• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern painting old units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I'll just my name to the long list of people who think that 321 looks terrible. The side clashes awfully and looks like someone got half way along the coach then ran out of purple, and having the yellow wrapping around the front like that, especially so thickly, doesn't suit the 321 at all. The version 1 and 2 Northern liveries are too white, which is boring and get's dirty very quick. The 3rd version of the livery looks very nice though IMHO. The Indigo Blue in particular is lovely and is a great base colour, the lilac complements it nicely and the white provides great contrast. Actually, as far as the contrasting doors go, I think it's got to be the best there is, since it's a big contrast, unlike some liveries (MML for one) where the contrast is quite small, yet it doesn't clash either, so it not only does the job very well, but it also looks great whilst doing it. It's a big contrast (litterally) to some liveries where the contrast isn't that good, and spoils the appearance. The only thing that concerns me is how it will look dirty (very light and very dark colours suffer worst when dirty). At least the black roof won't show up the soot from the exhaust though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Fair enough, but it seems dense to delay yourself by 30-odd minutes just for a units livery (which you cannot see when your on the train).

And discover in a couple of months time (when 321901 has been released) that the next train is also a 321 in the hideous colour scheme! ;)

metrocammel

then il get a GNER to leeds

This is a bit of a pointless argument, but if say you arrive at Donny at xx:20, and the next train to Leeds is the xx:27 stopper to Leeds (which gets in well before the next GNER), it would seems absolutely stupid not to get it! Out of interest, I had a ride on the unit in question yesterday. Inside it looks quite smart actually. Shame to see the retro BR "carriage-art" taken away though. Also the PIS were not working (and there was a hand-made destination on a piece of paper in the front windows!). Surely though, Northern wont paint any other of the dusty-bins in that hideous livery. It realy needs revising PDQ!!

Jordy

Established Member
The PIS hasn't worked at all yet! They really need to get the unit back to wherever it came from, then they can fix the PIS and get rid of the awful colours!

Jordy

Sprog

Established Member
The PIS hasn't worked at all yet! They really need to get the unit back to wherever it came from, then they can fix the PIS and get rid of the awful colours!

Jordy

Beleive its gone back to Kilmarnock now.

Established Member
One of the Northern 150s has managed to find its way onto a Silverlink service today :shock:, and i thought Northern were absolutely desperate for all the stock they could get hold of?:-?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hey! Its my (2nd) local shack!! Good old Stalyvegas. - btw, are you sure that was taken over a year ago, as it only seems like two minutes ago when they put that shelter up (the blue one on the far right of the phot)

Yes, it was during my All Line Rover trip in July 2005.

:kermit:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nope, that's a Northern 321 :)

Scotrail run 320s, similar design, with a lower max speed and a few other differences.

1D53

Established Member
One of the Northern 150s has managed to find its way onto a Silverlink service today :shock:, and i thought Northern were absolutely desperate for all the stock they could get hold of?:-?

A 150 is on loan to Silverlink in exchange for a 321.

Silverlink's 150 are at Donny Wabtec for refurb.

metrocammel

When you say "Northern", was it actually one in Northern colours, or was it a blue star "Northwestern" unit (or a North Eastern Reggie Rail 150/2)

A 150 is on loan to Silverlink in exchange for a 321.

Silverlink's 150 are at Donny Wabtec for refurb.

How long have Silverlink had this unit? Ive never seen it knocking about in the last year on Silverlink - and Northern have definately had the 321 for over a year now.

1D53

Established Member
How long have Silverlink had this unit? Ive never seen it knocking about in the last year on Silverlink - and Northern have definately had the 321 for over a year now.

Only a week or so.

It is 150133 in FNW blue and stars livery.

Established Member

150133 hire started on Friday, it was out on Saturday. This is the first Northern 150 to work down here. It is in theory restricted to the Bedford-Bletchley branch.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
150133 hire started on Friday, it was out on Saturday. This is the first Northern 150 to work down here. It is in theory restricted to the Bedford-Bletchley branch.

Why is this out of interest? Could it not work NLL too?

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
156s-the best of a bad bunch? Certainly beats a 158 for me, shame they are a bit monstrous round here now!
Hmmmm...I'm guessing that I'm the only person around here who likes the Sprinter family of trains then? :|
(Truth be known: The 159s are my favourite of todays rolling stock - Period! 8))

To be honest, I'd rather have a fleet of Class 158s than a fleet of those Gods-awful Class 170s...At least a 158 can seat more, has more standing room, and - Unlike a 170 - Won't break down or have a hydraulic blow-out when climbing a 1:2 hill at 90mph! :tongue3:

So my local company are now swapping a load of their 170s for a fleet of 159s from TransPennine...If you ask me, we (SWT) got the better end of that deal! :D

...Of course, I'm planning to move North at some point in the future (I hate the rat-race down here!) and one of the attractions about living in the North used to be the ability to take a Sprinter to work and back again. Obviously this is no longer the case now unless I somehow manage to swipe a few to take with me, (Not easy, considering I can't fit a 159 down my trouser leg!) but despite my not being keen on the Class 170, I wouldn't be bothered if I was waiting for a train and a 170 turned up. After all...A train is a train at the end of the day, and even I won't deny that a 455 will still get me there! 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

metrocammel

Hail All! <D Hmmmm...I'm guessing that I'm the only person around here who likes the Sprinter family of trains then? :|
(Truth be known: The 159s are my favourite of todays rolling stock - Period! 8))

Some Sprinters aren't too bad, 156's are definately the best of the Sprinters- 158/159's are not Sprinters however, (only 150's are officially- 156's were "Super-Sprinters") 158/9's are in the "Express" family of units- though it is a common misconception.
And how can you say a 159 is the best of todays rolling stock, when you have the proper mk3 coach still running- if you think a 159 is better - you aint lived!!!

devon_metro

Established Member
And how can you say a 159 is the best of todays rolling stock, when you have the proper mk3 coach still running- if you think a 159 is better - you aint lived!!!

Indeed, plenty of them scattered across the country.

How I love living in fGW territory :mrgreen: (Sometimes that is ;))

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Out of all the Junk Central Trains throw on the routes I use, I'd take a 156 any day. Sadly they don't see much use on Citylink, since Citylink trains are supposed to have air conditioning, although it does seem it has to work. This is one of the 156s big advantages though during the summer, since a 156 with opening windows is better than a 170 with no opening windows or a 158 with very few of them, that are usually locked out of use, if the air conditioning isn't working well on the latter (and that can include not only dead altogether, but barely working, set to hot, or set too low). Most of the CT 156s seem in better condition than their 170s and 158s, in particular the latter and the ex-MML former, since the 156s have most recently had big overhauls, wheras the 158s last had work not long after privatisation, and the 170s havn't had anything major since new (and they are getting on for 10 years old now). The fact that I've had no delay minutes from 156s, yet loads from 158s and 170s is a big factor, especially since out of 5 2 hour delays I've had, 2 were directly invovlving 158s failing, and in the other 3 cases 158s and 170s had blaim (one 158 had problems and the delay caused us to be the wrong side of a line closure due to a gas leak, and 2 were down to missing trains, with the later trains either breaking down or being involved in a fatality). I can't think of any real downsides to 156s over the competition either, other than top speed (but this isn't a factor on most CT routes) and ride quality at speed (but all types suffer somewhat at speed, and there are much worse than 156s, especially since certain 100mph EMUs use the same bogies), and they are a bit noisy if you're not in the mood for thrash, but then so are 170s when your sitting near the exhaust end with the connecting doors failed open.

The 158 Man

No you're not on your own! :toothy8:

My favourites are the Sprinter / Super Sprinter and Express families too! :toothy8:

Especially 158s! Kings of the rails! :king: :king: :king:

AlexS

Established Member
They're all Sprinters Metcam, just different varieties of the same family.

150, 153, 155 are Sprinters, 156 are the Super Sprinters and the 158s and 159s are the Sprinter Express.

asopu10

The Central Trains class 170 internal doors never seem to work, and they are all looking a bit worse for wear, but are still the best on centrals flett, the other trains are in even worse condition. The 170's air con is awful when it breaks though since theres no windows that open.

Status
Not open for further replies.