• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - A Suburban Service for Cities ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efini92

Established Member
I would say "strangely" with regard to Northern, but sadly not untypical, particularly west of Skipton which they clearly can't be bothered with. It's almost as though Northern would rather not have the hassle of running trains.

The issue is that you could well have someone living in Appleby who wants to go for a ramble with their friend in Kirkby Stephen, which anyone reasonable would count as staying local. Or someone in Horton visiting their aunt in Settle etc, so there's absolutely no justification for not running a day long service on the basis of non-local travel not being allowed.

They come up with this excuse every time.

They were running an almost full day service prior to January (albeit with some trains missing since last March).

I just don't believe that there has been such a precipitous reduction in headcount since then to make them have to cut the service half way through the day. And if there has been such a loss of staff, how come all the other lines seem to have not suffered such a loss in staff.

This is all about convenience to Northern Rail.
They definitely have a shortage of trained drivers. The reason why they can scrape together a service is because they are reliant on rest day working.
Northern has poor management at most levels now, it’s unlikely they will ever get rid of the backlog of training in the next decade.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
The S&C and Bentham lines are probably the biggest basket cases under Northern's remit. That's a pretty solid reason why they shouldn't get as good a service as, say, local services around Manchester. It's also worth noting that neither route really links any cities together in a meaningful manner (what little traffic there is Leeds-Carlisle is adequately dealt with the WCML. And Appleby isn't exactly a city!), so I think your premise is a bit off anyway.
While I generally agree, there are probably bigger basket cases in terms of the Leeds-Goole, Sheffield-Cleethorpes via Brigg, Sheffield-York or Stockport-Stalybridge services due to their token and infrequent nature.

MrEd

Exactly and the ending of the stay local message on April 12th does not coincide with a timetable change. For the majority of operators DfT have asked for the ramp up on service to happen on May 17th.

Demand isn’t going to go from very little to everyone back overnight - there is still a pandemic going on!
I agree about May 17th- that will almost certainly be the day when service levels increase to coincide with the timetable change. Demand will remain very low for some time as so many workplaces are still shut (and will remain so throughout April) and so many folk are working from home.

willgreen

While I generally agree, there are probably bigger basket cases in terms of the Leeds-Goole, Sheffield-Cleethorpes via Brigg, Sheffield-York or Stockport-Stalybridge services due to their token and infrequent nature.
In fairness, these aren't really services at all - their only function is to avoid the need for closure. The Little NW lines do actually have a usable service. Fair point though!

Glenn1969

Established Member
I personally think there will be a big increase in leisure travel demand quite quickly in April but don't see commuting for some time

Efini92

Established Member
I don’t think the Stockport-staly service has run since the covid timetables came in.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I personally think there will be a big increase in leisure travel demand quite quickly in April but don't see commuting for some time

With the school holidays this week and some nice weather forecast, likely will be seaside trains this week and next.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The Mid-Cheshire line has got a bad deal under both the RMT strikes and the COVID timetables.

The strikes were either a very limited Chester to Altrincham train service or a very limited Chester to Altrincham rail replacement bus, at best around every 3 hours, at worse around 3 or 4 services per day.

The COVID timetable has generally been 2 hourly from around 7am to 7pm, not even increasing to hourly at peak times. The last time a full weekday timetable ran was around 25 March last year.

Note that this is a route which should have gone half-hourly at the main stations in 2017 and a route which serves the largest city on Northern's network, as well as there not being suitable normal bus services, unlike on many of the other routes around the big cities on Northern's network.

It's always intriguing to see which routes are affected by shocks (i.e strikes and Covid). Some routes disproportionately so, and others pretty much run to normal; often this is a case of different depots route cards and their establishment numbers. It's never evenly balanced - compunded by good or bad local/regional management which leads to many of the "bad deals" on various lines. Not saying it's right, but its not always easy to adjust it more evenly across the board and certainly not somewhere as geographically disparate as Northern.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread isn't in Speculative Ideas, so if we get into speculative territory we will need to either move the thread, or individual posts, into the appropriate section.

We absolutely welcome any ideas/suggestions/speculation, but we do ask they are posted in the dedicated section. Thanks:)

A thread for the S&C and Bentham lines can now be found at:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-carlisle-lancaster-lines-be-improved.215697/

Djgr

Established Member
Not necessarily- first of all, even though you are no longer legally required to stay at home under English law, you are required to stay local until at least April 12, which would rule out travel from Leeds to Carlisle (although admittedly a journey from e.g. Skipton to Settle or Ribblehead might be just about OK). I must say I’m losing track of all these restrictions now- is the English ‘stay local’ one comparable to the Scottish one which forbids you to leave your council area without a good reason, but will allow you to travel freely within it from 5 April? A slightly unbalanced rule, as some Scottish council areas are the size of Belgium while others are just one city. Presumably ‘local’ in England can also be defined as within your local authority area?

Also, the Department for Transport in England may well continue to stipulate that public transport is for essential journeys only, not for recreational activities. They may continue to stipulate this even after shops, pubs and accommodation reopens- I noticed that when the first lockdown eased, the ’essential journeys only’ rule was not dropped by the DfT (and not removed from TOCs’ websites) until 15 July, even if the ‘stay at home’ order expired in June. How this rule is enforced I am not sure, as the police can no longer force you to return/stay at home. Could they still stop you boarding a train if you didn’t show an essential need to use one? I don’t know. That said, if the ’essential journeys only’ rule persists, the TOCs will do no more than is required to facilitate essential travel (often because they don’t have the staff or logistics to do so, however much they might want to) and will do their utmost to dissuade non-essential use of their services to avoid ovecrowding.

Given that there are still significant restrictions on our activities until May 17th, when we see the full reopening of hospitality and most other leisure activities, it wouldn’t surprise me if operators like Northern kept the ‘essential travel only’ rule until then and then restored a full timetable at the May timetable change.
Staying local is not a legal requirement. It is guidance.

My historic take is that TPE was essentially carved out of Northern to address the non city commuter long distance services in the North of England.

Unfortunately certain more rural longer distance services e.g. Settle to Carlisle were left behind and generally have not received much attention under Northern.

Northern Connect was a somewhat awkward halfway house between TPE and Northern city commuter services. Whilst this had the potential to offer some improvements to certain journeys, albeit with the confusion of yet another railway franchise brand (or sub-brand?), it is fairly moot as it appears to have falling victim to the great Northern rail implosion.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member

My historic take is that TPE was essentially carved out of Northern to address the non city commuter long distance services in the North of England.

Unfortunately certain more rural longer distance services e.g. Settle to Carlisle were left behind and generally have not received much attention under Northern.

Northern Connect was a somewhat awkward halfway house between TPE and Northern city commuter services. Whilst this had the potential to offer some improvements to certain journeys, albeit with the confusion of yet another railway franchise brand (or sub-brand?), it is fairly moot as it appears to have falling victim to the great Northern rail implosion.
That’s simply untrue, it’s had its services increased to the best level for decades if not ever. Just because it’s not got any fancy long distance trains on it anymore it doesn’t mean it’s got a raw deal.

Djgr

Established Member
That’s simply untrue, it’s had its services increased to the best level for decades if not ever. Just because it’s not got any fancy long distance trains on it anymore it doesn’t mean it’s got a raw deal.
Seat reservations, WiFi, first class?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
All trains are showing in the May RTT Rob. Have just viewed the all day schedule for Skipton on 19th May and it looks like Northern have restored the full service on the Bentham Line including the late train that turns round at Ribblehead and the 2244 Skipton arrival from Lancaster?

Thanks for this. This is a sort of positive, although I think that the current end of service is still inadequate for the interim, which I will expand upon below.

Leeds-Harrogate the last train is now 21.29 v 23.39, not quite 4 hours but still a decent cut. Leeds-Doncaster is generally every other hour now. A lot of lines have suffered service reductions.

They're not being "egged on" by the DfT. In the brave new world, the DfT make the decisions and tell Northern what to implement. Northern don't have much choice in the matter. You might think Northern are doing it wrong, but I can tell you there's no point complaining about them, because they're not the ones making decisions here. If you're unhappy, speak to your MP.

That is a bit poor for the Harrogate line, although given the closure of hospitality, not entirely unjustified.

I'm aware that the DfT are behind this. Perhaps they should move it to Leeds.

I think it’s unfair to criticise the operator that tried to implement (probably) the best ever service frequencies on the Bentham Line and S&C, that didn’t come to fruition due to a global pandemic.

It’s probably a very difficult task providing a usable service at the moment while controlling costs, and let’s face it even pre-pandemic evening trains on these routes were quiet outside of the summer- I speak as someone who has lived in Lancaster, Carnforth, West Yorkshire and even had Garsdale as my local station over the last 30 years so have used these trains frequently. I’m also normally a great champion of these two routes and a basher of Northern, but a bit of realism wouldn’t go amiss in the present climate.

It is however a great shame that the pandemic killed evening service usage just as a decent timetable was arriving.

And I think it’s right that Northern prioritises services where people actually live.

Good intentions, but the fact remains that we've not had a full year of working services on the route since 2017 what with the strikes and the pandemic. Prior to this lockdown, the S&C service was almost back to normal, with one of the evening trains missing but the last one in place. That's the sort of reduction that people can work around and would suit the transition phase out of lockdown.

I’m not quite sure what the issue is here, Northern are ramping up the S&C service to what looks like a full timetable at the May change which is when the majority of operators are having their post timetable uplift..

If they had more or less an all day service, this wouldn't be an issue. The problem is the early ending of services doesn't suit the outdoor activities stage of coming out of lockdown. Don't forget that in April, non essential retail and outdoor hospitality should be reopening too, so this timetable which finishes in mid-afternoon is entirely unsuited to that situation.

Not necessarily- first of all, even though you are no longer legally required to stay at home under English law, you are required to stay local until at least April 12, which would rule out travel from Leeds to Carlisle (although admittedly a journey from e.g. Skipton to Settle or Ribblehead might be just about OK). I must say I’m losing track of all these restrictions now- is the English ‘stay local’ one comparable to the Scottish one which forbids you to leave your council area without a good reason, but will allow you to travel freely within it from 5 April? A slightly unbalanced rule, as some Scottish council areas are the size of Belgium while others are just one city. Presumably ‘local’ in England can also be defined as within your local authority area?

Also, the Department for Transport in England may well continue to stipulate that public transport is for essential journeys only, not for recreational activities. They may continue to stipulate this even after shops, pubs and accommodation reopens- I noticed that when the first lockdown eased, the ’essential journeys only’ rule was not dropped by the DfT (and not removed from TOCs’ websites) until 15 July, even if the ‘stay at home’ order expired in June. How this rule is enforced I am not sure, as the police can no longer force you to return/stay at home. Could they still stop you boarding a train if you didn’t show an essential need to use one? I don’t know. That said, if the ’essential journeys only’ rule persists, the TOCs will do no more than is required to facilitate essential travel (often because they don’t have the staff or logistics to do so, however much they might want to) and will do their utmost to dissuade non-essential use of their services to avoid ovecrowding.

Given that there are still significant restrictions on our activities until May 17th, when we see the full reopening of hospitality and most other leisure activities, it wouldn’t surprise me if operators like Northern kept the ‘essential travel only’ rule until then and then restored a full timetable at the May timetable change.

No, this is not the case at all. There is a suggestion to stay "local" if possible, not a requirement, nor should there be.

The whole point of the rule of six and outdoor activities is that people can see friends and family that they haven't seen for a while. This isn't medieval England and we don't all live around the same turnip patch anymore. This phase will inevitably involve some people travelling further than their own settlement, and lets face it, for many urban Yorkshire residents, a wander in the Dales is their "local" leisure activity.

And saying public transport is for essential journeys only whilst opening up more generally doesn't cut it anymore either.
The S&C and Bentham lines are probably the biggest basket cases under Northern's remit. That's a pretty solid reason why they shouldn't get as good a service as, say, local services around Manchester. It's also worth noting that neither route really links any cities together in a meaningful manner (what little traffic there is Leeds-Carlisle is adequately dealt with the WCML. And Appleby isn't exactly a city!), so I think your premise is a bit off anyway.

Oh indeed, and I wouldn't expect half hourly services like on a Manchester local even without the pandemic. The normal Carlisle and Bentham timetables are designed for the needs of those areas anyway, so the covid timetable should be a tweaked version of this, not slashed in half.

There needs to be more engagement if the train operators want to run a service which meets passenger demand. Northern could easily email those who have purchased smart card season tickets since March 2020 with a survey link to find out if they still need to travel and when they need to travel. It could also identify which lines should be priority for flexible season ticket roll out.

With the schools being back and Northern running fewer services, there are some services which have the same or more demand than they had in March 2020.

I observed they asked people to avoid travelling on the busiest peak trains where possible. That would be easier to do if they didn't have gaps of up to 2 hours between services.

Absolutely. I note that mid-cheshire also tends to get the mucky end of the stick.

I agree with your point. It's like telling people to stay apart, closing half of the shops then wondering why everyone is crammed in the remaining ones, or forcing hospitality to chuck out at the same time, then wondering why everyone's on the pavement at the same time. Or telling people to travel on direct trains to avoid changing too many times, then removing all the direct trains so that they have to go on a longer more roundabout route.

SAGE and the Government at their best.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed; if anyone wishes to discuss this further see:

scrapy

Established Member
When Arriva left the picture the new operators said there would be a 100 day review of operations starting March 1st last year. One of the things up for review was the future of Northern Connect, including the commitment in the previous Arriva franchise to staff certain stations 06.00 to 22.00 and whether Northern Connect branding would ever be used. All seems to have gone quiet since then Northern staff apparently haven't even been told the outcomes of this review even though they were told they'd be the first to know.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I agree with this. When it's actually operating, the timetable is very good. It's just it seems to be the first thing for the chop whenever there's turbulence.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with this. When it's actually operating, the timetable is very good. It's just it seems to be the first thing for the chop whenever there's turbulence.

As it's of very limited utility and easily bustituted as an uncongested main road follows it very closely, this does make sense for the Bentham line, really.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They definitely have a shortage of trained drivers. The reason why they can scrape together a service is because they are reliant on rest day working.
Northern has poor management at most levels now, it’s unlikely they will ever get rid of the backlog of training in the next decade.

This will be a problem if true.

The sad thing is, when Eden Brows slipped down the hill, Northern couldn't have been more pro-active and helpful. A good service was provided to Appleby with connecting RRB's, then a further extension up to Armathwaite.

If only the same service ethos was there at present !

Absolutely. This is what would have happenned last year on the S&C, had they gotten up and running in time.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Don't forget that in April, non essential retail and outdoor hospitality should be reopening too, so this timetable which finishes in mid-afternoon is entirely unsuited to that situation.

Unfortunately by the time the Road Map was announced with the April 12th date the railway timetable for the period through to May 17th including Union agreed traincrew rosters had been agreed and put to bed for the majority of TOCs making it very difficult to do fundamental changes to rostering patterns.

The Railway breathed a collective sigh of relief the next stage wasn’t later than the May T/T change.

Railway Planning Teams across the country have been pretty agile but there’s only so much they can do before running out of time to actually plan the timetable.

Llandudno

Established Member
I guess what's also sad is that the "Northern Connect" concept, which would have finally seen some proper investment in, and development of, a genuine inter-regional network to complement that provided by TPE, has been quietly dropped, with presumably no likelihood of resurrection. So farewell to regular direct services from Bradford to Liverpool, Manchester Airport and Nottingham. Even well-established services such as Liverpool to Manchester Airport are potentially at risk, due to the ongoing need to reduce train services through the Castlefield corridor in Manchester.

There seems to be a growing consensus of opinion that long distance trains always suffer with poor performance, so we can't have them. (Except on Crosscountry where there'd be howls of protest if someone suggested that perhaps a 2 hourly service from Glasgow to Plymouth via Newcastle were NOT the optimum use of resource...)

But back to Northern. At least their introduction of new and refurbished rolling stock is now complete and I think they're doing the best they can under what has been extraordinary circumstances during the last 12 months. I only hope that, in time, they ARE able to introduce some of Arriva's original franchise commitments. Certainly, in "normal" times, there's a strong need for a second train per hour between York and Scarborough. A third fast train per hour between Manchester and Sheffield is also likely to fall into Northern's remit. And going back to three (or even four) trains per hour on the Atherton line would be great to see - a proper, turn-up-and-go service frequency. I'm sure there's still untapped potential for faster trains on the Calder Valley, although the need to call at the intermediate stations so frequently, and a lack of passing places, makes this much more difficult to achieve. And ultimately, wouldn't we all like to see some genuinely "fast" services on the S&C - perhaps a two-hourly limited stop service interworked with a two-hourly stopping service. Maybe it will still be possible, post-Covid.
I don’t really think Northern should be allocated any more routes as they seem incapable/unwilling to operate a full timetable on the services they have got, therefore the York-Scarborough shuttles and the possible extra train from Sheffield to Manchester should be operated by someone else

Iskra

Established Member
Seat reservations, WiFi, first class?
All the trains have been refurbished, just like everywhere else and they have had some of Northern’s nicest trains running services. Seat reservations and first class are totally irrelevant to local stopping services.

Anyone wanting luxury travel over the Settle and Carlisle is well catered for by Rail Charter Services or the plethora of other charters that use the line on a regular schedule over the summer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Unfortunately by the time the Road Map was announced with the April 12th date the railway timetable for the period through to May 17th including Union agreed traincrew rosters had been agreed and put to bed for the majority of TOCs making it very difficult to do fundamental changes to rostering patterns.

The Railway breathed a collective sigh of relief the next stage wasn’t later than the May T/T change.

Railway Planning Teams across the country have been pretty agile but there’s only so much they can do before running out of time to actually plan the timetable.

Indeed - this would always be an issue.

Really Northern/DfT should have learned from last year and not cut back the timetable so drastically in the first place on these routes.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Timetables are still scaled well back on many urban routes to major city centres. Unfortunately it's the simple reality that travel short distances to major centres is the only way local rail is competitive, and therefore that's why resources are being directed at these trips. Given the financial crisis the industry is facing, it's a good job there are any services at all on rural routes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All the trains have been refurbished, just like everywhere else and they have had some of Northern’s nicest trains running services. Seat reservations and first class are totally irrelevant to local stopping services.

Decent 1st on the S&C (and the West Highland, and the Kyle line, and pick whatever other touristy route you like) would be money for old rope. The Swiss learnt this years ago. Yes, they're local stopping services, but they aren't commuter services, they are mostly leisure services, and leisure passengers will often cough up a few quid extra to enhance their day out. Same with reserving a table for your group, for example.

Not so much the Bentham line, though, which is more of a local line for (not very many) local people*. The scenery isn't bad, but it isn't remarkable either - I'd say the south WCML was quite substantially more scenic around Cheddington-Tring or thereabouts.

* It's only of relevance to destinations between Penrith, Lancaster and Morecambe and journeys involving the local stations - for anywhere else you'd go via Carlisle or Leeds.

Iskra

Established Member
As it's of very limited utility and easily bustituted as an uncongested main road follows it very closely, this does make sense for the Bentham line, really.
In theory that is the case, however the reality is that many of the Bentham Line stations are down country roads off the
main road that are barely suitable for coaches to traverse, and they also lack areas for coaches to turn around. I was on a RRB in Arriva Train Northern days where the coach driver gave up serving the smaller stations for that reason and even then the journey was significantly slower than the train.

Decent 1st on the S&C (and the West Highland, and the Kyle line, and pick whatever other touristy route you like) would be money for old rope. The Swiss learnt this years ago. Yes, they're local stopping services, but they aren't commuter services, they are mostly leisure services, and leisure passengers will often cough up a few quid extra to enhance their day out. Same with reserving a table for your group, for example.

Not so much the Bentham line, though, which is more of a local line for (not very many) local people*. The scenery isn't bad, but it isn't remarkable either - I'd say the south WCML was quite substantially more scenic around Cheddington-Tring or thereabouts.

* It's only of relevance to destinations between Penrith, Lancaster and Morecambe and journeys involving the local stations - for anywhere else you'd go via Carlisle or Leeds.
Don’t get me wrong, in an ideal world I would love that, but we have to be realistic that services are currently being subsidised massively and that, along with vastly reduced demand, does have an impact on service provision. If it’s not cost effective or practical to implement this, there’s nothing wrong with Open Access Charters hoovering up the premium passengers IMO.

I think the Bentham Line is wonderfully scenic and massively under-rated in that regard.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
When Arriva left the picture the new operators said there would be a 100 day review of operations starting March 1st last year. One of the things up for review was the future of Northern Connect, including the commitment in the previous Arriva franchise to staff certain stations 06.00 to 22.00 and whether Northern Connect branding would ever be used. All seems to have gone quiet since then Northern staff apparently haven't even been told the outcomes of this review even though they were told they'd be the first to know.

I thought the first 100 days review got either binned or postponed due to Covid 19?

Starmill

Veteran Member
With regards to the historic timetable, the following were running on a typical weekday at the December 2019 change:

Eight services from Leeds to Carlisle, with the first from Leeds at 0517 arriving at Carlisle at 0803*, and the last at 1818, arriving at 2057

One service from Leeds to Ribblehead at 1949, arriving 2108

Eight services from Carlisle to Leeds, with the first leaving at 0551 arriving at 0833, and the last leaving at 2013 arriving at 2248

One service from Ribblehead to Leeds at 2145, arriving at 2312

The standard pattern was for these services to call at Shipley, Bingley and Keighley between Leeds and Skipton, although exceptions applied.

*serving Shipley, then all stations to Skipton, then Hellifield, then Settle, and then all stations to Carlisle

A number of other oddities in the calling patterns also existed, for example the Ribblehead to Leeds made all calls as far as Shipley, then Leeds, while the last train from Carlisle ran fast from Garsdale to Skipton and then resumed the normal pattern.

There was also some variation with Gargrave and Long Preston, and occasionally Hellifield. The 1340 from Carlisle ran fast to Appleby, and was also one of the services to skip Long Preston.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In theory that is the case, however the reality is that many of the Bentham Line stations are down country roads off the
main road that are barely suitable for coaches to traverse, and they also lack areas for coaches to turn around. I was on a RRB in Arriva Train Northern days where the coach driver gave up serving the smaller stations for that reason and even then the journey was significantly slower than the train.

I think at the moment it's optimistic to suggest that a coach would be needed to replace it. An accessible minibus-taxi, or two at most, would be quite sufficient. Next week that might change, though, you might need three on a couple of services if it's busy.

Don’t get me wrong, in an ideal world I would love that, but we have to be realistic that services are currently being subsidised massively and that, along with vastly reduced demand, does have an impact on service provision. If it’s not cost effective or practical to implement this, there’s nothing wrong with Open Access Charters hoovering up the premium passengers IMO.

But it's a way of reducing that subsidy, not increasing it. It's literally money for old rope. I'm not suggesting running steam-hauled Mk1s on the service train, it needn't be an awful lot more than curtains and antimacassars to sell it to tourists.

I think the Bentham Line is wonderfully scenic and massively under-rated in that regard.

I really don't. I hadn't done it for years and did it in late 2019 (if I recall). I found it really boring. Yes, it had green rolling hills, but so does most of Southern's network. Utterly unremarkable, and the sort of scenery that is available in pretty much every corner of England other than East Anglia.

I'd go as far as to say that driving it is much more scenic, as the way the road winds around in and out of the railway provides interest that you don't get from the train itself, bonus if you actually see the train! :)

That doesn't mean the line is worthless, but I'd not go out of my way to ride it again now I've ticked it off. If I was at Lancaster wanting a scenic ride, I'd definitely go north or north-west.

daodao

Established Member
I don’t really think Northern should be allocated any more routes as they seem incapable/unwilling to operate a full timetable on the services they have got, therefore the York-Scarborough shuttles and the possible extra train from Sheffield to Manchester should be operated by someone else
The split of services between the Northern and TPE franchises causes fragmentation and duplication. There were originally 2 separate franchises in the North of England, 1 for NW England and the other for the NE/Yorkshire. which was a more sensible operational split. Given the failure of the Northern franchise and the problems at TPE, is the DfT going to consider a restructuring of the way services are to be operated in the North of England, and if so what?

Iskra

Established Member
But it's a way of reducing that subsidy, not increasing it. It's literally money for old rope. I'm not suggesting running steam-hauled Mk1s on the service train, it needn't be an awful lot more than curtains and antimacassars to sell it to tourists.

I really don't. I hadn't done it for years and did it in late 2019 (if I recall). I found it really boring. Yes, it had green rolling hills, but so does most of Southern's network. Utterly unremarkable, and the sort of scenery that is available in pretty much every corner of England other than East Anglia.

I'd go as far as to say that driving it is much more scenic, as the way the road winds around in and out of the railway provides interest that you don't get from the train itself, bonus if you actually see the train! :)

That doesn't mean the line is worthless, but I'd not go out of my way to ride it again now I've ticked it off. If I was at Lancaster wanting a scenic ride, I'd definitely go north or north-west.

Some 185's might fit the bill nicely in the future :)

It is of course personal opinion and I think the weather on the day you travel can make a difference plus the rolling stock you are in. I think it is different to many areas in that it has rolling hills, moorland and good views of Ingelborough. To me it is quintessential Northern England. I respect if you feel differently however and can understand your point, we have many nice lines in this country and the West Highland Line it certainly isn't in terms of scenic splendour. I think it's a good, short, scenic journey with excellent connections at each end so it's easy to get home again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.