• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
From twitter earlier.

Today marks the final passenger service operated by a Pacer train on Northern. The 1636 from Kirkby is due to arrive in to Manchester Victoria imminently where it will then make it's final journey to the depot.

That was a 142, there have been no 144s in service for several months.

peters

On Moderation
They seem to have squeezed them out quietly without fanfare.

It would be irresponsible to make a big deal of it and get a large gathering of train enthusiastics when we're supposed to limit non-essential movements and not to gather in groups.

Bob Price

It would be irresponsible to make a big deal of it and get a large gathering of train enthusiastics when we're supposed to limit non-essential movements and not to gather in groups.
Agree, though it would have given a lot of people excuses to wear their railway face masks

Anonymous10

Established Member
haha - the former of course. I doubt many in the production team at the BBC will last the full 35 years + time in preservation service....

What's the situation with welsh pacers? Is there a thread on that somewhere? If not surely time for one
yes search Welsh pacer withdrawals

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
haha - the former of course. I doubt many in the production team at the BBC will last the full 35 years + time in preservation service....
As it happens, a couple of long time BBC NW staff reporters have left in recent months, Stuart Flinders (30 years) and Dave Guest (37 years).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd have liked to have gone on a farewell railtour on a 144. Preferably taking in the Little North Western,

ChrisMcBride

With the withdrawal of Northern's 142s and the 144s not returning following the lockdown earlier this year this effectively means i will never see a Pacer in service on the national rail network ever again since i live in Scotland thankfully 142s and 144s have went to heritage railways and museums

warwickshire

On Moderation
Does anyone know further on the x6 Pacers stored, at Eastleigh about their withdrawals?

However since Eastleigh Arlington are experts in dismantling and component recovery come beginning off leaf season, why didn't they with Northern investigate the possible reuse off the wheelsets from those Pacers. To see the others on northern to the end off the leaf season.

Last edited by a moderator:

IamTrainsYT

6cnafsZ.jpg

PPFYckn.jpg

Didn’t know I made myself so noticeable across that evening! :lol:

ed1971

2nd January 1982 all over again.

Well, not quite!
I don't want to sound pedantic, but if we take into account the Class 141s, that worked from Leeds Neville Depot, then Pacers have served the North for 36 years altogether.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The rumour that one was out on Saturday proved unfounded. Friday was definitely the last day. Now the task is to get all services (partially) operated by Pacer (back) up to booked 4-car by spring, as that's the predicted next surge in travel and some people returning to offices (winter months are unpopular COVID or no COVID)

warwickshire

On Moderation
The rumour that one was out on Saturday proved unfounded. Friday was definitely the last day. Now the task is to get all services (partially) operated by Pacer (back) up to booked 4-car by spring, as that's the predicted next surge in travel and some people returning to offices (winter months are unpopular COVID or no COVID)
If it wasn't for the 142 wheelset issues, would they have had further dispensation to the spring? Or would they have ended on the 12th of December timetable change anyway?

Any knowledge on this is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

ed1971

If it wasn't for the 142 wheelset issues, would they have had further dispensation to the spring? Or would they have ended on the 12th of December timetable change anyway?

Any knowledge on this is much appreciated.
I seem to recall that when the 142s got new Voith final drives about 2014, Voith also supplied new wheelsets. I would like to know if the 142 wheels are solid or do they have a detachable metal tyre that can be replaced? Is there no other rolling stock, such as freight wagons that use interchangeable wheels to the Pacers?

Status
Not open for further replies.