this still does not rule out the possibility it was coined in Nova Scotia first.

I've certainly heard it in Halifax a few times. Although I've never lived in Halifax itself, I lived for more than 20 years in the Calder Valley.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
"Haligonian" I believe is the Canadian term. I never once heard it used in Yorkshire until someone added it to Wikipedia. That said, I don't know what the actual term is.

I don't want to dive off topic, but as someone who was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire I regard myself as a Haligonian.

Maybe Northern should have launched the new Halifax to Hull service as the "Haligonian Hullsation Connection" forget Northern Connect lets use local denoyms as the marketing tool.

Peter Bonner

I don't want to dive off topic, but as someone who was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire I regard myself as a Haligonian.

Maybe Northern should have launched the new Halifax to Hull service as the "Haligonian Hullsation Connection" forget Northern Connect lets use local denoyms as the marketing tool.

"Hullensians" really ought to be used in the title of this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.