• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Diagrams - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljclark555

I'm planning a trip to Hope Valley next week, do we still have pacers on the Sheffield route?
If we do still have pacers, do we think this will change from 14th September when the Rose Hill service is suspended - or rather replaced by the West Coast Railways replacement service hopefully for more than the one-week trial (which will be equally worth a visit)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail Ranger

I'm planning a trip to Hope Valley next week, do we still have pacers on the Sheffield route?
If we do still have pacers, do we think this will change from 14th September when the Rose Hill service is suspended - or rather replaced by the West Coast Railways replacement service hopefully for more than the one-week trial (which will be equally worth a visit)?
Pacers are supposed to be moving from the Sheffield route to the Mid Cheshire Line from 14th September.

pauljclark555

Went to Hope valley on Wednesday. Pacer from MAN to Rose Hill - followed by an unexpectedly long walk to Marple Stn! Note that the Rose Hill branch will now not be closing for 2 months (but will they continue to run pacers on it?). Despite an enjoyable lunch at Grindleford Stn cafe, no sign of any pacers going through to Sheffield, but I did catch one later in the afternoon from New Mills back to MAN

peters

On Moderation
Note that the Rose Hill branch will now not be closing for 2 months (but will they continue to run pacers on it?). Despite an enjoyable lunch at Grindleford Stn cafe, no sign of any pacers going through to Sheffield, but I did catch one later in the afternoon from New Mills back to MAN

Posted in another thread that the limited Rose Hill service will be primarily so that children can use the train to get to and from their schools, so bear that in mind if you only want to use the service to travel on a Pacer before they get scrapped. The first service is 07:43 from Piccadilly, it was previously said one of the Pacer+Sprinter combinations would go back to the depot after arriving at Piccadilly from Chester at 07:26. Coincidence?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Posted in another thread that the limited Rose Hill service will be primarily so that children can use the train to get to and from their schools, so bear that in mind if you only want to use the service to travel on a Pacer before they get scrapped. The first service is 07:43 from Piccadilly, it was previously said one of the Pacer+Sprinter combinations would go back to the depot after arriving at Piccadilly from Chester at 07:26. Coincidence?
Good use of the unit(s). Makes me wonder why they couldn't have offered some form of skeleton service.

peters

On Moderation
Good use of the unit(s). Makes me wonder why they couldn't have offered some form of skeleton service.

Although, given usually the train which arrives from Chester at 07:26, would go back to Chester at 07:41 and carry a number of Knutsford Academy pupils there may be well some questions about why Rose Hill needs 2 trains 20 minutes apart, while Knutsford Academy pupils are expected to get to Knutsford before 8am.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Pacers are supposed to be moving from the Sheffield route to the Mid Cheshire Line from 14th September.

Good: guarantees 4-car working (though I think everything on the Mid-Cheshire has been booked 4-car since the timetable reduction in March)

peters

On Moderation
Good: guarantees 4-car working (though I think everything on the Mid-Cheshire has been booked 4-car since the timetable reduction in March)

Yes and in some cases the 4 car sets have been as full as possible without people from different households sitting next to each other.

If the Pacers aren't allowed out unless attached to another unit, could that mean a cancelled service instead of a service running with just 2 cars if there's a fault? For instance, if the interior lights fail on the Sprinter and it's a service after sunset then presumably passengers can't travel on that train.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yes and in some cases the 4 car sets have been as full as possible without people from different households sitting next to each other.

If the Pacers aren't allowed out unless attached to another unit, could that mean a cancelled service instead of a service running with just 2 cars if there's a fault? For instance, if the interior lights fail on the Sprinter and it's a service after sunset then presumably passengers can't travel on that train.

Aye that'll be the downfall. Pacer is actually quite reliable. The Lada/Trabant of the railway world

peters

On Moderation
Aye that'll be the downfall. Pacer is actually quite reliable. The Lada/Trabant of the railway world

I've found they can be very slow to move off in autumnal conditions and very draughty in cold weather, so maybe Pacers being reintroduced in September is not the best month for them to return.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

One would have to assume to which is a shame.

warwickshire

On Moderation
142094 is in service on the kirkby diagram today. 142078 should return afternoon hope valley after fuel at longsight and 142090 on the rose Hill However 142018 and 142070 didn't go to newton Heath they are both at adwick Depot.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The link does not seem to be work.

ed1971

On Monday 14th September, Thursday 17th September and today, Saturday 12th September, I observed that all 3 Manchester Victoria to Kirkby diagrams had class 142s on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.