• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
142s were only crowd busters and there are no "crowds" to speak of for a while, so unlikely.

Can Sprinters released from the Manchester area take on all 144 duties in Yorkshire?
Not sure about the numbers, though I expect demand may well fall enough that doubling-up will only be required on peak services and those which match shift changes at essential workplaces. Marginal routes like Huddersfield to Bradford or Castleford will probably end up going 2-hourly. Across Northern's area as a whole, that could well see off the 144s, maybe even the 153s.

Once normality resumes that might be a problem, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Is that a cracked windscreen too? Surely that can't be allowed in any sort of passenger service?

No cracks or bird poo. It's foam from the windscreen washer which has lain after the wiper has returned to parked position following use.

Whisky Papa

It seems to me that there will be no need for them after this week. Yesterday afternoon Newton Heath depot was fairly full of class 150 / 156 sets as a result of cancelled services. There were not enough people around during the rush hour to warrant any four car formations. With service reductions planned for next week I think it very unlikely the 142's will be used. For the record yesterday 004 and 090 were in the sidings next to the Rochdale line hemmed in by a 156 set. 078 was on the 14:23 Wigan to Blackburn diagram and had a lamp attached to the front because of a faulty headlight. 058 should have worked the 17:36 to Southport with 156 452 but there was no available guard and the service was cancelled. According to RTT the 14:23 Wigan diagram worked today but I don't know what was on it andView attachment 75618 the 17:36 Southport was cancelled.

There was definitely a 142 on the return Blackburn - Wigan Wallgate working (2L71) yesterday (Friday), I looked up from washing-up to see it pass the house at 1650. It did make me think at the time, was this the last time I would see one in service?

Mack91

Hi, not sure if this has already been covered but there was talk a little while ago that 144019 was in store. I can confirm that it has been out last week and today, working the Sheffield -Huddersfield diagram.

Jack

IamTrainsYT

Hi, not sure if this has already been covered but there was talk a little while ago that 144019 was in store. I can confirm that it has been out last week and today, working the Sheffield -Huddersfield diagram.

Jack
That might have been me guessing it was in storage as it was not out, thanks for sharing :)
142058 was on the Wigan - Blackburn diagram yesterday along with a 150/2

View attachment 75652
Lovely picture :)

also welcome to the forum both of you :)

Mack91

Thank you! - I've followed this for a while now, but not really had any information that wasn't already in the forum! Anything that I notice, most likely about 144s, I will post onto here.

Jack

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

WesternLancer

Established Member
Reminds me to say that for these units being preserved the heavy interior clean they so desperately need will be a pretty hefty task to embark on - I wish them well.

GoneSouth

144017s Railway has been revealed!
View attachment 75718
Are they having all 3 coaches? Be nice if they give it back its red and cream WY Metro colours instead of that hideous mess of lilac and blue. Who ever thought that was a good livery, shocking. I guess it first entered service in the WY colours, can anyone confirm this?

Good luck to all involved in preserving this piece of Yorkshire history

WesternLancer

Established Member
Are they having all 3 coaches? Be nice if they give it back its red and cream WY Metro colours instead of that hideous mess of lilac and blue. Who ever thought that was a good livery, shocking. I guess it first entered service in the WY colours, can anyone confirm this?

Good point - did they ever have the green and cream livery or was that just the 141s? I don't think they did - some must have had provincial sector pale blue I guess, or were the 3 car ones always in the nice red and cream scheme?

I have to say I was surprised at just show many Pacers were about at Sheffield when I was there last week. Hard to think these can be disposed on this year - unless there is a lot more stuff coming on stream...

ed1971

Good point - did they ever have the green and cream livery or was that just the 141s? I don't think they did - some must have had provincial sector pale blue I guess, or were the 3 car ones always in the nice red and cream scheme?

I have to say I was surprised at just show many Pacers were about at Sheffield when I was there last week. Hard to think these can be disposed on this year - unless there is a lot more stuff coming on stream...

The Class 144s entered service in the WYPTE red and cream livery, (only the Class 141s carried the green and cream). Around 1994, four Class 144s were repainted in RR livery (I can't remember which units they were but may have been 144011-14). Later on, they all received the later red and cream WYPTE livery. The majority of the Class 143s entered service in Provincial livery, but six, (143020 -25) had Tyne And Wear livery. All 143s were repainted in RR livery when they were moved to Wales in 1991.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
The Class 144s entered service in the WYPTE red and cream livery, (only the Class 141s carried the green and cream). around 1994, four Class 144s were repainted in RR livery (I can't remember which units they were but may have been 144011-14). Later on, they all received the later red and cream WYPTE livery. The majority of the Class 143s entered service in Provincial livery, but six, (143020 -25) had Tyne And Wear livery. All 143s were repainted in RR livery when they were moved to Wales in 1991.
Thanks! Interesting summary.

On Moderation
The Class 144s entered service in the WYPTE red and cream livery, (only the Class 141s carried the green and cream). Around 1994, four Class 144s were repainted in RR livery (I can't remember which units they were but may have been 144011-14). Later on, they all received the later red and cream WYPTE livery. The majority of the Class 143s entered service in Provincial livery, but six, (143020 -25) had Tyne And Wear livery. All 143s were repainted in RR livery when they were moved to Wales in 1991.
It was three 144s that had RR livery: 011-013 as I recall it. Don’t think any of the 3-car sets got RR colours, which rules out 014.

SteveyBee131

It was three 144s that had RR livery: 011-013 as I recall it. Don’t think any of the 3-car sets got RR colours, which rules out 014.
Correct, just 11 to 13 had Regional Railways blue livery and seat moquette, and retained it until the big refurbishment where the bus seats were replaced.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This is correct. The 144s (and 155s, 158/9s and 321/9s) were all delivered in the earlier version of WYPTE Raspberry Ripple with the broad cream stripe. They later got the revised version with a narrower stripe, no gold pinstripe, and Regional Railways branding. The 158s didn't get the narrow stripe version, moving from the original to a variety of Northern Spirit/Arriva-based hybrid liveries.

GoneSouth

This is correct. The 144s (and 155s, 158/9s and 321/9s) were all delivered in the earlier version of WYPTE Raspberry Ripple with the broad cream stripe. They later got the revised version with a narrower stripe, no gold pinstripe, and Regional Railways branding. The 158s didn't get the narrow stripe version, moving from the original to a variety of Northern Spirit/Arriva-based hybrid liveries.
Any of the WYPTE versions (well apart from the green and cream first attempt) looked much better on the pacers than anything from northern spirit and then the lilac mess. Simple, no giant turquoise N, no lilac and no sad face of today’s northern!

Does anybody know how any of the other preserved pacers will be repainted. Valleys, Regional Railway blue etc. Again, RR was simple and made the pacers look pretty good I think.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Any of the WYPTE versions (well apart from the green and cream first attempt) looked much better on the pacers than anything from northern spirit and then the lilac mess. Simple, no giant turquoise N, no lilac and no sad face of today’s northern!

Does anybody know how any of the other preserved pacers will be repainted. Valleys, Regional Railway blue etc. Again, RR was simple and made the pacers look pretty good I think.
Is th green the same as they still are in Wales just wondering

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I think 142001 is planned to be returned to the GMPTE orange it was delivered in, but I'm not certain.

IamTrainsYT

Nice news!
Nice in the not so nice times
Reminds me to say that for these units being preserved the heavy interior clean they so desperately need will be a pretty hefty task to embark on - I wish them well.
Yes I might be doing a bit of that on another unit :|o_O:'(

Yep, all 3 coaches. At least it’s not white and blue (sorry grey and blue ;)) no idea on the livery atm

Believe it was only the 141s, apart from 2 150/0s and a few 769s they have absolutely nothing else coming in - so the short forming and cancellations continue :s
Correct, just 11 to 13 had Regional Railways blue livery and seat moquette, and retained it until the big refurbishment where the bus seats were replaced.
It’d be interesting to see a railway refit bench seats into a 144

004 is going to be in GMPTE orange - at the moment can still not say who owns it
Is th green the same as they still are in Wales just wondering
No that’s turquoise - I belive this is the green being talked about:
upload_2020-3-24_17-24-31.jpeg
Photo credit
I think 142001 is planned to be returned to the GMPTE orange it was delivered in, but I'm not certain.
It will be, yes

Anonymous10

Established Member
Nice in the not so nice times

Yes I might be doing a bit of that on another unit :|o_O:'(

Yep, all 3 coaches. At least it’s not white and blue (sorry grey and blue ;)) no idea on the livery atm

Believe it was only the 141s, apart from 2 150/0s and a few 769s they have absolutely nothing else coming in - so the short forming and cancellations continue :s

It’d be interesting to see a railway refit bench seats into a 144

004 is going to be in GMPTE orange - at the moment can still not say who owns it

No that’s turquoise - I belive this is the green being talked about:
View attachment 75732
Photo credit

It will be, yes
Ah ok many thanks I wasn't sure as the turquoise seems green to me

Neptune

Established Member
144017 was actually unique when it was in the 2nd, regional railways derived, WY Metro/Cream livery. It was the first to receive this scheme after its prolonged rebuild between 1992 & 1994 after sustaining heavy collision damage at Skipton (especially at the 55840 end). The ‘Regional Railways’ lettering was in white below the cream line whereas all other units (excluding 144011-013 in standard RR livery) had the lettering in red on the cream line.

ed1971

I am pleased to hear that 142001 and 142004 are going to be repainted into GMPTE orange livery. However, it won't be 100% authentic, as I believe that these two units had been repainted into the new GMPTE livery before having the new two leaf doors. The repainting of 142s in the mid 1990s was somewhat haphazard, as some units had got the new doors after having a repaint and were going around with bright yelllow doors. Also some units got the new doors before repainting. I can confirm that for a short time in early 1994, 142012 was in service after overhaul in the old orange GMPTE livery sporting new bright yellow doors. This was probably the only class 142 from 142001-14 to receive the new doors prior to repainting, unless anyone knows differently.

Mat17

I hope some of them make it back into original Provincial Sector livery, which was by far my favourite of the pacer liveries. The 143s looked really smart in this livery.

I also hope that some of the 144s regain their old bus seats (or replicas of them if none exist beyond the ones in that Class 103 DMU).

I wonder if they will get the old partition doors reinstated?

I'm undecided about the Merseyrail 142s and whether I want them hunting to extinction, or whether one should be preserved as a warning to future generations. Kind of like the equipment in York dungeons.

Neptune

Established Member
I am pleased to hear that 142001 and 142004 are going to be repainted into GMPTE orange livery. However, it won't be 100% authentic, as I believe that these two units had been repainted into the new GMPTE livery before having the new two leaf doors. The repainting of 142s in the mid 1990s was somewhat haphazard, as some units had got the new doors after having a repaint and were going around with bright yelllow doors. Also some units got the new doors before repainting. I can confirm that for a short time in early 1994, 142012 was in service after overhaul in the old orange GMPTE livery sporting new bright yellow doors. This was probably the only class 142 from 142001-14 to receive the new doors prior to repainting, unless anyone knows differently.
I saw a fair few 142’s which had the new yellow doors on the original livery (025/026 in Chocolate and Cream and 050/065/066 in Provincial spring to mind as the last 5 units in the original livery).

Several 144’s also had the yellow doors applied to their original metro livery too. 011 springs immediately to mind but I know several more did. I know they had 2 piece from new but these were replaced with new doors and the updated control units. The conductor door control panel on the 144’s had a huge sprung cover flap from new, replaced with the current type common on all fleets after replacement. The main tell tale sign for this is they were also fitted with the circular emergency door release on the outside when done. Funnily enough 144017 initially had the original doors/panels still fitted after rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.