• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Penalty Fare Scheme (as of 14 May 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes it's worth remembering @Bantamzen knows the subsequent permission slip only states an origin station, not a destination station. Someone who has never acquired one wouldn't know that and might think they will be given a slip stating they have agreed to buy a ticket from x to y using cash even if they want to buy a different ticket using a card. Consequently, why would average Joe think it's better to have a slip with a false claim on it than no slip at all, especially when Northern have been known to try and prosecute passengers for not getting a zero fare excess?

Most people would simply ask the guard if they could pay using a card, rather than stressing themselves about the wording on the P2P. And I'd hazard a guess most guards would sell the required ticket without fuss. But of course I am naive enough not to believe this TOC isn't the Devil Incarnate...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Most people would simply ask the guard if they could pay using a card, rather than stressing themselves about the wording on the P2P. And I'd hazard a guess most guards would sell the required ticket without fuss. But of course I am naive enough not to believe this TOC isn't the Devil Incarnate...
I don't think you could say Northern is the Devil Incarnate. After all, there are plenty of passenger friendly staff members about. But there are unfortunately plenty of other less friendly staff members, and in particular contractors. Defending oneself against potential problems is always a wise attitude, and waving away a potential problem because it doesn't always or regularly occur is not really a solution to the problem!

Bantamzen

Established Member
I don't think you could say Northern is the Devil Incarnate. After all, there are plenty of passenger friendly staff members about. But there are unfortunately plenty of other less friendly staff members, and in particular contractors. Defending oneself against potential problems is always a wise attitude, and waving away a potential problem because it doesn't always or regularly occur is not really a solution to the problem!

Using initiative is key out there in the world. Problems arise all the time, some people expect others to mitigate for them, some people seek resolution proactively. In the case of a TVM failing to complete a card transaction, or indeed a TVM not offering a desired product some people would use initiative and and use the power of human interaction, that is to say ask a member of crew at their earliest opportunity.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
At the end of the day, if a ToC want to threaten people who don't buy before they board with a PF or prosecution, then they need to make it easy as pie to buy the right ticket.
That includes putting TVM's on every platform (not just every station), putting every ticket on the TVMs (or at least the common ones which still aren't there), allowing people to pay by cash without jumping through hoops (if that means just trusting people when they say they want to pay by cash rather than needing a P2P, or offering the P2P's as an option directly on the TVM with obvious wording and singable to say people should select that option if they are paying in cash, so be it) etc etc. That is currently not the case.

The problem is you assume human beings are logical straightforward creatures. We are not.
Being threatened with a PF or prosecution (either directly by staff, or indirectly by all the "marketing" about having to buy before you board and then not being able to) will likely fluster many people, and cause some others more extreme stress and discomfort.

Using initiative is key out there in the world. Problems arise all the time, some people expect others to mitigate for them, some people seek resolution proactively. In the case of a TVM failing to complete a card transaction, or indeed a TVM not offering a desired product some people would use initiative and and use the power of human interaction, that is to say ask a member of crew at their earliest opportunity.

And when some people have done that they have either been given a PF, threatened with prosecution or given a "This is against the rules, I shouldn't be doing this but I will this once" lecture.
Granted most people don't get that, and most staff are not like that, but to deny it happens is just silly.

Clip

Established Member
In the case of a TVM failing to complete a card transaction, or indeed a TVM not offering a desired product some people would use initiative and and use the power of human interaction, that is to say ask a member of crew at their earliest opportunity.

They could even,shock horror!, press the seek assistance button on the TVM to get assistance that they need. It may be a struggle for people to even accept that on here too but hey at least Northern thought of incorporating such a device linked to control when they bought the things. But thats simply not good enough either for many on here it appears

Bantamzen

Established Member
At the end of the day, if a ToC want to threaten people who don't buy before they board with a PF or prosecution, then they need to make it easy as pie to buy the right ticket.
That includes putting TVM's on every platform (not just every station), putting every ticket on the TVMs (or at least the common ones which still aren't there), allowing people to pay by cash without jumping through hoops (if that means just trusting people when they say they want to pay by cash rather than needing a P2P, or offering the P2P's as an option directly on the TVM with obvious wording and singable to say people should select that option if they are paying in cash, so be it) etc etc. That is currently not the case.

Just on the points you've made, as far as cash payments go Northern have made this an option where card only TVMs are installed at unstaffed stations. OK, the process may not be as intuitive as people would like, but that is in part as a result of some people misusing the TVMs for their own entertainment. And the existence of card only machines is in part probably because leaving large amounts of cash lying around unattended for any length of time might be considered undesirable. That is a problem that increasingly faces companies dealing with cash transactions, and is even a driver in the reduction of ATMs around the place as criminals employ more & more drastic measures to steal from them. It is also worth noting that card-only payment is increasingly becoming a norm, if I were to nip down to the canteen in my building for a cappuccino I'll need to use my card. Cash is still popular, but card is rapidly becoming the norm.

But I have previously conceded that Northern do need to improve signage, number of TVMs etc, although this can be enabled more where people actually engage with them rather than just generically slag them off. There are plenty of user groups that do engage with, and get results from this. It annoys me when people moan, but then don't at least offer constructive criticism and/or feedback.

The problem is you assume human beings are logical straightforward creatures. We are not.
Being threatened with a PF or prosecution (either directly by staff, or indirectly by all the "marketing" about having to buy before you board and then not being able to) will likely fluster many people, and cause some others more extreme stress and discomfort.

Trust me I don't! I do however expect people to take a certain level of responsibility for themselves, instead of expecting everything and every action be mapped out to the nth degree. For example I was on the Costa del Sol this weekend, and knowing that I planned to travel from Fuengirola to Malaga by train I took the time in advance to find out how to go about buying tickets using the machines. Admittedly there appeared to be ticket machines at all platforms, although some were more obvious than others.

However where people may struggle to understand what they need to do, there does need to be some flexibility from TOC staff when dealing with ticketless passengers. But over time more people will become aware, and most should know that they must try to get a valid ticket or P2P before boarding a train.

And when some people have done that they have either been given a PF, threatened with prosecution or given a "This is against the rules, I shouldn't be doing this but I will this once" lecture.
Granted most people don't get that, and most staff are not like that, but to deny it happens is just silly.

This is an operational matter, and would always encourage passengers incorrectly presented with PFs to appeal and complain, so that an audit trail is built up. In time, if certain areas are having more problems than others it is in the interest of Northern (or any other TOC) to deal with it.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In time, if certain areas are having more problems than others it is in the interest of Northern (or any other TOC) to deal with it.

Is it, though? If increased income from PFs outweighs any hassle the TOC gets from complaints (and in the absence of an effective regulator) they might not find it in their interests to deal with it.

Established Member
There are also a higher proportion of people in the north that have the modern equivalent to a Visa Electron as their main card, due to poor credit ratings, unemployment or a low income. Those cards aren't accepted everywhere (and that's also not what I was alluding to in Northern TVMs rejecting certain cards, I was meaning ones which would probably work on a conductor's portable machine but for some reason the TVMs don't like them.)

My Samsung phone used to work on Northern equipment and onboard trains until I started getting a "Not Supported" message which also caused a spate of declined transactions elsewhere with a credit card that had about £3500.00 of £4000.00 limit remaining. I contacted Northern about it but I've never been able to use it since.

I've done everything to try and get it to work. Works everywhere else fine.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Is it, though? If increased income from PFs outweighs any hassle the TOC gets from complaints (and in the absence of an effective regulator) they might not find it in their interests to deal with it.

To be honest I'm sure if that's really true. Incorrectly applied PFs that make the press, or even just into the social media scope can quickly start to use resources and wouldn't need a lot of attention to wipe out the value of the PF. And the majority of people that have a correctly applied PF aren't likely to be caught out again in future, so any financial modelling or dependence on them would fundamentally flawed.

I really don't buy into this whole notion that TOCs are deliberately trying to make passenger's lives a misery, or cause them more cost and hassle through things like PFs. Its glaringly obvious to even the most casual of observers that increasing income streams come from the main fare structural increases, which whilst I don't agree with as I see the railway network as an essential part of the public infrastructure, from a basis that is privately operated I do understand why TOCs continue with large scale increases.

Clip

Established Member
I really don't buy into this whole notion that TOCs are deliberately trying to make passenger's lives a misery, or cause them more cost and hassle through things like PFs. Its glaringly obvious to even the most casual of observers that increasing income streams come from the main fare structural increases, which whilst I don't agree with as I see the railway network as an essential part of the public infrastructure, from a basis that is privately operated I do understand why TOCs continue with large scale increases.
Neither do i its more than likely by things just being overlooked but does it strike you as strange that those who are so vehemently against the introduction of the PF scheme by Northern are those who live in areas who have to use their trains?

Ive seen very few posts if any at all from others around the country who object with ever decreasing reasons, at the introduction of this scheme - seems odd. Or maybe im just being my rather cynical self again

pemma

Veteran Member
Neither do i its more than likely by things just being overlooked but does it strike you as strange that those who are so vehemently against the introduction of the PF scheme by Northern are those who live in areas who have to use their trains?

Ive seen very few posts if any at all from others around the country who object with ever decreasing reasons, at the introduction of this scheme - seems odd. Or maybe im just being my rather cynical self again

I don't like how Northern's particular scheme is being implemented and I can tell you the number of times I've boarded a Northern service without a ticket in the last 10 years is 3 - one being when told to by ticket office staff, one being when the ticket office was closed but should have been open and the third when the ticket office wasn't supposed to be open and in all 3 cases when there was no TVM. As I've used Northern TVMs I know the problems they can have and many of them don't result in the red out-of-work light coming on. The same issues never seem to happen with Virgin or TPE TVMs, just Northern ones.

So instead of your cynical questioning about passengers maybe you should be asking why people who always buy tickets before boarding where possible and think Northern should be addressing fare evasion, think the PF scheme isn't a good one.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

When they start operating punctually, get their sh*t together on weekends, fix the TVMs so they aren’t out of service half the time, staff their ticket offices at the hours they’re supposed to be staffed and train their revenue protection squad adequately so they’re not harassing innocent passengers then yeah I’ll support their Penalty Fare scheme.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

I do not live in the areas Northern serve and do not use their trains.
Why do I bother posting then?
Because I do live and travel in areas that, similar to Northern, have quite a number of stations with either no or poor ticketing facilities, and so the idea that ToC's could get away with such poor facilities and be so strict when it comes to penalty fares etc is insane to me.
I have no problems with ToC's trying to protect their revenue, but they have to make sure they get the other bits right first.

Just on the points you've made, as far as cash payments go Northern have made this an option where card only TVMs are installed at unstaffed stations. OK, the process may not be as intuitive as people would like, but that is in part as a result of some people misusing the TVMs for their own entertainment. And the existence of card only machines is in part probably because leaving large amounts of cash lying around unattended for any length of time might be considered undesirable. That is a problem that increasingly faces companies dealing with cash transactions, and is even a driver in the reduction of ATMs around the place as criminals employ more & more drastic measures to steal from them. It is also worth noting that card-only payment is increasingly becoming a norm, if I were to nip down to the canteen in my building for a cappuccino I'll need to use my card. Cash is still popular, but card is rapidly becoming the norm.

Oh I fully understand the reasons, you don't have to explain that.
But at the end of the day, the railway still accepts cash. That means if someone wants to pay cash (not needs to, wants to) then they should be able to.
It is the railway industry who is going down this automated TvM route for unstaffed stations, so it should be the industry who provides a solution to those who want to pay cash.
Simple signage and easy to use machines are the answer really. It isn't difficult. The idea that someone has to dig through menus on a difficult to use machine without any signage to say what they have to do is just nuts. We have talked about this before, and assuming the flow is as it was back then (where you have to select the ticket, select pay, and then select to get a P2P) then that is just not customer friendly at all.

But I have previously conceded that Northern do need to improve signage, number of TVMs etc, although this can be enabled more where people actually engage with them rather than just generically slag them off. There are plenty of user groups that do engage with, and get results from this. It annoys me when people moan, but then don't at least offer constructive criticism and/or feedback.

I believe that most of the posts I have made I have mentioned specific things I have an issue with. The lack of signage, the lack of TVM's, the positioning of some of the TVM's that do exist, the fact that the only real way to protect yourself if the TVM is not working is to take a photo or video of it, the fact that getting a P2P is not obvious etc. As I said above, I do not use Northern rail to travel. So my issues with them are specific about this subject, rather than general complaints about them.

As for constructive feedback, surely that feedback should have been sort first? Certainly before threatening people with fines (to most people a PF is a fine, regardless of what you want to actually call it) or prosecution etc. The idea that a TOC can roll out a project to punish people without sufficiently doing the upfront work to make sure facilities are good enough is bonkers.

Trust me I don't! I do however expect people to take a certain level of responsibility for themselves, instead of expecting everything and every action be mapped out to the nth degree. For example I was on the Costa del Sol this weekend, and knowing that I planned to travel from Fuengirola to Malaga by train I took the time in advance to find out how to go about buying tickets using the machines. Admittedly there appeared to be ticket machines at all platforms, although some were more obvious than others.

Ok let us use that logic and approach here. Prior to a journey you do some research. You look on the official website of the railways in the country (NRE) and that says there is not a ticket machine at the station in question. You look a bit more and see that the train operators website (Northern) say there is not a ticket machine at the station either. So a solid assumption would be that there is not a ticket machine at the station. But in reality, we know that those sites are very misleading and out of date. So research doesn't always help! You say about offering specific feedback - how about updating the damn websites so they are actually correct?

However where people may struggle to understand what they need to do, there does need to be some flexibility from TOC staff when dealing with ticketless passengers. But over time more people will become aware, and most should know that they must try to get a valid ticket or P2P before boarding a train.

This is an operational matter, and would always encourage passengers incorrectly presented with PFs to appeal and complain, so that an audit trail is built up. In time, if certain areas are having more problems than others it is in the interest of Northern (or any other TOC) to deal with it.

I guess the point of my posts apart from the specific issues I have mentioned is that the attitude that I seem to get from your posts and Northern's actions (PF people and wait for them to appeal) is the wrong way around. The systems, methods and attitudes to correctly deal with these issues should be in place first before any actual PF's are allowed to be issued. There shouldn't be "an audit train of certain areas having more problems than others" because all of that should be thought about and resolved beforehand. It doesn't take much to think that actually having one TVM hidden away in the corner of one platform on a two platform station, where you can't see it from the other platform, will give some issues. It also doesn't take much to realise that not having obvious signage can cause problems. Why are these things not thought about before the PF scheme is in place? Again, why are the travelling public essentially treated as beta testers here?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Oh I fully understand the reasons, you don't have to explain that.
But at the end of the day, the railway still accepts cash. That means if someone wants to pay cash (not needs to, wants to) then they should be able to.
It is the railway industry who is going down this automated TvM route for unstaffed stations, so it should be the industry who provides a solution to those who want to pay cash.
Simple signage and easy to use machines are the answer really. It isn't difficult. The idea that someone has to dig through menus on a difficult to use machine without any signage to say what they have to do is just nuts. We have talked about this before, and assuming the flow is as it was back then (where you have to select the ticket, select pay, and then select to get a P2P) then that is just not customer friendly at all.

We are going around in circles here, the reasons for not having these options are the reasons why most TVMs do not offer one-touch P2Ps, or cash facilities. The former would risk the TVMs being out of order for even longer at many stations if certain individuals continued to empty the ticket stocks. As for the latter, cash payment via P2P is available, but frankly consumer choice as well as security is leading not only TVMs, but many other companies to opt for card-only transactions (including as previously stated my work's canteen).

I believe that most of the posts I have made I have mentioned specific things I have an issue with. The lack of signage, the lack of TVM's, the positioning of some of the TVM's that do exist, the fact that the only real way to protect yourself if the TVM is not working is to take a photo or video of it, the fact that getting a P2P is not obvious etc. As I said above, I do not use Northern rail to travel. So my issues with them are specific about this subject, rather than general complaints about them.

And I've already stated that I concede some of these points, as it appears do Northern as they slowly seem to be addressing these with more TVMs, signage etc.

As for constructive feedback, surely that feedback should have been sort first? Certainly before threatening people with fines (to most people a PF is a fine, regardless of what you want to actually call it) or prosecution etc. The idea that a TOC can roll out a project to punish people without sufficiently doing the upfront work to make sure facilities are good enough is bonkers.

Getting feedback before actually trialling a system is going to be very hard, this is why it was trialled on just two lines. However Northern do respond to feedback, I know the RUG in my area have been very proactive and got results, and individual issues I had early on were addressed. Of course some people have fallen foul, but they might have been just as likely to fall foul after a long period of consultation. But Northern do have an appeals process, and those that have can use this if they feel they are justified.

Ok let us use that logic and approach here. Prior to a journey you do some research. You look on the official website of the railways in the country (NRE) and that says there is not a ticket machine at the station in question. You look a bit more and see that the train operators website (Northern) say there is not a ticket machine at the station either. So a solid assumption would be that there is not a ticket machine at the station. But in reality, we know that those sites are very misleading and out of date. So research doesn't always help! You say about offering specific feedback - how about updating the damn websites so they are actually correct?

Its a good and valid point and National Rail do need to update their website, and this is a much wider problem than Northern's PF scheme sadly. However in relation to my recent journeys on Spain's Renfe services, the information was not gleamed from their website. Indeed their website is almost totally free of details on buying at stations. No my research came from various traveller sites and even YouTube videos, which were very useful as my Spanish isn't great and the language change option on their ticket machines is a small icon on the bottom left of the display and not instantly obvious.

I guess the point of my posts apart from the specific issues I have mentioned is that the attitude that I seem to get from your posts and Northern's actions (PF people and wait for them to appeal) is the wrong way around. The systems, methods and attitudes to correctly deal with these issues should be in place first before any actual PF's are allowed to be issued. There shouldn't be "an audit train of certain areas having more problems than others" because all of that should be thought about and resolved beforehand. It doesn't take much to think that actually having one TVM hidden away in the corner of one platform on a two platform station, where you can't see it from the other platform, will give some issues. It also doesn't take much to realise that not having obvious signage can cause problems. Why are these things not thought about before the PF scheme is in place? Again, why are the travelling public essentially treated as beta testers here?

I get your point, but you are creating a paradox. You want the systems designed with extensive public consultation, but tested without public exposure to ensure that 100% of the public can use it first time without issue? Would that be a fair assumption? If so, I can only say this isn't how things work. It wish it was, but it simply isn't.

To clarify my position on this, I am a daily user of the lines that were first used as the beta test. And there were some issues, but by and large most passengers quickly got used to the new TVMs, knew to ask the guard to sell them a ticket when they were not working, and have from casual observation adapted to the simple requirement of buying before boarding. I remember well the initial discussions on here about the proposed scheme as it was then, and that some members gleefully predicted chaos & mass malcontent from passengers on these lines. But none of this has come to pass 11 months later, without any attempt from those initial dissenters to offer an explanation why. Instead the same issues are raised each time a new set of lines go-live on the scheme, with the usual bluster about how its disgusting, typical of evil TOCs etc etc.

**Warning - Controversial Opinion Alert**
In short, I see it as no more than moaning for the sake of moaning, with seemingly little or no desire to engage with the TOC to resolve any of the issues they raise. I don't think the system is perfect, there are issues and I have conceded these. But this subject has been going around in a perfect echo-chamber circle for a year now, yet out there in commuter land the vast majority of people have just got on with it. I'm sorry if this irks any member of these forums, but it is how it is. Northern, and other TOCs have been required to introduce these schemes under the terms of the franchises. Northern opted to roll-out in small areas to test the systems, and make adjustments where needed, and as s it rolls out further they appear to be do the same, albeit with various amounts of success. And I do agree with this approach, they could have waited a couple of years and just gone "Big Bang" style and really upset the apple cart. I'm sure that would have attracted even more criticism and complaint from members here. Quite honestly I don't think any method would have appeases all, remember a while back when some members lamented the introduction of TVMs at low usage stations? Because I do!

Further upthread @Clip wondered about why members were so opposed to the scheme. Being blunt I think it's biggest problem here is change, which is often badly received by those interested and enthusiastic about our railways.

pemma

Veteran Member
We are going around in circles here, the reasons for not having these options are the reasons why most TVMs do not offer one-touch P2Ps, or cash facilities. The former would risk the TVMs being out of order for even longer at many stations if certain individuals continued to empty the ticket stocks. As for the latter, cash payment via P2P is available, but frankly consumer choice as well as security is leading not only TVMs, but many other companies to opt for card-only transactions (including as previously stated my work's canteen).

The issuing of P2P can be made more user friendly though - you don't solve one problem by creating another. I've worked in Human Computer Interaction and then tell you that's it questionable whether the process Northern have created makes adequate provisions for those with learning disabilities (who may have difficulty following an illogical lengthy process), never mind whether it's easy to use for someone without any disability who might not be a regular train traveller.

The home screen needs 3 main options:
1. Buy tickets by card
2. Buy tickets by cash
3. Collect pre-purchased tickets

If you select the first option there needs to be an option alongside the destinations saying "I cannot find the ticket I require" which then allows you to collect a P2P.
If you select the second option you get a message saying cash purchases are not available from this TVM. It may also say tickets can be purchased using cash at the ticket office (if there is one and it's during it's scheduled opening hours) and then give a message saying about the P2P.

Then to get the P2P (and to prevent people just pressing a button to empty out the ticket stock) ask users to key in either their intended destination or ticket they wish to purchase and allow users to type in options which the TVM doesn't recognise as destinations e.g. Old Trafford Metrolink or Wayfarer. The P2P could also print why they finished up collecting one i.e. was it because they selected the cash option or they couldn't find a ticket.

Wolfie

Established Member
Bantamzen re your last para l disagree. I think that it is a matter of trust. Northern (admittedly in its previous incarnation) was the home of the £80 penalty fake. Northern, in several incarnations, has employed ill/untrained contractors to in many cases harrass passengers over ticketing issues. Northern, also in several incarnations, has failed to deliver on multiple commitments. Against that backdrop why should any passenger trust Northern in the slightest. I thankfully don't use them too often but have zero trust in their honesty and goodwill.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The issuing of P2P can be made more user friendly though - you don't solve one problem by creating another. I've worked in Human Computer Interaction and then tell you that's it questionable whether the process Northern have created makes adequate provisions for those with learning disabilities (who may have difficulty following an illogical lengthy process), never mind whether it's easy to use for someone without any disability who might not be a regular train traveller.

1. Buy tickets by card
2. Buy tickets by cash

If you select the first option there needs to be an option alongside the destinations saying "I cannot find the ticket I require" which then allows you to collect a P2P.
If you select the second option you get a message saying cash purchases are not available from this TVM. It may also say tickets can be purchased using cash at the ticket office (if there is one and it's during it's scheduled opening hours) and then give a message saying about the P2P.

Then to get the P2P (and to prevent people just pressing a button to empty out the ticket stock) ask users to key in either their intended destination or ticket they wish to purchase and allow users to type in options which the TVM doesn't recognise as destinations e.g. Old Trafford Metrolink or Wayfarer. The P2P could also print why they finished up collecting one i.e. was it because they selected the cash option or they couldn't find a ticket.
To be fair, I can see how issuing the P2P could be a problem if it is made "too easy". But ultimately with Northern having recently installed so many new machines without the hardware necessary to make P2P machine-emptying difficult (e.g. requiring cash), it is going to be down to changing the software. At least that can be done remotely.

And also "buy tickets by cash" needs to be changed to "buy tickets by cash or another payment method*" with the asterisk giving details of all acceptable payment methods (e.g. card, cash, RTVs).

Bantamzen

Established Member

1. Buy tickets by card
2. Buy tickets by cash

They sound like sensible options, have you suggested these directly or through a RUG?

Bantamzen re your last para l disagree. I think that it is a matter of trust. Northern (admittedly in its previous incarnation) was the home of the £80 penalty fake. Northern, in several incarnations, has employed ill/untrained contractors to in many cases harrass passengers over ticketing issues. Northern, also in several incarnations, has failed to deliver on multiple commitments. Against that backdrop why should any passenger trust Northern in the slightest. I thankfully don't use them too often but have zero trust in their honesty and goodwill.

Until joining this forum, I wasn't even aware of this £80 PF. As for contracted-in staff under the previous franchise, I had seen some poor RPOs (or whatever they called them) but more recently the limited interactions I have seen seem to point to an improvement. A couple of weeks ago RPOs at Shipley were directing ticketless passengers to the ticket office instead of frog-marching them into a PF. I guess time will tell, but the horror predictions made a year ago don't seem to be happening.

To be fair, I can see how issuing the P2P could be a problem if it is made "too easy". But ultimately with Northern having recently installed so many new machines without the hardware necessary to make P2P machine-emptying difficult (e.g. requiring cash), it is going to be down to changing the software. At least that can be done remotely.

And also "buy tickets by cash" needs to be changed to "buy tickets by cash or another payment method*" with the asterisk giving details of all acceptable payment methods (e.g. card, cash, RTVs).

Again sensible ideas, and ones that need communicating to them through official channels. I wonder, does the forum have some official RUG channel with Northern, and if not would it not be a good idea? I realise some people don't trust them, but at least having some form of official channel might enable some of these types of suggestions. Its certainly worked in my little corner of the world, the RUG have engaged with them to improve the shelter, CCTV facilities as well as the general upkeep of the station. If a group representing a wider passenger base were to suggest a UI change to the TVMs, maybe, just maybe this might also happen?

pemma

Veteran Member

The TVMs do have ITSO hardware but I'm not aware of it being in use anywhere, the same is true of the 'virtual ticket office' facility.

pemma

Veteran Member
They sound like sensible options, have you suggested these directly or through a RUG?
If a group representing a wider passenger base were to suggest a UI change to the TVMs, maybe, just maybe this might also happen?

The RUG representing my line isn't representing a PF line*. If I contact Northern (as an individual) I just usually get a generic response back which doesn't answer anything.

(* Well technically a subgroup of the RUG represents the Crewe-Liverpool line where LNR have penalty fares but that doesn't have the P2P issue.)

pemma

Veteran Member
Yet. It will be soon enough, if the likes of Ormskirk-Preston (which has been a "Paytrain" route since forever pretty much) is!

Well they've installed a TVM at Plumley (which isn't yet live) but as far as I'm aware Ashley, the lowest usage station on the route by a long way, hasn't got one and Lostock Gralam, the station where a TVM is most likely to be vandalised, doesn't have one either.

_toommm_

Established Member
They could even,shock horror!, press the seek assistance button on the TVM to get assistance that they need. It may be a struggle for people to even accept that on here too but hey at least Northern thought of incorporating such a device linked to control when they bought the things. But thats simply not good enough either for many on here it appears

Seen as the button doesn't currently do anything, it's a bit of a damp squib

Bantamzen

Established Member
The RUG representing my line isn't representing a PF line*. If I contact Northern (as an individual) I just usually get a generic response back which doesn't answer anything.

(* Well technically a subgroup of the RUG represents the Crewe-Liverpool line where LNR have penalty fares but that doesn't have the P2P issue.)

I'm not entirely surprised at a generic response to individual comments, most large companies will receive way more than they can afford to apply resources to. This is why RUGs are a good avenue for constructive feedback. They will send managers to meetings who can actually take ideas forward.

I have to say though, the deafening silence on the idea of a forum RUG is disappointing, if not entirely unsuprising.

_toommm_

Established Member
You'll see ITSO at a shed load more locations in a couple of weeks.

Whether it works is another question. My friend always has an issue where she tops up her M Card, it takes the money but it doesn't top up, meaning if charges her 2x as much until the money comes back in

Bantamzen

Established Member
Whether it works is another question. My friend always has an issue where she tops up her M Card, it takes the money but it doesn't top up, meaning if charges her 2x as much until the money comes back in

I have once had a similar issue but although it had taken the card details it processed it as a zero transaction because the MCard wasn't updated. But generally I've found them to work reasonably well, and pretty fast too although it works a lot faster if you put the MCard in the reader first, as this triggers the process.

Clip

Established Member
Now announcements being aired over the tannoy on what to do if you only have cash and need a ticket.

Clip

Established Member
I don’t remember a p2p ticket being shown so here’s one and it’s pretty explanatory

Attachments

• DA55CBB4-4D17-4DF9-BDE1-87F48D1FF05C.jpeg
    DA55CBB4-4D17-4DF9-BDE1-87F48D1FF05C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.