• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
I can't see Alderley Edge to Southport loaded in after the 6th of July, which would require a Pacer or two. Is that why so few have returned to Newton Heath?

There's been an update to original plans that would've seen them running in pairs on the Southport and Alderley Edge jobs, presumably because the press would've been absolutely all over it. Now it's with a PRM set on Vic - Blackburn and Picc - New Mills, Rose Hill etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There's been an update to original plans that would've seen them running in pairs on the Southport and Alderley Edge jobs, presumably because the press would've been absolutely all over it. Now it's with a PRM set on Vic - Blackburn and Picc - New Mills, Rose Hill etc.

Thank you for the explanation. Looks like Stockport itself has seen the last of the passenger-carrying Pacers. New Mills and Rose Hill have SK post codes, however both are a fair way from Stockport itself!

Ribbleman

Northern said a few weeks ago that they have no plans to use 142s west of Wigan but they retain the authority to do so if required.

pauljclark555

Thank you for the explanation. Looks like Stockport itself has seen the last of the passenger-carrying Pacers. New Mills and Rose Hill have SK post codes, however both are a fair way from Stockport itself!
Will that also include Sheffield? Would have thought this would have been essential once leisure travel is allowed to recommence with walkers wanting to visit the Hope Valley.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Where is Evolution Pacer 144012 right now, and do we know if there are any imminent plans for it?
Sat at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway doing nothing right now. The 144s have received an extension to their derogation until December, however I don't know if Northern actually intend to return them to service.

Considering how much of a bad state the unit is in whenever it's not needed for revenue service it'll probably be on a one-way trip to stacking the shelves of Tesco.

Killingworth

Established Member
Will that also include Sheffield? Would have thought this would have been essential once leisure travel is allowed to recommence with walkers wanting to visit the Hope Valley.

Currently most Hope Valley Northern services are operating as 2x150s. Edale and most popular spots in the Peak District are gridlocked with cars.

Every station is plastered with a variety of posters warning that trains are for essential users only. Inside the trains capacity is limited with most seats taped out of use.

It's a wonderful sales opportunity, but one that has to be resisted. At present the capacity is adequate but it won't take many to fill it up. Recently big efforts had been made to get students from Sheffield into the Peak particularly the Chinese to Bamford for Ladybower and the Upper Derwent Valley. I understand they may not be being put off!

scottie

There isn't much clarity on the 'essential users only' as from Monday most of the timetable is back to normal for an increase in demand so that must be for non essential travel as well but with one metre rule it still sees limited seats.
My local coach holiday company is now advertising holidays by coach so I don't know how that would work either.

M60lad

Regarding the 'essential travel' ruling, I checked Gov.uk website yesterday and nowhere does it start anymore (or whether it did and its been took off) anything about Public Transport being for essential travel only infact as long as you follow the Government rules and wear a facemask at all times and only travel if you can during off-peak times then travel is alright.

Gaz55

Most operators seem to have dropped the 'essential travel' line from their websites and and social media platforms. Northern being an exception.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Most operators seem to have dropped the 'essential travel' line from their websites and and social media platforms. Northern being an exception.

Problem is Northern know that with an uptick in services and no Pacers (back in service) or 769s (in service yet), many services will be/revert to 2-car!

Neptune

Established Member
There isn't much clarity on the 'essential users only' as from Monday most of the timetable is back to normal for an increase in demand so that must be for non essential travel as well but with one metre rule it still sees limited seats.
My local coach holiday company is now advertising holidays by coach so I don't know how that would work either.
The 2 metre rule still stands. 1 metre plus is only in places where 2 metres is impossible (ie shops). Trains work with the 2 metre rule.

Killingworth

Established Member
Common sense would imply Monday but this is Northern...

From today's Northern Stakeholder update;

"Pacers and Driver Training

The COVID crisis has necessitated a pause in training for both our new trains and Class 769 bi-mode fleet that we will be introducing on our Southport-Alderley Edge services. In order to cover for this delay and protect capacity as we return to more regular service levels we have been granted derogations from the Department for Transport to continue operating a small number of Class 142 until the end of 2020. From next week a small number of services on the following routes will be operated by Pacers.
  • Manchester Piccadilly-Sheffield via New Mills Central
  • Manchester Piccadilly-Rose Hill Marple via Hyde Central
  • Manchester Victoria-Kirkby via Atherton
  • Manchester Victoria-Rochdale
Each Pacer will be coupled to a refurbished PRM compliant unit to ensure that accessibility needs are met and provide a choice of accommodation for our customers.

Driver training has been suspended since the beginning of the COVID crisis in mid-late March. The recommencement of driver training is being overseen on behalf of the industry through the Rail Industry Coronavirus Forum. Two in a cab trials are underway within the industry at present and we are hopeful that following the trials we will be able to roll out the process and recommence some in cab training."

Starting Monday (Updated as of 05/07)

• 5Y90 0603 Newton Heath Depot - Manchester Victoria
  • 5H22 1426 Newton Heath Depot - Manchester Piccadilly
  • 5R00 0612 Longsight Depot - Manchester Piccadilly
  • 5S01 0510 Stockport Depot - New Mills Central
  • 5B60 0609 Newton Heath Depot - Rochdale

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is to discuss Northern Pacer withdrawals only.

For diagrams and allocations, please use the relevant forum section.

If anyone wishes to post their trip reports, you are more than welcome to do this in the trip reports section.

Class195

I’ve just seen six 144s moving through Shipley heading in the Leeds direction.
Where are these going please?
Back into service I hope.

CHAPS2034

I’ve just seen six 144s moving through Shipley heading in the Leeds direction.
Where are these going please?
Back into service I hope.

From RTT looks like a run out to keep them serviceable.

Currently at Kirkstall Up Loop and then back whence they came - due back through Shipley 1429

Class195

Ewan M

Any word on what’s happening with the remaining 142s stored at Gascoigne Wood? (Excluding the two awaiting preservation)

Ewan M

Also it would appear that 144010 is leaving the KWVR by road next week though I don’t know where it is headed to

Ewan M

Second half of 144010 now off to its new home by road from the KWVR. It would appear that it is off to the Weardale Railway

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Going through Keighley station today, the strategic pacer reserve appeared to be absent. Have these moved for good ?

Phil Scott

Is there any indication whether the four 142s remaining at Gasgoigne Wood (142043/045/047/061) have been sold or are for scrap? I haven't included 142036/055 as they've already got homes identified.
Looks like 142061 will be heading for the Mid-Norfolk Railway, so just leaves 142043/045/047 as either looking for homes or waiting to move to the scrap yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.