• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Ponte+Cas Newspaper coupon promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I'm looking to do the travel for a tenner Ponte And Cas newspaper promotion tomorrow but I start my journey at an unstaffed station.

Presumably the conductor on board can't do the relevant ticket so is it a case of telling them you'll buy the ticket at the first opportunity (first staffed station)?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class17

I'm looking to do the travel for a tenner Ponte And Cas newspaper promotion tomorrow but I start my journey at an unstaffed station.

Presumably the conductor on board can't do the relevant ticket so is it a case of telling them you'll buy the ticket at the first opportunity (first staffed station)?

Have you done any research and checked out the information available on the website?

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpress

If you look at the Johnston Press voucher offer page of the Northern web site, you see a list of Frequently Asked Questions. One of which is "I don't live near to a staffed railway station so I can't buy a ticket". The answer is "Please contact our Customer Experience Centre.". That may not be an option available to you at this late stage.

I do not know the answer to your question, you may be OK, but you may be asked to buy a single ticket to the next staffed railway station, which you may or may not be able to off-set against the promotion ticket

I always make sure I purchase mine the day prior to travel. You may be advised to do this in future.

Have a good trip and enjoy the day.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
D'oh my eyes are going I was trying northernrail.org/press which obviously came up with a 404! :lol:

crehld

Established Member

Officially you have to get the ticket from a staffed station on the Northern Rail network, or discuss your options with the customer service team, before you travel.

Unofficially, if you ask very nicely and make it clear what you intend to do, some guards may simply let you travel so you can buy your ticket at the first staffed station you change trains at. I am also led to believe that the Avantix (portable ticket machines guards carry) have now been programmed to sell the £10 day rangers, so again if you ask very nicely you may be able to purchase one on board (again albeit unofficially).

Here is another forum member's experience:

I was surprised to find that onboard conductors are now able to issue these Day Ranger tickets from their machines.

I travel from Bamber Bridge to Preston where I normally purchase my ticket by handing in the form and tokens. Each time previously I have asked the guard before boarding at BMB if I'm okay to travel free to Preston where I purchase my ticket. Luckily I've always been allowed to do this and save the £3.20 that I would normally have to spend.

This time I showed the guard my form and he was unsure what my form was but agreed to allow me to travel. Before arriving at Preston he kindly returned to me and said I've found your ticket, you don't need to queue at the ticket office now. I was impressed and thanked him for the effort. It also made it easier in passing the Northern RPIs on the overbridge at Preston. I also got to keep the form as he said he didn't need it. I was told I could reuse the tokens! Bonus.

Of course just because some others have had success with these unofficial options does not guarantee that you will be equally successful, but is worth a try.

If all else fails then just buy a separate ticket to your nearest staffed station.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Unofficially, if you ask very nicely and make it clear what you intend to do, some guards may simply let you travel so you can buy your ticket at the first staffed station you change trains at....

Northern staff might show discretion, STM won't.

johntea

Established Member
I never got chance to use it yesterday but might ask Northern if they could make it an official option on board in future promotions

After all these coupons came from a newspaper mainly covering Castleford, Pontefract and Knottingley all of which have unstaffed rail stations :D

LuSiVe

I want to use mine from Dronfield but I think I'll just get the bus to Sheffield or Chesterfield depending on which direction I'm heading in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.