• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mancy Mike

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
There is a pacer fest on the Airedale Line today!

Full workings here : https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...20-05-09/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

For info this is to keep the units available if needed, although there is currently no need or plan for them in the first or second phases of Northern's service level increases. These runs are for rotation tests, keep all the fluids and levels right, and battery charging purposes - not a sign of imminent return to use!

Ewan M

There is a pacer fest on the Airedale Line today!

Full workings here : https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...20-05-09/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

For info this is to keep the units available if needed, although there is currently no need or plan for them in the first or second phases of Northern's service level increases. These runs are for rotation tests, keep all the fluids and levels right, and battery charging purposes - not a sign of imminent return to use!

Tbh and as much as I don’t want to cast a downer on anyone I don’t see the 144s returning to service sadly

Neptune

Established Member
I saw them at Saltaire heading back to Keighley when I was out on my COVID walk at about half 1.

4 x 2 car 144’s.

Harvey B

Tbh and as much as I don’t want to cast a downer on anyone I don’t see the 144s returning to service sadly
Not even for one last railtour? As much as I don't like them I still think its sad to see them go without a special retirement event

Established Member
Not even for one last railtour? As much as I don't like them I still think its sad to see them go without a special retirement event

I have to agree with Ewan, I very much doubt we'll see a Pacer carrying passengers in the North again.

Much to my delight.

Neptune

Established Member
It would be a sparsely attended rail tour with social distancing expected to continue for some time. I believe people’s health comes first.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It would be a sparsely attended rail tour with social distancing expected to continue for some time. I believe people’s health comes first.
Probably something to be done in a few years as a better late than never thing (kind of like the withdrawals of the Pacers themselves!).

Ewan M

Norther were planning on doing a farewell tour for the 142s but the plans were shelved following the lockdown. Sadly as it stands the Pacers will be bowing out without great fanfare but at least we will see several preserved!

There would have possibly been one, and certainly for the 142 variant. I'm fairly sure of that. The Northern 142 one was at the early discussion stage until early March when it increasingly looked like a non starter.

BUT as we live in usual times the cost of maintaining them and keeping crew current on them at Northern for an unknown date (possibly very late in the year or even next year) will probably prohibit it. And don't forget there's leasing charges. They are only being kept operational as a reserve in case something very unexpected now actually happens before the payment and contract periods end. At least they will be operational to be driven to scrapyards then too. Roading them all probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I wouldn't even like to assume TFW or GW can do anything with their railbus stock either before they end their lease periods (with most between the 2 operators stored during the lockdown anyway). This is just an unfortunate side effect and sad in way but they will not be the only types of railway stock suffering this end to their working lives and more sad is if any surviving rail operators or excursion organisers and the like go in the bin as a side effect. The franchises should be OK as there are OLR plans hiding in the wings post autumn I understand if required. Open access or private companies wouldn't be so lucky though. It can't be helped as we are dug in too deep to the current circumstances once this dreaded thing found our country and many others.

telstarbox

Established Member
On the Guardian website...

Northern Rail is to use the collapse in demand for rail travel caused by the Covid-19 pandemic to finally retire its entire fleet of Pacer trains.

These much-maligned “buses on rails” have become a leaking, squeaking symbol of the underinvestment in northern England in recent years as Northern Rail missed successive deadlines to send them to the railway knacker’s yard.

But at a virtual meeting of the Rail North Committee on Tuesday, politicians including Greater Manchester’s mayor Andy Burnham were told that no pacers will be on the Northern network from this Saturday (18 May).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There haven't been any Pacers in passenger service (as opposed to ECS and transfer moves) since March anyway! Good luck to Northern with no Pacers, having to make consists as long as possible in the weeks going forward!

superkev

Established Member
There haven't been any Pacers in passenger service (as opposed to ECS and transfer moves) since March anyway! Good luck to Northern with no Pacers, having to make consists as long as possible in the weeks going forward!
I suspect what's meant is they will all be off lease from the 18th May timetable change as scheduled.
Where the leasing companys will store them while they await there fate will be interesting.
K

warwickshire

On Moderation
However on the virtual meeting which is on you tube. To watch dated today Tuesday the 11th may. After stating due to issues with covid 19 staff training and 769 and 195 issues. Northern are keeping some pacers 142 and 144 until the end off year as contingency plan. And due to distancing as we reach the end off the year could come into service. Although we tend not to use them. Hopefully not. They may do. This is for all to view on tube mtg is on it. Also one Pacer is being used as a staff train. Also mentioned on it. This can be viewed on you tube. Iff someone could download this onto here for me much appreciated.

warwickshire

On Moderation
However on the virtual meeting which is on you tube. To watch dated today Tuesday the 11th may. After stating due to issues with covid 19 staff training and 769 and 195 issues. Northern are keeping some pacers 142 and 144 until the end off year as contingency plan. And due to distancing as we reach the end off the year could come into service. Although we tend not to use them. Hopefully not. They may do. This is for all to view on tube mtg is on it. Also one Pacer is being used as a staff train. Also mentioned on it. This can be viewed on you tube. Iff someone could download this onto here for me much appreciated.
It's on you tube called transport for the north ie around 48 to 50 minutes

Harvey B

Sinec they are going off lease this weekend will 144011 stay at keighley until the bridge at ingrow is replaced or will it go back to the leasing Porterbook (which is what I assume will be happening to the rest of the 144s)

Swimbar

According to Nick Donovan no Pacers will be used in regular service from 18th May but a number of 142's and 144's currently in store will be kept to the end of the year in case they are needed!

Neptune

Established Member
According to Nick Donovan no Pacers will be used in regular service from 18th May but a number of 142's and 144's currently in store will be kept to the end of the year in case they are needed!
Have you got the source for that? Have they extended the derogation for them? I only ask because the derogation for both classes runs out well before then.

Swimbar

Have you got the source for that? Have they extended the derogation for them? I only ask because the derogation for both classes runs out well before then.

Mr Donovan said: “From the 18th of May there will be no pacers in passenger service, although there will be one running as a staff train, rather than them using taxis.

“We’ll be keeping a small number of pacers – 142s and 144s – that are currently in storage and will be a contingency fleet until the end of the year, although we’re hoping not to use those, but to keep in such a form to use as a contingency.”

I think that a number of derogations will be extended from the end of June due to the current virus!

Neptune

Established Member

Mr Donovan said: “From the 18th of May there will be no pacers in passenger service, although there will be one running as a staff train, rather than them using taxis.

“We’ll be keeping a small number of pacers – 142s and 144s – that are currently in storage and will be a contingency fleet until the end of the year, although we’re hoping not to use those, but to keep in such a form to use as a contingency.”

I thing that a number of derogations will be extended from the end of June due to the current virus!
Cheers.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Should have the derogation extended until New Year's Eve 2020

Nota Bene: this is not an excuse to actively use Pacers: it's a CYA for Northern and all other operators.

Plymdan

I do wonder if some of those 142 units that were meant to be going to Preserved Railways will now go or whether some will be put up for sale or scrap again due to railways struggling. I know many are in warm store but the question is for how long will they keep them there.

One imagines if and when they get back to Normal service they are likely to need the 769's in service to be able to fully get rid of Pacers without causing significant short forms as well as all the 195's, which maybe why they want to retain some as contingency.

Adam0984

The 144s at Keighley were shuffled around to get them in the right order as some are leaving by road at some point

YorksDMU

And thank goodness for that, no more, when I return to travelling by train, will I have to wonder if the train will be formed of one.

ed1971

I stopped using public transport around 18th February. It was the last week of off peak operation of Northern's remaining four Class 142s. (After I had been sneezed and coughed over on a bus, I felt that public transport was unsafe due to the emerging Covid-19 pandemic).

For the past 4-5 years, I have been saying to friends that once the Pacers are withdrawn, I will be travelling by trains much less (for the first time since 1984); the claustrophobic nature and excessive engine noise levels of their Class 150 replacements causes me too much stress and anxiety. i liked nothing better on a hot day than to sit on the bench seats near the doors on Pacers and feel the breeze coming in. They provided a good source of fresh air, that was ideal in the Pandemic that we now find ourselves in.
I was intending to get a few last rides on 144s, but the pandemic put pay to that.

The following link is more to do with bars and cafes, but may have some relevance to trains and buses as well:
https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/...how-establishments-must-consider-ventilation/

Status
Not open for further replies.