• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
All these 144s just down the road in Keighley. Anyone know where I can hire a cutting torch?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
First of all it would rule it out either way because I didn't know that an off lease train had to go back to depot for a handback inspection after its last day with a TOC. My idea was to have it decouple from a 15x at Keighley to then take it to oxenhope empty but now that I know it needs a handback inspection (likely in a National Rail depot) I see no chances of it ever happening now.

While we're talking about 144011, it was originally due to transfer from Northern to KWVR in May so if it doesn't run again before the transfer date then Yes I agree it should have its handback checks at Keighley or Oxenhope (or where ever the rest of KWVR's trains are stored) but If not, I think Northern and Porterbook would want to do the handback checks at either Neville Hill or Holbeck
I'm not sure of the ins and outs of a handback inspection, but in the case of units which aren't being cascaded to another operator it may simply be a formality: if the new owners are happy to receive it "as is" then Porterbrook may also be fine with Northern handing it back "as is". However that'll be for the management of the three organisations (Northern, Porterbrook and the KWVR) to agree.

Does 016 have a different colour centre car
All centre cars are plain old Northern purple.

B&Q, but why do you need a torch
A cutting torch, also known as an acetylene torch or gas-axe, is the tool of choice for dismantling large metal objects such as railway vehicles.

Mat17

There are 16 out of 23 units at Keighley - all except 008, 015, 018, 019, 021, 022 and 023 are now at Keighley.

Now that's quite a collection of spare part donor vehicles for 144011! ;)

Where's 144018 at the moment? Had a rather interesting journey on that many years ago when it struck a discarded fire extinguisher on the line outside Barnsley, which damaged several cables underneath and the train ground to a halt and required rescuing. It was also the last unrefurbished 144 I travelled on. It must have been pulled back into service unexpectedly as a few of the bench seats were already missing meaning in some places there was more than 'ample' legroom. Would love to see this set preserved.

trainmania100

Established Member
Sorry I'm a bit slow but what's happening with the 144s? Are those not preserved bound for scrap after their wait at Keighley ?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Most of the fleet has been stopped due to the virus crisis. Whether they will return will depend on how quickly things start to return to normal. If the current situation lasts 6 months, the derogations will need renewing before they can return even if there is work for them.

Ultimately nobody can say for certain what will happen, but it is entirely possible that those that have been stood down may never run in service again. But we will have to wait and see.

adh144004

Spotted through gaps in the foliage whilst I waited in line at the local supermarket.

Attachments

• Pacer_1.PNG
    Pacer_1.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 144
  • Pacer_2.PNG
    Pacer_2.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 132
  • Pacer_3.PNG
    Pacer_3.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 135

adh144004

These four units (144003/16/09/xx) were in the siding off the main line link and nearest to the supermarket. When I came back out with my shopping, four further units were being shunted on the link line (144019/22/02/xx) and many more could be seen over the other side - on the climb out of the KWVR station. Hopefully they will get them all up the line away from this area as the boundary protection isn't great (plenty of CCTV cameras I suppose but they're not a deterrent to all).

On Moderation
These four units (144003/16/09/xx) were in the siding off the main line link and nearest to the supermarket. When I came back out with my shopping, four further units were being shunted on the link line (144019/22/02/xx) and many more could be seen over the other side - on the climb out of the KWVR station. Hopefully they will get them all up the line away from this area as the boundary protection isn't great (plenty of CCTV cameras I suppose but they're not a deterrent to all).
I assume 144019/022 arrived on this? https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/10718/2020-04-04/detailed

That means all 144s are stored and Northern is a Pacer free zone.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

I can guarantee you they will not be going up the line for quite some time!

Harvey B

Most of the fleet has been stopped due to the virus crisis. Whether they will return will depend on how quickly things start to return to normal. If the current situation lasts 6 months, the derogations will need renewing before they can return even if there is work for them.

Ultimately nobody can say for certain what will happen, but it is entirely possible that those that have been stood down may never run in service again. But we will have to wait and see.
Do you mean, they'll need renewing even if there isn't work for them?
If so, why would they need renewing if they won't be used in passenger service again?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I can guarantee you they will not be going up the line for quite some time!
Presumably because of the aforementioned blockage at Ingrow? (And also because there's no point, with the possible exception of 011 if it ends up being handed over early and all parties agree to it)

Hopefully the KWVR is getting some much needed income from this temporary storage.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Do you mean, they'll need renewing even if there isn't work for them?
If so, why would they need renewing if they won't be used in passenger service again?
No, I meant that if they're needed again once the full timetable is resumed but AFTER the current derogations expire, Northern will have to get a further derogation from the DfT. Obviously if they aren't needed there's no point in getting a new derogation.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Presumably because of the aforementioned blockage at Ingrow? (And also because there's no point, with the possible exception of 011 if it ends up being handed over early and all parties agree to it)

Hopefully the KWVR is getting some much needed income from this temporary storage.

Absolutely. Until we can get back in and get that job done moving them further than Ingrow is a moot point!

Harvey B

No, I meant that if they're needed again once the full timetable is resumed but AFTER the current derogations expire, Northern will have to get a further derogation from the DfT. Obviously if they aren't needed there's no point in getting a new derogation.
Oh thanks, I was confused by what you meant. I think that they probably won't be needed again once the derogations expire. But I also think that Northern may keep some Pacers as route learning vehicles once normal timetables resume (in case they have no avaliable stock for them to do driver training)

M60lad

Going off topic but I seem to have missed something here what's actually happened at Ingrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.