• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil73

Hi everyone, my first post here and as I dont want to ambush anyone else's thread I thought I'd start my own!

Just like to hear from anyone else who has applied for the trainee drivers job at Blackpool. I passed the application stage and completed the 'online visual test' and recieved an e-mail stating I was successful in reaching the benchmark. It said I was to be shortlisted and I would hear within 6 weeks. Admittedly it has only been 5 weeks now but to quote a certain football manager its getting 'squeaky bum time' now!! Anyone else heard back from the Ivory towers at Blackpool?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunday_mornin

Same situation here Neil, applied for Blackpool and passed the visual test. It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow when I received my last email. I'm checking my emails religiously several times a day.

Here's hoping for great news either tomorrow or next week.

Neil73

Yep same here, 5 weeks tomorrow and like you say.., i'm refreshing my e-mail account looking for a reply :roll:

Best of luck then mate, hope to hear good news soon. And you're in Wigan., only 15 mins or so from me in Chorley!

Sunday_mornin

Fingers crossed mate, seems managers interview is the next stage on this particular ladder. Assuming you saw the thread last week? One lady has already heard back from Lime Street and has been invited to an interview on Monday next week IIRC.

Neil73

Oh yes I read that thread., you calling her a 'sonny' and all that!! Ooops ha. Obviously not sure if her closing date was prior to ours at Blackpool but good luck to her all the same. I was always under the impression that it was the assessments first then the interviews? Theres loads of good info/advice amongst these threads but the general census is to relax a little and big yourself up with the answers. I wonder if anyone who has been to a Managers interview recently would like to share there experiences here?

shroeder

Hi

If you went for the same Blackpool vacancy I was looking at I think there was about a week between the Liverpool and Blackpool closing dates so fingers crossed you get an email soon!

I was just at the stage of submitting for Blackpool when the Liverpool positions came up and I decided Liverpool would be easier for me to get to from Bolton. Though sods law, I think a day or two after submitting my application, the Manchester vacancies went live!

Think happy thoughts people! :D

Sunday_mornin

Blackpool came up first and applied straight away, followed by Liverpool and Manchester. Blackpool is the furthest for me but I'm not bothered, I'll happily drive to Blackpool daily given the opportunity.

This waiting is difficult though, I'm dying to buy a new suit but don't want to tempt fate.

Beveridges

Established Member
Blackpool is one of the better depots anyway for diagrams, routes and book on times in the bottom link, at least compared to Manchester. So even though its further it may not be a bad thing to go for it instead. Not sure what the maximum commute distance is now, I know they used to only allow half an hour but that might have changed.

Last edited:

Sunday_mornin

60 minutes is what I read, I recall double checking that before I applied. I can do Blackpool in 50 so hopefully that should be fine. I see you work at Blackpool, you heard anything regards new recruits, numbers etc?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just thought I would double check and found this on Northerns website:

Minimum role requirements

You must not have defective colour vision
You must be willing to work irregular and unsociable shift patterns
You must live within a 60 minute commutable distance from the location you are applying for
You must be aged between 20 and 62 years

Beveridges

Established Member
I work exclusively on Blackpool's light maintenance depot (if you can call it that) so don't hear the latest news about the mainline side. I know things about the job though as I have looked into it a number of times in the past.

Beveridges

Established Member
A link is a rota and most depots have more than 1 link each with different diagrams and routes. Bottom link is normally where new starters go though it can take ages to move up. Blackpool only has 2 links, think the main difference is the top link sign York and the bottom link don't

Neil73

oh I see so the newbies get what some would see as the 'crappy' rotas until you move up seniority, then you get the more sought after links/rotas?

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes, that's right, and it's one thing that has put me off to be honest

I only looked at it briefly, but bottom link does not get *all* the crap jobs, just more than their fair share. There are still some crap jobs in the top link, but not as many. Also routes are generally better in top link like Blackpool top link sign Manchester and York and bottom link dont if I remember right. At least Blackpool only has 2 links. Man Picc had 3 links when I looked into it, and only the top link signed Preston if I remember right.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I think some correction is needed.

Blackpool does have 2 links but there is no "top" or "bottom" link since progressive linking ended. One link sign York (previously the top link) and the other link sign Manchester and the rest of the booked work shared across both links with the jobs appearing in both although new drivers would enter the Manchester link.

Sunday_mornin

Just recieved the following email response this morning regarding a query I made about the Trainee Driver positions at Blackpool;

Thank you for your email.
The applications are still being sifted we are sorry that this is taking a lot longer than we first anticipated, and we will update you once we have completed the sift please monitor your registration page as the outcomes will be posted online.
In the meantime we would like to thank you for your interest in Northern Rail and patience whilst your application is being processed.
Kind Regards
Recruitment Team

Then less than hour later recieved this email;

We have now completed the shortlisting process and can inform you that you have met the required criteria. However, due to a change in our course requirements we are unable to progress your application further at this time.

It is proposed to keep your application on file for the next 6 months and should any vacancies for Driver at Blackpool arise during this period we will contact you once again.

If no opportunities arise within the next 6 months your application will expire and you will be required to submit a new application for any future vacancies.

If you no longer wish to be considered for this role please can you advise us by emailing [email protected]

Please note that you will be required to submit a new application for any other vacancies that you wish to apply for.

Please accept our apologies for the length of time it has taken and we would like to thank you for your patience and continuing interest in Northern Rail

Does anyone know what this means? Are there actually no positions anymore at Blackpool? As anyone out there actually been successful at progressing for this position?

Either way, totally disappointed.

Neil73

Yes I got the same e-mail this morning from H.R.

My guess is simply that they've recruited from within!! So so disappointed with the whole process. Makes me even more determined to apply again though with other T.O.C's; as the old saying goes...'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'! :lol:

Pfft!

Sunday_mornin

Oh yeah, hell will freeze over before I give up. At the very least we can take solice in the fact our app forms are good enough.

Gonna have a day of being fed up though nonetheless.

shroeder

Oh no, that is so disappointing for you. Fingers crossed they have more vacancies this year.

Sunday_mornin

The annoying thing in hindsight, is that I applied for Blackpool because it was the first job available. Liv and Manc only became available once I had already submitted for Blackpool, Liverpool is actually far more convenient for me living in Wigan but didn't want to cancel my current app and start all over again.

So wish I had gone for Liverpool now #ahbugger

SkinnyDave

Established Member
The annoying thing in hindsight, is that I applied for Blackpool because it was the first job available. Liv and Manc only became available once I had already submitted for Blackpool, Liverpool is actually far more convenient for me living in Wigan but didn't want to cancel my current app and start all over again.

So wish I had gone for Liverpool now #ahbugger

Apply for TPE in Liverpool they have extended closing date..
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.