• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern online assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo

I have received an email informing me I'm to do an online assessment. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skinnymat

I applied for the depot driver position and have the online assessment to do before the 8th.
Not sure what it involves but will give it a go today and let you know.

Just logged in and there is no link to do the test on my log in page. I have emailed them to have a look at this for me.
Hope they get back to me before the 8th!!

Last edited:

steveo

It's for the depot driver job mate,

Going to do mine tomorrow so hopefully it will work will let you know how I get on.

I have just logged in and have not got a link either!

Last edited:

Clx-

Just logged in and there is no link to do the test on my log in page. I have emailed them to have a look at this for me.
Hope they get back to me before the 8th!!

You're not alone! Same problem for me, emailed them also.

skinnymat

Think they have sorted the link now.
Going to give the test a try tonight.

Fingers crossed

Clx-

Good luck. I did it this afternoon. I'm not sure doing 30 questions out of 150 in the allowed 5 minutes is going to get me very far but I can hope!

skinnymat

Only managed to get up to 45 myself. Not sure what the pass mark is likely to be.

steveo

I've completed the test to managed to get 49. 150 seems pretty tough, was the time limit random (5-10 mins) maybe the 150 mark applied to the 10 min time limit. If so then our points weren't to bad.

Silv1983

For the trainee driver position I think I got 50 and passed. Im sure another chap got 49 and also passed. All 150 is impossible.... thats 2 seconds per correct answer. No-one is that good!

steveo

For the trainee driver position I think I got 50 and passed. Im sure another chap got 49 and also passed. All 150 is impossible.... thats 2 seconds per correct answer. No-one is that good!

Just been reading through past threads and 49 did pass just hope i got all 49 correct pretty confident i did, but in the last 10secs they seemed to come thick fast and didnt get chance to answer a couple Fingers crossed.

Clx-

hah, I was miles off the pace then. Spent way too long on 2-3 of them. Probably shows it's not the job for me!

steveo

hah, I was miles off the pace then. Spent way too long on 2-3 of them. Probably shows it's not the job for me!

Don't give up mate next time u'll know what expect, we could all be way off the mark and we won't know untill we receive an email from northern.
Whatever the out come u've got to keep trying till it eventually pays off.

skinnymat

Any ideas on when we will get an email off them letting us know if we go through or not?

Deftone_13

Yeah really did 65, is that a pass do you know? My computer is a bit slow screen didn't flick through as quick as I hoped.

kleb15

So for this assessment online do you have to get 100% or say if u get like 4 wrong out of 50 is that acceptable?

Established Member
Be similar to group bourdon (the dots test) or scaat (shapes) - allowed maybe one or two mistakes - no more, but you must do a minimum number to pass.

Assume from the majority of people pass mark is possibly about 45ish, but may rise or lower based on the group average.

kleb15

ok, thanks a lot for that, and the average amount of questions answered is 45 is it then? so if u did more would that stand you in good stead or would they just think that you're clicking on random answers?

Established Member
ok, thanks a lot for that, and the average amount of questions answered is 45 is it then? so if u did more would that stand you in good stead or would they just think that you're clicking on random answers?

45 is my guess, sort of average score for most.

If you were clicking on random answers you would score a load of wrongs.

But scoring as many as possible right answers only is a good idea.

steveo

Just completed the comparison test for the trainee driver role at sheffield got 56 this time did any one else apply for this role?

Established Member
What exactly is this test? new to me

In the SHL visual comparison test you have 5 minutes to look through patterns of numbers, each page has clusters of four pairs. One of the pairs has two slightly different numbers, and you have to carefully look for this.

Example:

A 348763 348763
B 204734 204743
C 113442 113442
D 020349 020349

Test progressively gets harder:

A 223-09233-1143 223-09233-1143
B 223-09333-1143 223-09323-1143
C 203-28894-2828 203-28894-2828
D 209-28498-2848 209-28498-2848

You click on the row which has differing numbers. You make no mistakes and do as many as you can correct.

Skie

It would also be incredibly easy to cheat on with second pair of eyes: one of you
looks at the top two while the other does the bottom. As soon as you spot the answer shout the letter.

henryedward61

I think that is an extremely valid point, although a bit sad if anybody actually considers it. In all honesty anybody who feels the need to cheat to pass this prelim stage is not going to get very far at assessment. I have just submitted my third application with Northern, having passed all assessments etc first time around. I got through 66 in the visual comparison test (first time I have had to do it for any driver position).

In my experience passing the tests is the easy bit. What's hardest is logging on 5 times a day, only to see your name in a so called 'talent pool', whatever that actually means. Perhaps maybe I should learn to be a tad more patient.:roll:

Sammy h

What job is this for? The Sheffield driver job I presume?

I answered 71, but I know for a fact I got two wrong. Good luck ladies and gents :D

kleb15

Does anybody know when they're likely to get back to us about this assessment then, mine hasn't updated since i completed the test, just wondering how long it'll take before i know if i'm through or failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.