• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Passengers Taking “Direct Action.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul_Duke

BA172B8D-5EF5-405A-9D59-D2CE37D066E6.jpeg 0ABEC200-22C6-409F-A84B-E8BBBE639F89.jpeg 85EA4F04-0A98-4791-A715-FC824AAAA397.jpeg According to Twitter, Northern passengers have refused to let the crew onboard a train they deem to be “overcrowded.”

Apparently they’ve caused a 35 minute delay in order for Northern to “get fined,” by Network Rail.

Delay attribution is not something I have much knowledge of, but it isn’t it still the case that TOC’s don’t get fines for delays caused by disruptive passengers?

So aside from expressing their, entirely understandable frustration, have they done anything apart from make themselves half an hour later home than they would have been?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I can tell all they've done is make everyone's journey worse. Well done.

Andyh82

Established Member
One minute he complains about short forms, next minute he complains about a pacers being used for strengthening.

In any case I’m not sure why this ill informed nonsense had to get an airing on this forum?

Edders23

As far as I can tell all they've done is make everyone's journey worse. Well done.

INCLUDING THEIR OWN !!!!

The problem now is that dissatisfied customers can smell blood and in their minds actions like this will hasten the sacking of the franchise holder

Edders23

perhaps all those passengers should be sent to japan to experience commuting there !!

scrapy

Established Member
Is that Bolton platform 1?

Reason I ask is it looks like a Blackburn/Clitheroe to Rochdale service. Looking back at real time trains I can't see any of these, or anything else from platform 1 running more than 10 minutes late (and that left Hall'in'th'Wood 6 late).

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
Anyone who has the " ok boomer" as their profile name won't get much respect considering it's become a term of insult to older people .

Established Member
Is that Bolton platform 1?

Reason I ask is it looks like a Blackburn/Clitheroe to Rochdale service. Looking back at real time trains I can't see any of these, or anything else from platform 1 running more than 10 minutes late (and that left Hall'in'th'Wood 6 late).

0649 Clitheroe - Rochdale, due at Bolton at 0749, arrived 11 late after an extended stop at Entwistle, departed 35 late after a 25 minute stop. Cancelled at Victoria "due to a problem with the doors" - maybe that was at Entwistle. I suspect the problem at Bolton was the cancellation of the trains at 0755 and 0809 (so after the Clitheroe service if it hadn't been late) causing everyone to pile on the Clitheroe train. A TPE service passed through without stopping while all this was going on.

There was a 40 minute gap in trains departing Bolton for Manchester. 25 minutes of that was this delay, but still, that's totally unacceptable performance.

Last edited:

theking

That train does not even look that busy compared to ones down south at rush hour.

Mogster

We would have been glad of a couple of 142s on the Southport-Alderley Edge services today. Short formed 2 car 150s out and back, ridiculous overcrowding.

CC 72100

Established Member
So their way of taking direct action is stopping the traincrew from boarding ie. transporting the public which is what it is meant to do? Sure, that will help.

Camden

Established Member
The notion is so dimwitted, I don't believe it really happened.

theironroad

Established Member
Only the really sensitive ones

Personally, I don't really give a *, but in general the term has become an insult thrown out in conversation to dismiss and deem irrelevant people of a certain age that the person throwing the ok boomer pejorative doesn't want to listen to, but would rather live in their own echo chamber. #life

scrapy

Established Member
0649 Clitheroe - Rochdale, due at Bolton at 0749, arrived 11 late after an extended stop at Entwistle, departed 35 late after a 25 minute stop. Cancelled at Victoria "due to a problem with the doors" - maybe that was at Entwistle. I suspect the problem at Bolton was the cancellation of the trains at 0755 and 0809 (so after the Clitheroe service if it hadn't been late) causing everyone to pile on the Clitheroe train. A TPE service passed through without stopping while all this was going on.

There was a 40 minute gap in trains departing Bolton for Manchester. 25 minutes of that was this delay, but still, that's totally unacceptable performance.
Ok that train seems to show as cancelled throughout due to congestion. Also shows as cancelled on National Rail live departure boards, looks like a problem with the data input.

Geeves

Established Member
It will just go down to disruptive passengers so it costs Northern nothing at all. Doesn't matter either to the train crew, they get paid to stand on the platform too where as the passengers who are late for work get nothing.

HullRailMan

The best way to show your destain for a business that isn’t providing the service you want is to withdraw your custom.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Its a bit like protesting about climate change by disrupting the most environmentally friendly forms of transport, forcing people to use less environment friendly forms....

When did protesting in this country come to be run by the hard of thinking...??? I thought that was the reserve of politicians...

Camden

Established Member
Again, I don't believe this happened.

No corroborating evidence anywhere. Just some singular berky twitter account showing your average commuter train.

Domh245

Established Member
Its a bit like protesting about climate change by disrupting the most environmentally friendly forms of transport, forcing people to use less environment friendly forms....

The difference there at least is that it seemed to attract plenty of attention, even if a lot of it was negative, but it got the movement in the media. Other than this thread & what was on twitter, this has accomplished nothing!

Purple Orange

On Moderation
The best way to show your destain for a business that isn’t providing the service you want is to withdraw your custom.

How exactly? I commute through south Manchester and driving or getting the bus from the Wilmslow area is simply is not an option. I’m with the passengers on this one. The service is shocking, has been for ages and May 2018 sticks in the craw.

Status
Not open for further replies.