• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern medical issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miffa

I’ve had my medical with Northern today. I’ve passed everything except hearing in my right ear that was just below standard.

medical assessor says it shouldn’t be a problem as long as I get a hearing aid and a report from the audiologist saying it’s up to standard. And as I have to go back to finish my drugs and alcohol test (equipment wasn’t working today) I could be passed then if I do the above.

she said all this would be in her report and not to worry but it was still up to the employer.

I called HR who said she would need to ask her manager and get back to me. Not heard anything as yet.

my question is; how likely are Northern to accept this? (I’m willing to bare all costs for test and the hearing aid) or will they just say “no, you failed! Next!”? Anyone got any first hand knowledge on how this will play out? I desperately want this job (conductor) as I’ve heard so many good things about working for Northern. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
HR aren't medical professionals so as long as the medical assessor states in her report that you should be ok for safety criteria work subject to audiologist etc. they SHOULD accept it. The HR lady is just following protocol. It should be remembered that it costs a lot of money to recruit someone so the cost of a hearing aid and report when you're BORDERLINE is negligible in the grand scheme. If there were major issues it might be different. Disclaimer: I'm no expert.

skyhigh

Established Member
I’ve had my medical with Northern today. I’ve passed everything except hearing in my right ear that was just below standard.

medical assessor says it shouldn’t be a problem as long as I get a hearing aid and a report from the audiologist saying it’s up to standard. And as I have to go back to finish my drugs and alcohol test (equipment wasn’t working today) I could be passed then if I do the above.

she said all this would be in her report and not to worry but it was still up to the employer.

I called HR who said she would need to ask her manager and get back to me. Not heard anything as yet.

my question is; how likely are Northern to accept this? (I’m willing to bare all costs for test and the hearing aid) or will they just say “no, you failed! Next!”? Anyone got any first hand knowledge on how this will play out? I desperately want this job (conductor) as I’ve heard so many good things about working for Northern. Thanks!
I know a Northern guard with a hearing aid (although they required it after they'd be in the role a while) I believe it's a similar situation to requiring glasses, as long as you can meet the standard with them, it should be fine.

Efini92

Established Member
For the ones already in the grade they provide them for the employee. I’m not sure how it would work for a new entrant. If you do have to pay you’ll need to make sure they are to the railway standard.
Which depot have you applied for?

Miffa

For the ones already in the grade they provide them for the employee. I’m not sure how it would work for a new entrant. If you do have to pay you’ll need to make sure they are to the railway standard.
Which depot have you applied for?
I’m in Sheffield. Received a reply from HR tonight stating that they will send me to their audiologist for hearing assessment to determine whether I’m ok as I am or need a hearing aid so looks like I’m ok with the company.

LCC106

Established Member
Fingers crossed then! Might be worth editing your location out as you’re easily identifiable now though.

Miffa

Fingers crossed then! Might be worth editing your location out as you’re easily identifiable now though.
Thanks bud. Don’t think I need to edit out who I am. I’ve not and will not say anything negative about the company. In fact, I can’t believe how good and accommodating they’ve been. Just can’t wait to get going with my training once the hearing issue is sorted. Which, hopefully, now it will be.

LCC106

Established Member
I was told I had a waxy build up at my last medical. Told to stick my head under the water in a warm bath and waft my hands next to my ears to help encourage it to come out.

Stigy

Established Member
Was this medical with an outside company? Sounds as though it was reading this thread? Either way, good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.