• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail 142 & 150s North West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ojo

Reason I was asking I was travelling back from Liverpool to Wigan and it was a 142+150 and thought how difficult it is when you have a non-corridor unit paired with a corridor connected unit.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hgfkqm

Maybe it was an experiment: see how crowded the 150 gets before the 142 starts getting used. :D

Yea, they do have 2x142s. They sometimes partner 156 with 142 as well.

driver9000

Established Member
Reason I was asking I was travelling back from Liverpool to Wigan and it was a 142+150 and thought how difficult it is when you have a non-corridor unit paired with a corridor connected unit.

Northern do run units of the same type together regularly although combinations of different classes also occur for various reasons, such as standing in for the booked traction. In the case of the 142+150 on the Liverpool-Wigan service this would have been due to platform lengths at Bryn,Garswood and Thatto Heath. A 4 car 15x didn't fit on these platforms until recently but a 142+15x would fit. There is booked 4 car 15x on that line and when these called the rear door was off the platform. The platforms have now been lengthened but as yet the stock diagrams haven't been recast.

pemma

Veteran Member
Capacity reasons.

Northern ignore different seating patterns within the same type of unit for diagramming purposes, therefore in order of capacity for west side DMUs they have the following options:

142+142
142+150
150+150
142+156
150+156
156+156

Geeves

Established Member
You missed 158 and 142 combos on the 22:22 Victoria - Blackpools and occasional Leeds turns. Always a good sight!

Crimson_Quiff

Only problem with 142s is that until they really get some speed up they are rather bouncy, giving such a rough ride, feeling like they've got square wheels!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?apomoq

That's why I like them! I know it sounds daft, but I like them for they're faults! If they sent them on a refurbishment programme to get rid of the rough ride and whatever else people hate about them then to me they would be just another Multiple Unit to get your from A to B.

The best bit of the ride is when they are at full bore and bouncing around all over the show! Get in! :lol: Not to mention the music they make!

Looking at it from the transport side of it, it's not good. They are devices to ferry the public at the end of the day. If you want all that I like about them thhen you can go to a theme park and ride a roller coaster or something!

I'll stick with me 142s, thanks! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You missed 158 and 142 combos on the 22:22 Victoria - Blackpools and occasional Leeds turns. Always a good sight!

That would be alright just for the novelty value!

sprinterguy

Established Member
With all the lines in the North West being electrified, I can't see 142s getting any sort of refurb, bar seating.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?r0yjbn
What I've just posted in the "Pacer Virginity" thread is just as applicable here:
It beats me as to why, with all the "east side", "west side" and formerly Merseytravel Pacers under their belt for the first time in the Pacers' lives (The regions were pretty thoroughly divided in Regional Railways NW and NE days) that Northern weren't contracted to do a refurbishment to the same level as ATW have, on all their 142s early on in the franchise. We would then have one standard and decent quality interior across all their fleet. It seems a tad ridiculous that there are still a sizeable number of 142s in service with their original bus bench seating, when you would rarely expect to find such seating on an actual bus these days!

The problem is, the longer that Northern put off a refurbishment the closer we are getting to the theoretical 2020 withdrawal date for these units and the bigger the excuse for Northern to simply not bother as it's not worth forking out for a refurb on units with no more than 5-10 years of life in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.