• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Penalty Fare Scheme (as of 14 May 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Two weeks in and I am still yet to hear a verbal announcement on a Harrogate line service regarding the fact it is now a Penalty Fare line!

b9_624

More lines in the scheme from Tuesday 28 August

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/legal/penalty-fares

Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe / Stoke On Trent / Glossop
Huddersfield to Sheffield
Leeds to Sheffield / Nottingham via both the express and stopper routes
Leeds to Doncaster
Leeds to Knottingley / Goole

Do the DfT have to approve each route Northern want to run a PF scheme on individually? I’m staggered the Penistone line’s been approved...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do the DfT have to approve each route Northern want to run a PF scheme on individually? I’m staggered the Penistone line’s been approved...
The recently revised regulations no longer seem to require individual stations or routes to be approved by DfT in the way they used to be.

pemma

Veteran Member
I dot understand how members of this forum still struggle with this concept even after the last big thread about it.

If you get a promise to pay then you exchange it for the ticket you want and I'd northern don' provide that facility then that's their loss.

If you have cash and a card with funds available then use your card I can see very very few reasons as to why you wouldn't unless passengers are being difficult just because they can.

Guards still selling tickets on board will be an internal matter for Northern to address but it does amuse me how much interest people pay to others when travelling on the railway

If you have very limited funds on your card and need them for somewhere where you can't pay by cash?
The TVM refuses to accept your card for no obvious reason? (I've experienced that a lot at Northern TVMs but have never had a transaction either off-line or online fail elsewhere.)
You want a ticket the TVM doesn't sell and don't understand the bizarre process of having to select a ticket that you don't want to get a P2P which shouldn't remove your right to pay by card?

pemma

Veteran Member
Examples of when a Penalty Fare may be charged:

• travel beyond the destination on your ticket

When are Northern going to have a solution in place to allow season ticket holders starting their journey at unstaffed stations to make a journey different to their usual one? Other operators allow you to buy a ticket from the TVM starting at a different station but Northern don't seem to like that idea.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
When are Northern going to have a solution in place to allow season ticket holders starting their journey at unstaffed stations to make a journey different to their usual one? Other operators allow you to buy a ticket from the TVM starting at a different station but Northern don't seem to like that idea.
Northern may claim that m-tickets are the solution to that. Of course, not every phone can download the Northern app.

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern may claim that m-tickets are the solution to that. Of course, not every phone can download the Northern app.

If Northern think m-tickets are the solution then presumably they don't need to ensure all stations in a penalty fare zone have either a ticket office or TVM!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
On the bottom of the PF page on the Northern Website

This web page is intended as a guide and should not be considered a complete or authoritative statement of the law or regulations.

With no indication of where a passenger can get that authoritative information.

johntea

Established Member
I can't see how Knottingley to Goole manages to get upgraded to a penalty fare line, doubt the revenue inspectors are going to be waiting around at stations such as Whitley Bridge all day as they'll get bored quite quickly! Suppose eventually the whole network will be done of course.

Amusingly a poster has now gone up at Castleford station, maybe I should send Northern a promise to fix TVM ticket considering it has been turned off at least 4 weeks straight now!

ASharpe

I've noticed in the last few weeks extra staff selling tickets between Leeds and Shipley (and presumably further). I've seen a few tickets being sold and always for the normal price or with discounts.

Why have a penalty fare scheme and then undermine it by having revenue only staff onboard?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Why have a penalty fare scheme and then undermine it by having revenue only staff onboard?
I’ve seen regular guards on my local PF lines selling Off Peak tickets as a matter of course.

I’m not saying this is the attitude of all staff, but with industrial relations at such a low, who can blame them for taking the commission instead of risking an argument with passengers?

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
I can't see how Knottingley to Goole manages to get upgraded to a penalty fare line, doubt the revenue inspectors are going to be waiting around at stations such as Whitley Bridge all day as they'll get bored quite quickly! Suppose eventually the whole network will be done of course.

I imagine the idea isn't that they are stations like Whitley Bridge but if someone turns up at a larger station saying they travelled from Whitley Bridge they'll get asked for their Promise to Pay notice.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I imagine the idea isn't that they are stations like Whitley Bridge but if someone turns up at a larger station saying they travelled from Whitley Bridge they'll get asked for their Promise to Pay notice.

Who is going to do that when Whitley Bridge only gets 2tpd!

johntea

Established Member
More routes coming from next Monday, 29 October...

Sadly I must be going a bit colour blind as other than the dark blue lines in the map the others look more green than light blue!

Still the scheme means totally different things depending on the staff member! This morning on board "I'll be coming down the train to sell tickets you need to buy one if you don't have one as this is a penalty fare line". Common sense perhaps but it totally ignores promise to pay and buy before you board...

At Leeds excess fares you often see many Northern revenue staff loitering and interviewing passengers now too!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Still the scheme means totally different things depending on the staff member! This morning on board "I'll be coming down the train to sell tickets you need to buy one if you don't have one as this is a penalty fare line". Common sense perhaps but it totally ignores promise to pay and buy before you board...

This is rather like the sham PF scheme found on the south WCML, where you would really have to be very unlucky to actually be issued with one (and if you were to get written up for a prosecution, unlike on Northern, you should probably buy a lottery ticket too as that is VERY unlikely). More likely soon now there is a plan to staff all stations for the full period of service, though.

Established Member
I agree in theory, however that doesn't cover someone who arrives whilst the ticket office staff are changing shifts. Anyone aged 16-18 travelling to Liverpool off peak will be overcharged by the TVM as it does not sell 16-18 Saveaways.

I was told that the TVMs that advertise the Penalty Fares scheme with the 'No Card, No Problem' screens will issue a P2P. The TVMs at Broad Green and Chassen Road I've noticed with the yellow screens from passing trains, and you can certainly pay cash at Broad Green's ticket office which should be staffed full time (minus shift changeovers).

I disagree in the case of Virgin Trains Macclesfield where the ticket office closes at 1915 Monday - Saturday and 2000 on Sunday thus meaning that Duo's cannot be purchased for travel on Penalty Fare Northern services and no promise to pay facility is provided.

Established Member
I disagree in the case of Virgin Trains Macclesfield where the ticket office closes at 1915 Monday - Saturday and 2000 on Sunday thus meaning that Duo's cannot be purchased for travel on Penalty Fare Northern services and no promise to pay facility is provided.
You can buy Duo's from the Virgin TVM's at Piccadilly-I'd assume this to be the case at Macclesfield too? Apologies if you have superior knowledge of course:D

Clip

Established Member
Large yellow screens now on some tvms informing of the scheme and the promise to pay20181026_073632.jpg

pemma

Veteran Member

1915 is early. Lesser used stations with a double shift ticket office in the area are open from around 06:30 to 20:30.

pemma

Veteran Member
More routes coming from next Monday, 29 October...

Sadly I must be going a bit colour blind as other than the dark blue lines in the map the others look more green than light blue!

At Leeds excess fares you often see many Northern revenue staff loitering and interviewing passengers now too!

Interesting the routes include Stalybridge-Huddersfield given Northern operate no off-peak services between those two stations.

pemma

Veteran Member
Large yellow screens now on some tvms informing of the scheme and the promise to payView attachment 54358

Yet in putting that message there, the instruction of 'Touch screen to start' isn't very visible! Also I notice no instruction about what to do if the machine doesn't sell the ticket you want and you want to pay by card.

Clip

Established Member
Do people really need to be told to touch screen to start nowadays? How about we hold their hand throughout their journey too?

Bloody hell you really will clutch at the shortest of straws every time wont you

sarniasiren

Northern have recently installed a TVM at Euxton. At present it does not show railcard fares or show P2P. I have sent them an email querying this.
Is it usual practice for a TVM not to be fully programmed initially? Penalty fare notices are up.

bearhugger

According to a Facebook post by an Esk Valley Community Rail Officer, Scarborough to Hull and Middlesbrough to Whitby are to have penalty fares soon. I don't know a lot about the Scarborough to Hull line at all, but on the Esk Valley line not every station has a TVM and only Whitby and Middlesbrough (the station at each end of the line) have a ticket office.

BurtonM

A PF poster appeared at Stalybridge recently.

The guards still sell tickets on the Stalybridge-Victoria/Wigan services...

pemma

Veteran Member
A PF poster appeared at Stalybridge recently.

The guards still sell tickets on the Stalybridge-Victoria/Wigan services...

If a guard is not authorised to issue penalty fares then they should still sell tickets as strange as that sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.