• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Does anybody know what years which class 142s were built in? thanks :)
Based on the initial depot allocation dates recorded in 'The Allocation History of BR Diesel Multiple Units (Part 4)' by Roger Harris, I can provide the following:

1985: 142001-030
1986: 142031-066
1987: 142067-096

Though as these are delivery/initial allocation dates, the frames would have been initially laid down at least a couple of months earlier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IamTrainsYT

Based on the initial depot allocation dates recorded in 'The Allocation History of BR Diesel Multiple Units (Part 4)' by Roger Harris, I can provide the following:

1985: 142001-030
1986: 142031-066
1987: 142067-096

Though as these are delivery/initial allocation dates, the frames would have been initially laid down at least a couple of months earlier.
Great, thanks :)

WesternLancer

Established Member
For anyone who’s a little bit bored inside, I filmed this earlier. Now with a nice clean blind box
Now if Mark E Smith was still with us he could have used that on stage for a rendition of Hit the North!

I've often thought those rather nice wooden ladders fitted in pacers would be handy to have one around the house. Must be a few of them about?

IamTrainsYT

Now if Mark E Smith was still with us he could have used that on stage for a rendition of Hit the North!

I've often thought those rather nice wooden ladders fitted in pacers would be handy to have one around the house. Must be a few of them about?
Was looking at one of those ladders while arriving into Manchester Victoria, you can really see where people have heard on during the last 35 years! I’m sure you would possibly be able to get hold of one as I don’t think there is any scrap value for them.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Was looking at one of those ladders while arriving into Manchester Victoria, you can really see where people have heard on during the last 35 years! I’m sure you would possibly be able to get hold of one as I don’t think there is any scrap value for them.
No - little value as scrap - poss decent value as a ladder tho as they look good quality.

Karl

On Moderation
I often wondered what they were there for. Disembarkation in an emergency perhaps? Do other units have a ladder too?

WesternLancer

Established Member
I often wondered what they were there for. Disembarkation in an emergency perhaps? Do other units have a ladder too?
Good question - I always assumed it was disembarkation but now you mention it....?

or was it for early ideas about tram / train services and people getting on or off:lol:

deltic14

Looks like some 142s are off to Eastleigh from Gascoigne Wood tomorrow. Think they may be for component recovery
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K04065/2020-03-31/detailed

I am not convinced.... It is pathed as a diesel loco. I am not aware of any barrier vehicles that could be used in this situation. There is a lot of HST stock and redundant Freightliner coal hoppers at Gascoigne Wood which to my mind are more likely. Furthermore with a massive reduction in passenger services who needs the spares ?

SteveyBee131

Definitely some sort of coaching stock with a 5 headcode. Empty coal hoppers would usually be a 4 headcode, unless there's a crippled one in the rake which would reduce the permitted speed.
So could only be HST or Pacers with what's at Gascoigne Wood.

On Moderation
Presume this will be ex LNER powercars/coaching stock for overhaul prior to being transferred to LSL at Crewe.
There are no surplus HST vehicles at Gascoigne Wood: everything there is for EMR.

SteveyBee131

That would sound better, as 23 is earmarked for preservation and so didn't sit right in my head! It would appear to have been incorrectly logged on Railcam

Phil Scott

142089/032/014 confirmed, arrived Eastleigh 40 mins early. Ta for the heads up - daily exercise duly brought forward.
Presumably they are there for scrapping by Raxstar? It's a shame that vehicle 55555 (from 142014) wasn't preserved, but nevermind!

Spirit555

I have heard, though unconfirmed that they are for the Swanage Railway.

Someone maybe able to confirm this

Mark

barrow trains

Evening, anyone know if this is likely to be the end of the 144s if they were planning to stop after May TT change. Or were they meant to stay on a bit longer? Cheers :)

warwickshire

On Moderation
Evening, anyone know if this is likely to be the end of the 144s if they were planning to stop after May TT change. Or were they meant to stay on a bit longer? Cheers :)
Prior to March 6th 2020. And before virus Iwas told via various sources and especially local rail user groups that some 144 would have remained on 1. Sheffield to York ie for heaton T&R.S.M.D. stock maintenance balancing. 2. Sheffield to gainsborough/adwick to Doncaster diagrams but less than there was originally diagrammed and planned to run before may timetable change. 3. Finally Sheffield to huddersfield x1 diagram but that would be the first to end when platform works on line is complete. Nb it would have been For a small period from may timetable change to end July/middle August at latest. However pls note due to virus situation, and service status ufn , ie seeing a total change as it is now, means no one off us knows for sure.

Plymdan

I've had a look at the railway that 023 is going to and their is no news about it. I know it's not till May that its moving. Is it definitely confirmed that is moving there?

_toommm_

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.