• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Where did you hear that?

It was mentioned a page or two back that one has (apparently) been preserved by Plym Valley. Upon seeing this I've added it to my list with a question mark as I'm unsure until something more concrete is posted. Likewise with the two that suppose to be going to East Kent, 142017 is another that I'm unsure about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whg1070

Apologies if this appears somewhere else, but I've heard that the last day in service for 142s with Northern will be Friday 14th February or Saturday 15th February. Is anyone able to confirm this?

IamTrainsYT

Apologies if this appears somewhere else, but I've heard that the last day in service for 142s with Northern will be Friday 14th February or Saturday 15th February. Is anyone able to confirm this?
I heard sunday the 16th however that was no allocations for them

IamTrainsYT

There are still 24 142s in service with northern (including warm storage units I think) so I doubt they'll all be gone by then.
It wasn’t a date when they will have all left the northern fleet, it was a date they will no longer be running them.

IamTrainsYT

Yes I know, by gone I mean out of service.
They currently have about 6 running every day, I would think they could have them out of passenger service in 2 weeks but we will have to see. Whatever arriva do the OLR will probably use them anyway (that is if they want to run a proper service and not a northern rail style service!)

WesternLancer

Established Member
They currently have about 6 running every day, I would think they could have them out of passenger service in 2 weeks but we will have to see. Whatever arriva do the OLR will probably use them anyway (that is if they want to run a proper service and not a northern rail style service!)
Of course there must be an incentive for OLR to not use them on the 1st day they take over and allow the Sec of State to claim the credit for 'banishing Pacer's from the North West' immediately they took over...

Bikeman78

Established Member
There are 11 diagrams on weekdays.
Four do Rose Hill/New Mills, of which one is peaks only.
One does a morning trip to Kirkby then evening trip to Southport.
Four out all day Rochdale to Blackburn/Clitheroe.
One on Blackburn to Wigan via Todmorden.
One on Manchester Vic to Kirkby.

There must be some 195s parked up waiting to come out to play. Even if the booked work ends, there's no reason why the 142 can't still come out attached to a 150 or 158 as required.

ed1971

There must be some 195s parked up waiting to come out to play. Even if the booked work ends, there's no reason why the 142 can't still come out attached to a 150 or 158 as required.

Thanks for this. Are the Saturday diagrams for 142s only on Rochdale to Blackburn/Clitheroe now?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Thanks for this. Are the Saturday diagrams for 142s only on Rochdale to Blackburn/Clitheroe now?
Yes just the four diagrams on the Darwen route. For some reason the units that end at Stockport or Longsight on Friday stable all weekend.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes just the four diagrams on the Darwen route. For some reason the units that end at Stockport or Longsight on Friday stable all weekend.
Do you know the times of those diagrams on the Darwen route - for sats, Bikeman?

IamTrainsYT

Some of the diagrams are used by double class 15X sets however

59scot

Can confirm that at least 6 units were in use across Greater Manchester yesterday off peak coupled with either a class 150 or a class 158. The units in question which I saw were 004, 011, 035, 055, 058 and 061. Easiest to find on the Rose Hill/ New Mills diagrams and the Rochdale- Blackburn diagrams

ed1971

Someone has posted this on the RM web forum:-

"Following a rumour that Saturday 15th February would be the "last day", I have had the following from a manager within Northern:

142's will be running until "at least" the 6th March in the North West, there will still be 2 diagrams that will include a 142 on them. There is already a nominated pool of 4 that will work these, with the other 10 NH based units moving to HT from the 15th Feb onward for storage".

DGH 1

There was talk of an operator in another country buying some. I didn’t think this sounded likely
I know they've had a lot of bad press over here and i know things have often been switched off then scrapped over the years, but i think it's a waste when there's life left in them and some operator abroad who can't afford flash new trains could use them.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Well they can't bash the pacers anymore so why not have a go at the new trains. I think the press in this country are only happy when they are reporting a negative slant on everything.
You are correct in that! They must ascribe to the reverse of the saying 'no news is good news' - ie Good News is No News....

DGH 1

You are correct in that! They must ascribe to the reverse of the saying 'no news is good news' - ie Good News is No News....
Exactly, if the new trains entered traffic on time, within budget, and ran perfectly out of the box as it were, they wouldn't be interested in reporting on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.