• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
One thing about 014 was that it was slightly more likely to receive an NRN call from the TOC control in the 55555 cab if they were training a newby controller how to contact an NRN radio, due to its vehicle number.

IamTrainsYT

Many thanks, must be 2 units they're getting then.
Someone at the east Kent railway has said “I can confirm the EKR have agreed to purchase 036. I can also confirm that 017 will be residing with the EKR” this sounds like they own 036 and a private owner has 017 with it living at the EKR

IamTrainsYT

anyone know whats happening with the 8 pacers at heaton? northern have dispensation to run them but they dont seem to be moving them down any time soon

> on the topic of that the pacer rail group were saying they are looking to buy a pacer currently still on the mainline that will be available in a few weeks anybody know what pacers are still left in service with bench seats as they are most likely to get one with bench seats.

Mat17

Actually on the topic of the withdrawn units, are any preservation movements thinking about acquiring the bench seats from the 142 being scrapped? The reason I ask is that the 143/4 sets that are up for preservation will come with their current interiors. It'd be great to see some of these retro fitted to as new condition, bus seats and all. I really liked the 144s pre-refurb, it'd be nice to experience that again rather than the current claustrophobic environments they have.

On Moderation
Actually on the topic of the withdrawn units, are any preservation movements thinking about acquiring the bench seats from the 142 being scrapped? The reason I ask is that the 143/4 sets that are up for preservation will come with their current interiors. It'd be great to see some of these retro fitted to as new condition, bus seats and all. I really liked the 144s pre-refurb, it'd be nice to experience that again rather than the current claustrophobic environments they have.
The 143s would be better kept with their Chapman seats - way more comfortable than the originals.

D1065

Absolutely no clue, Kingsbury seems to be very quiet about the whole thing whereas Newport docks and booths are very open. If, like me your trying to see it I’m sorry but I don’t think there is any chance you will get to see it :(
There is a way for a member of the public to legitimately visit EMR's site at Kingsbury - see here: https://uk.emrlocal.com/regions/how-you-can-sell-to-us/ and here: https://uk.emrlocal.com/kingsbury-scrap-metal
You'll need to take something that they will buy for scrap, though!
Bear in mind that you'll almost certainly not be allowed to wander around the site, so the best you can hope is that the unit(s) that you want to see are visible from the car park/public office area, if they are still intact.
Good luck!

IamTrainsYT

There is a way for a member of the public to legitimately visit EMR's site at Kingsbury - see here: https://uk.emrlocal.com/regions/how-you-can-sell-to-us/ and here: https://uk.emrlocal.com/kingsbury-scrap-metal
You'll need to take something that they will buy for scrap, though!
Bear in mind that you'll almost certainly not be allowed to wander around the site, so the best you can hope is that the unit(s) that you want to see are visible from the car park/public office area, if they are still intact.
Good luck!
Another legitimate way would be know how to drive pacers and work for freightliner or GBRF :D

IamTrainsYT

The pacer rail group said:
Move a pacer

The Pacer Rail Group are raising funds to facilitate movement of a class 142 to a heritage site, they have almost secured the unit and location however costing to move the set are estimated at around £2000 per carriage. It would be great to see another set preserved!

Read more & donate here – https://www.gofundme.com/f/6nzpwn-m...utm_medium=chat&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet
looks like we will be seeing another pacer preserved soon, one that is currently on the mainline. They have said they do not want to announce the number at present as somebody else might buy it just before them and after what happened with 142017 i dont think they want to loose out again!

On Moderation
looks like we will be seeing another pacer preserved soon, one that is currently on the mainline. They have said they do not want to announce the number at present as somebody else might buy it just before them and after what happened with 142017 i dont think they want to loose out again!
That says to me they haven't actually secured it then. Until you have written confirmation from the owner (and preferably signed contract), you haven't got anything.

IamTrainsYT

You can have all the money in the Bank of England - until you have agreement from the owner, you haven't got anything. It's basic commercial knowledge.
Look. I never said they are buying one. I don’t know why your having a go at me because I’m not the pacer rail rail group. I’m simply repeating what they said :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Southern Dvr

Just moving along slightly, are the Class 144s in considerably better condition then the 142s?

Just wondering why the 142s are being sent off to scrap with the 144s having the derogation when less crew sign 144s than 142s.

my gut feeling is that the 142s are the ones that were on the news and target of the disdain, whereas the similar 144s weren’t in the firing line in quite the same way?

BR 45111

Convoy to Kingsbury just passed Primrose Hill , Rotherham, started off 23 late , picked up 8 minutes by here , 024 leading , 054 on the back , not sure what the filling was in the middle.

IamTrainsYT

Convoy to Kingsbury just passed Primrose Hill , Rotherham, started off 23 late , picked up 8 minutes by here , 024 leading , 054 on the back , not sure what the filling was in the middle.
062 was in the middle when they arrived at gas wood

YorksDMU

Just moving along slightly, are the Class 144s in considerably better condition then the 142s?

Just wondering why the 142s are being sent off to scrap with the 144s having the derogation when less crew sign 144s than 142s.

my gut feeling is that the 142s are the ones that were on the news and target of the disdain, whereas the similar 144s weren’t in the firing line in quite the same way?

I think it must be to do with the 144’s having aluminium bodies compared to the 142’s having steel bodies by Leyland Bus. Therefore with the bodies not rusting, it must have had a part in the decision to keep them running in this period of time. I hope this is of help.

deltic14

How many remain at Gascoigne Wood? Must only be a few left now.
By my reckoning there are 12:
003 / 007 / 009 / 014 / 028 / 032 / 034 / 046 / 049 / 056 / 060 / 089 assuming 062 was the middle set of todays convoy. Can anybody confirm that it was ?

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.