• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
No, they've not been in service for several months.
ah thanks - not so easy to find the up to date list on the Pacer withdrawal list when I looked at that thread.
So that was the last NT pacer then today?

Just GW and TfW Pacer fleet for the BBC to track down....?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just been featured on the 6.30 p.m. BBC1 North West local news programme. Was mentioned that it wasn't pre-advertised to try to ensure that this last ever Pacer service wasn't packed out.
What's the programme called - I can't find it on iplayer.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"BBC North West Tonight". Usually broadcast 6.30 p.m. - 7.00 p.m. Mon - Fri on BBC1 in the North West of England.

HarryL

If the worn wheels are the reason they're being taken out of service now, can we expect the remaining ones with TfW and GWR to follow suit rather soon? Probably with the same surprise announcement on the day.

WesternLancer

Established Member
What's the programme called - I can't find it on iplayer.

20 mins in. Usually only on i player for a day or so after broadcast

complete with stock film of....err a 150 DMU. which viewers will be able to enjoy for some years to come.

So when the last Jag runs off the production line can we expect the BBC to show some stock footage of a Ford Focus?

yorksrob

Veteran Member

complete with stock film of....err a 150 DMU. which viewers will be able to enjoy for some years to come.

So when the last Jag runs off the production line can we expect the BBC to show some stock footage of a Ford Focus?

Ah cheers for that.

At least some enthusiasts got to see it out !

Ewan M

Tbh I’m a bit sad to see the remaining Northern 142s withdrawn as I used to go on them a lot back when my grandparents used to stay in West Yorkshire. Take it they will at some point be sent to Gascoigne Wood or Worksop for storage?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Tbh I’m a bit sad to see the remaining Northern 142s withdrawn as I used to go on them a lot back when my grandparents used to stay in West Yorkshire. Take it they will at some point be sent to Gascoigne Wood or Worksop for storage?
I believe they're crossing the Pennines to be used on route learning and driver training runs in Yorkshire.

Bob Price

Lazy journalism from BBC NW trotting out the old 'bus body on freight frames' line. The 140 may have been close but the 142's weren't

Trackman

Established Member

Is that the Todmorden curve with the 150s?
Anyway, trying to keep OT, I remember when they first came in and I tried to find the guards van to buy an excess. (don't laugh!)

WesternLancer

Established Member
Was there any publicity for the last Northern 144 run, and when was it? Or did all the 144s go into the store eg at KWVR but not rtn to service? I must have missed that if so.

JRT

No, they've not been in service for several months.
From twitter earlier.

Today marks the final passenger service operated by a Pacer train on Northern. The 1636 from Kirkby is due to arrive in to Manchester Victoria imminently where it will then make it's final journey to the depot.

ed1971

Was there any publicity for the last Northern 144 run, and when was it? Or did all the 144s go into the store eg at KWVR but not rtn to service? I must have missed that if so.
I don't think so. The 144s were going to run until May 2020, but the reduction in services caused by the first lockdown saw their earlier withdrawal from service. Details here: http://preserved.railcar.co.uk/Class144.html

warwickshire

On Moderation
I don't think so. The 144s were going to run until May 2020, but the reduction in services caused by the first lockdown saw their earlier withdrawal from service. Details here: http://preserved.railcar.co.uk/Class144.html
The original plan before lockdown one was the end of March 2020. The first batch off 144s would have come out off service. The second batch on the may timetable change off 2020. Then to approximately end July 2020 around 5 to 6 would have kept for Huddersfield to Sheffield x3 only. And x1 for a peak Sheffield to Leeds service only in order to return to Heaton T&R.S.M.D via the night from York for maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was a revised piece on the BBC1 North West local news programme at around 10.35 p.m. last night (Friday) which omitted the lengthy footage of the 150.

bengley

Established Member
I travelled on the last one from Hag Fold to Victoria last night. It was good to see quite an unexpected turnout for it.

KXXVo49.jpg

6cnafsZ.jpg

PPFYckn.jpg

Am90LtJ.jpg

WesternLancer

Established Member
The BBC production team or Pacer trains generally? :lol:
haha - the former of course. I doubt many in the production team at the BBC will last the full 35 years + time in preservation service....

welsh 142s are also rumoured to be leaving its the end of the road for pacers
What's the situation with welsh pacers? Is there a thread on that somewhere? If not surely time for one

Status
Not open for further replies.