• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail begins 158/8 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
158817 first treated featuring new carpets but no changes to seating

Out of interest northern's 158/7 units haven't been refurbished either have they and are in ex Central or Wales and West interiors?

Not counting new seat covers

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
God almighty. Why are they fitting carpets now with less than 2 years on their franchise!?

fgwrich

Established Member
God almighty. Why are they fitting carpets now with less than 2 years on their franchise!?

I think because of some of northerns units actually need carpets! A freind of mine reccently had another Northern 158s sans central carpet strip. :o

Nice to know though that it's only really a change carpet / seat covers job then, looks like the Wales & West stickers will live on and on then...

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern Rail begins 158/8 refurbishment

A pity they never actually finish refurbishment of a fleet. There is always something on 'refurbished units' that wasn't done but should have been

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some of these units are in desperate need of work, the carpets are disgusting.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Personally I think it's the loos that are the main problem. As far as I can tell, they haven't been done since they were built and they're looking a bit "tired". Other than that I think the only real changes needed are cosmetic :)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Some of these units are in desperate need of work, the carpets are disgusting.

Got to agree about the carpets, was on 158816 earlier in the year and there was barely any carpet pattern left amongst the bald patches. It's a cosmetic issue but really makes the train feel unclean.

Tramfan

Got to agree about the carpets, was on 158816 earlier in the year and there was barely any carpet pattern left amongst the bald patches. It's a cosmetic issue but really makes the train feel unclean.

I was on 158842 earlier in the year (before it dropped its carden shaft) and this was the same, carpet completely worn away in places and what remained was gritty and unpleasant.

387star

On Moderation
This is from the Northern Railways forum- there is a picture on that site

fgwrich

Established Member
I think it's exciting, look at ATWs class 158s, they look new inside.
I wonder what the refurbishments will be

As quoted above...New Carpets and possibly, if they stretch that far, an interior tidy up...

Incidently, having seen that pic on the Northern Railways forum - those carpets look vaugely familiar - rather similar to few refurbished Wessex Trains units!

Status
Not open for further replies.