• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Is Keighley still full of 144's?
Just wondering for how much longer they will be stored there, especially as preservation sites seem to be in the early stages of waking up.

Yes. There are currently 15 x 144s stabled at Keighley.

I understand one or two may be departing to pastures new in the next week or so.

If they were reorganised there is sufficient space at Keighley to store any remaining 144s and operate KWVR services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crosscity

I'm not the greatest Pacer officianado or enthusiast, but a Google search quickly establishes 142043 and 142055 are Northern pacers so a question about the pacers at Butterley sounds entirely appropriate. I'm more interested in seeing them come through the Midlands to remind me of what we managed to avoid!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'm not the greatest Pacer officianado or enthusiast, but a Google search quickly establishes 142043 and 142055 are Northern pacers so a question about the pacers at Butterley sounds entirely appropriate. I'm more interested in seeing them come through the Midlands to remind me of what we managed to avoid!

Just being a tad pedantic, some parts of the Midlands received Pacers :D if you count places like Lincoln and Retford. Also, Pacers occasionally worked to Crewe which is only just on the border of the Midlands and the North. But were they never used around Birmingham?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just being a tad pedantic, some parts of the Midlands received Pacers :D if you count places like Lincoln and Retford. Also, Pacers occasionally worked to Crewe which is only just on the border of the Midlands and the North. But were they never used around Birmingham?
The prototype 140 ran across the country in the early 80s, including a stint on the Heart of Wales line- Shrewsbury is just about in the West Midlands I guess.

crosscity

We probably are going a bit off-topic here, but I will reply. Perhaps I should have said 'West Midlands' rather than 'Midlands'. I believe when they were first introduced one came to Tyseley for a short while and worked a few services presumably to see whether they would be useful. They were never seen nor heard of again, at least by me, until:

10Jan20. Is this the new stock for the Crosscity Line? Probably not! 142039 and 142057 are at Kings Norton en-route to being broken up at Sims scrapyard, Newport Docks. They are making their own way there as working 5Q78 the 05:30 from Gascoigne Wood Sidings, near Selby.
by Ray, on Flickr

ed1971

A little bit off topic, but I have a question on an operational aspect of Pacers. I remember that during the changeover to Voith gearboxes between 1988 to 1991, modified units could work coupled to ones still fitted with SCG gearboxes.
Indeed, any 142, 143 or 144 could work coupled to a Class 15x. On Flickr there is a picture of an hybrid 142 consisting of half of 142036 and half of 142056 taken in 1989, (https://www.flickr.com/photos/martynhilbert/49400939242).
I am pretty sure that 142036 was an early Voith conversion during 1989, but 14056 was one of the last blue ones converted in 1990. So, would it have been possible to operate a 142 carriage with an SCG gearbox coupled to another carriage with a Voith as the picture would seem to imply?

CF5796EB-E8E4-4CE1-8772-F3C3DBD55E48.jpeg

142065 / 142087 were on an empty coaching stock run from Heaton TMD to Hexham Station and back to Heaton TMD this morning, headcode was 5Z40

3 car 150 due to be leaving Newton Heath tomorrow around 14.00 on its way to Blackburn King Street via Rochdale... Then 2 142s coming back down around 15:15.

Amlag

There are two recently stored serviceable Pacer units now at Gobowen with a long wait for their intended new purpose of running to Oswestry dependant on a new road bdge to replace a LC, that could possibly be hired out for temp.use on the National Network.

Geeves

Established Member
When there are multiple 144s still under the Rosco ownership, it's highly unlikely they would ask for the Gobowen double back, though it would probably be a nice earner for the preservation group.

Mdu 66741

They will all be going out for a spin up and down the Aire Valley again on Saturday, so you will probably catch them moving around depending on times.
Will the 144 pacers at Keighley go to Kirkstall again possibly like last time they did runs from Keighley

Class195

The Morecambe shuttle has been a single unit diagram since May 2018. So there hasn't been a 150 this year. There hasn't been a 150 on a west-side Morecambe diagram since VHF came in and chopped the Liverpool-Morecambes.

The few services that come across from Leeds/Skipton can be 150s, and one of those gets a Wigan crew for the Lancaster-Morecambe legs, but the west-side shuttle, no.

I'm 99% certain I've saw a 150 working Lancaster to Morecambe earlier this year.

It departed from platform one at Lancaster and I'm almost certain it wasn't a service from Leeds.

Zooty

I'm 99% certain I've saw a 150 working Lancaster to Morecambe earlier this year.

It departed from platform one at Lancaster and I'm almost certain it wasn't a service from Leeds.

At the start of the afternoon peak there's a Leeds service that does a double run Lancaster-Morecambe. This is the one that gets a Wigan crew. Could be that one you saw?

Geeves

Established Member
150 001 went to Blackburn and 142090 and 142XXX came south an are back at Newton Heath ready to go back to work in a few weeks. NICE

dave87016

Established Member
150 001 went to Blackburn and 142090 and 142XXX came south an are back at Newton Heath ready to go back to work in a few weeks. NICE

142004 was the other one mate I believe there is a move booked for Monday 22nd June from Heaton - Newton Heath expected to be 4 x 142’s

Anvil1984

Established Member
Lots of STPs from Heaton to Newcastle and return tomorrow, wonder if that’s 142s on test?

All Northern trains are down as STPs until this is over. The 5Z.. services are staff trains to take mainline drivers to and from Heaton depot (instead of taxis) to pick up their units in the morning or drop them off on the night. RTT shows them timed as pacer but they will be 156 or 158 operated

Seems a reasonable thing to do and something I thought they would do. At least it won’t be crowded and the bus seat versions are ideal for social distancing. 142’s often work in pairs with 15x’s

Ewan M

Looks like they’re trying again with the move from Gascoigne Wood to Butterley then Newport Docks on Monday. Has been reported on Fb that 142011 + 142013 will be off to the Midland Railway for preservation with 142051 making its last journey down to Newport.

Last edited:

Class195

At the start of the afternoon peak there's a Leeds service that does a double run Lancaster-Morecambe. This is the one that gets a Wigan crew. Could be that one you saw?

Yes, it was in the afternoon.

Where do the Wigan crew join? Lancaster? Where do the Northern crew go?

Neptune

Established Member
Yes, it was in the afternoon.

Where do the Wigan crew join? Lancaster? Where do the Northern crew go?
The Wigan crew have come PASS from Wigan and the Skipton crew have a break at Lancaster. They are both Northern crews.

adh144004

10 round trips Keighley-Skipton-Kirkstall-Keighley

Four of the five round trip workings ran today, three went to Kirkstall, the last to Bradford Forster Square.
Managed to capture some of the action, 13 of the 15 units stored at Keighley feature here.

Status
Not open for further replies.