• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Just passed through Victoria. Still good looking units they will be missed by the staff maybe not the passengers

Neptune

Established Member
Glad to see 144006 preserved. It has a few firsts under its belt (some personal). First one I saw, first one I worked, first one refurbished with high back seats, first one interior refreshed in Northern blue.

When it comes to units I’ve worked, as mentioned 006 was the first one I worked but also 003 was the last 2 car I worked and 017 was the last 3 car I worked and both are also preserved. Just need 021 to be saved as that was the first 3 car I worked.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Glad to see 144006 preserved. It has a few firsts under its belt (some personal). First one I saw, first one I worked, first one refurbished with high back seats, first one interior refreshed in Northern blue.

When it comes to units I’ve worked, as mentioned 006 was the first one I worked but also 003 was the last 2 car I worked and 017 was the last 3 car I worked and both are also preserved. Just need 021 to be saved as that was the first 3 car I worked.
Some great scores there!

Ref these pacers going to preserved lines generally, there is some serious heavy cleaning to be done on them I would think - but they could well be smart when done!

TheSel

Is this the furthest West that a 144 has ever been?
No. To get there, they passed through Chirk which is slightly further west (3.05 degrees West at Chirk, 3.04 at Gobowen)!

Seriously, good question. Certainly it's further west than Morecambe and Windermere, where I've seen them. Question would be whether they ever worked the Cumbrian Coast.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No. To get there, they passed through Chirk which is slightly further west (3.05 degrees West at Chirk, 3.04 at Gobowen)!

Seriously, good question. Certainly it's further west than Morecambe and Windermere, where I've seen them. Question would be whether they ever worked the Cumbrian Coast.
Touché! :lol:

I didn't think 144s had ever worked the Windermere line, but were regulars until this year on the Morecambe/Heysham line. I'd be surprised if they ever worked the Cumbrian Coast though, as they've always been Leeds-based so won't have been signed by most crews West of the Pennines.

Neptune

Established Member

I didn't think 144s had ever worked the Windermere line, but were regulars until this year on the Morecambe/Heysham line. I'd be surprised if they ever worked the Cumbrian Coast though, as they've always been Leeds-based so won't have been signed by most crews West of the Pennines.
No it was Heaton based 143’s which did the Windermere’s in the early pacer days.

Barrow crews did sign 144’s during the brief period of them working through to Heysham Port, but only on that route. They didn’t escape elsewhere during that period.

TheSel

No it was Heaton based 143’s which did the Windermere’s in the early pacer days.

Barrow crews did sign 144’s during the brief period of them working through to Heysham Port, but only on that route. They didn’t escape elsewhere during that period.

Sorry, @Neptune, I beg to differ. Maybe Sunday rosters were different?

Please see below - 144019 at Windermere, Sunday 18 October 1987, during a North West Rail Rover.

My journey log shows I "enjoyed" (should that read "endured"?) this working the 1205 Oxenholme - Windermere, and 1306 return.

1590497684383.png

1590497706685.png

Neptune

Established Member

Please see below - 144019 at Windermere, Sunday 18 October 1987, during a North West Rail Rover.

My journey log shows I "enjoyed" (should that read "endured"?) this working the 1205 Oxenholme - Windermere, and 1306 return.

View attachment 78502

View attachment 78503
BOOM. I stand corrected. I never knew they made it up there. Very early days too as it hasn’t got its centre car yet.

143’s definitely were common on there when based at Heaton.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

View attachment 78502

View attachment 78503
Well I stand corrected! Those pics show how much better (in my opinion) the first version of Metro red was than the later version with the narrow stripe.

Also of note is the missing MS vehicle.

adh144004

Whilst shopping today I noticed that 144001 is sat all on it's own down by the main line at Keighley. Is it waiting a move on to a new life somewhere?
IMG_1079.PNG

WesternLancer

Established Member
144001 running as 5Z44 13 late passing through Bingley on what is more than likely it's last journey on the Aire Valley after 30+ years in the area.
View attachment 78647View attachment 78648
Nice to see that - pleased I got a couple of 144 rides in when I was heading for some of the last 142 services just before lockdown.

Is it the case that Northern is now running no Pacer services in regular passenger use at all now? (apols I bet the answer to that is up thread somewhere...)

_toommm_

Established Member
Nice to see that - pleased I got a couple of 144 rides in when I was heading for some of the last 142 services just before lockdown.

Is it the case that Northern is now running no Pacer services in regular passenger use at all now? (apols I bet the answer to that is up thread somewhere...)

It should be no services at the moment. The last 142s operated in Manchester just at peak times (only 2 in the morning IIRC) and the 144s were mainly centred around Sheffield.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.