• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Day ranger for £10!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I'm confused. Firstly presumably most of the regional papers listed are weekly ones, so there'll only be one edition of the paper that has a token, hence you'll need to buy two copies of the same edition regardless.

Secondly, does anyone know if you need two tokens per ticket or will two tokens enable you to buy as many tickets as you like, for as many different days as you like.

Also, anyone know anywhere in Leeds where I can pick up a copy of any of the Lancashire local papers????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I'm confused. Firstly presumably most of the regional papers listed are weekly ones, so there'll only be one edition of the paper that has a token, hence you'll need to buy two copies of the same edition regardless.

Many of the regional papers are actually daily (except Sundays), certainly true for my local paper

Established Member

Secondly, does anyone know if you need two tokens per ticket or will two tokens enable you to buy as many tickets as you like, for as many different days as you like.

Also, anyone know anywhere in Leeds where I can pick up a copy of any of the Lancashire local papers????

Most fo the regional papers listed that I can tell are daily ones.

Two tokens allow you to buy up to 4 adult tickets, and for a child ticket there must be at least one adult travelling as well.

I would guess they would be hard to find in the Leeds area, best bet would be to ask someone on here.

strange6

Established Member

No, most of these papers are daily editions with a token in eah edition all night this week! :)

You can buy copies of the newspapers by calling their office, do a web search for phone numbers. The relevant newspapers are all listed on the offer page. I purchased 4 newspapers today ( Wednesday) at a cost of £5.00 including post. I intend making 2 trips at least, ask for back copies for this week. I believe the tokens started on Monday this week and possibly end on the 26th however as I said earlier you just purchase back copies. The bloke i spoke to knew nothing about the offer but confirmed the tokens where in the newspaper. He told me i should receive the newspapers by Friday

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions but after I'd posted I had a brainwave moment. My cousin lives in Blackpool so I've asked him to pick up 2 copies of the Blackpool Gazette and send the tokens on to me!

I presume the offer's advertised on the front of the paper and not buried right at the back? My cousin's not the brightest chap and might come back with the wrong paper if it's not obvious!

WestCoast

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions but after I'd posted I had a brainwave moment. My cousin lives in Blackpool so I've asked him to pick up 2 copies of the Blackpool Gazette and send the tokens on to me!

I presume the offer's advertised on the front of the paper and not buried right at the back? My cousin's not the brightest chap and might come back with the wrong paper if it's not obvious!

On the first day of the offer (Tuesday), there was a banner on the front page with the token near the back. However, subsequent issues have not the banner on the front, just the tokens at the back.

strange6

Established Member
To get the most out of this Northern Ranger, i would suggest using on a Saturday and starting early, especially if you plan to travel on the Cumbrian coast route with it. Do northern run an express service from Lancaster to Carlisle by the way? This will be essential to me if I'm setting off from Wigan North Western

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
To get the most out of this Northern Ranger, i would suggest using on a Saturday and starting early, especially if you plan to travel on the Cumbrian coast route with it. Do northern run an express service from Lancaster to Carlisle by the way? This will be essential to me if I'm setting off from Wigan North Western

Only Virgin and TPE run via Shap (the WCML) from lancaster-Carlisle. All Northern services are via the Cumbrian Coast, and take at a guess 2.5-3.5 hours.

cuccir

Established Member
Does anyone know if this offer includes the 'round robin' tickets eg the North East round robin?

WestCoast

Established Member
Does anyone know if this offer includes the 'round robin' tickets eg the North East round robin?

From the T&C of the offer it appears to just be a day ticket valid on any Northern service. No other TOCs are valid. If you can do the round robin on all northern (which I don't think you can) then it will be fine.

cuccir

Established Member
From the T&C of the offer it appears to just be a day ticket valid on any Northern service. No other TOCs are valid. If you can do the round robin on all northern (which I don't think you can) then it will be fine.

Is that the case? I read it as a Northern Only version of a specific day ranger-type ticket, priced at £10 eg You could buy a Northern only Cumbria Day Ranger (for example), and it would cost £10. But it's an all Northern day ranger ticket? That's even better! Just need to combine it with an advance single from Durham to York and make sure I arrive in Newcastle for the late night Northern Service home!

Now, what's my nearest/easiest/cheapest to get to staffed Northern station from Durham? Its probably Sunderland I guess?

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Yeah it is presented as a FLAT FARE and that you can "travel anywhere on the northern network" so it is network-wide! Enjoy:D

Established Member
Why not Durham itself, you forgetting about the early morning/late night services that run betwenn Saltburn/Middlesbrough and Newcastle? After all it is a station on the Northern network.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just checked and yes you should be able to get it from Durham:

Northern Rail website said:
5. Go to any staffed station within the Northern network to be issued with your tickets.

34D

Established Member
The offer appeared in tonight's Johnstone Press North West Newspapers. They are going to print ONE token in each newspaper until Saturday 26th. You have to collect two tokens and then register on the website to print off an application form and then take to be issued at a Northern station.

Full terms and conditions are here...http://www.northernrail.org/march10

I find the graphic on this website, and the terms and conditions in general, rather misleading:

northern website said:
Northern Rail and Johnston Press Flat Fare offer Terms and Conditions
1 Start date: Monday 28 February 2011
2 End date: Saturday 26 March 2011
3 Valid every day for the duration of this offer
4 Time restriction: not valid on trains timed to depart before 0900 Mondays to Fridays - valid all times at weekends and Bank Holidays
5 Price: Adult £10.00 each / Child £5.00 each – no further discounts available
6 Valid on Northern Rail services only
7 Affix two tokens from participating newspaper to the application form and take to any staffed station within the Northern network (can't be exchanged on trains)
8 Completed signed application forms are valid to purchase up to four Northern Rail Day Ranger tickets (must include a minimum one adult ticket)
9 Photo copies of tokens and applications forms are not accepted
10 Postcode details captured will be shared with Johnston Press.
11 If you opt in for marketing from Northern Rail and Johnston Press, your details will be passed to Johnston Press

It is only clause 8 which suggests that the ticket is actually only valid for one day. Clause 3 4 and 5 suggest that the ticket is valid for a month - or maybe its just me who reads it thus.

Last edited:

strange6

Established Member
I find the graphic on this website, and the terms and conditions in general, rather misleading:

It is only clause 8 which suggests that the ticket is actually only valid for one day. Clause 3 4 and 5 suggest that the ticket is valid for a month - or maybe its just me who reads it thus.

I have never interpreted it like that :) I always took it to mean that you can only buy and USE your day ticket within the promotional period only

Established Member

You may have a point, except I'm looking at 1,2 and 3. Anyone want to try it out on a train and see what happens?

Established Member
Same, but could always have a go. There was similar confusion over a FGW promo where you could travel at a much discounted rate in 1st class IIRC at weekends if you had a season ticket, but it didn't specify what the season ticket had to be (so you could buy the cheapest season ticket and get the discount).

strange6

Established Member
Same, but could always have a go. There was similar confusion over a FGW promo where you could travel at a much discounted rate in 1st class IIRC at weekends if you had a season ticket, but it didn't specify what the season ticket had to be (so you could buy the cheapest season ticket and get the discount).

The ticket itself will probably be a standard BR type ticket with 'oneday' printed under the 'valid' section and NORTHERRAIL DAY RANGER printed inthe bottom red bit. Nice try though!

cuccir

Established Member
Why not Durham itself, you forgetting about the early morning/late night services that run betwenn Saltburn/Middlesbrough and Newcastle? After all it is a station on the Northern network.
Just checked and yes you should be able to get it from Durham:

I took this to mean a station staffed by northern?

I know its physically possible to go from Durham in the morning, but it would mean having to do back and forth along tyne valley and either settle to carlisle or cumbria coast. I've done Tyne valley and cumbria coast a lot. Whereas I can get much more quickly to the wider northern network at York, and schedule to travel back via carlisle and the late northern train from newcastlle!

34D

Established Member
I took this to mean a station staffed by northern?

I know its physically possible to go from Durham in the morning, but it would mean having to do back and forth along tyne valley and either settle to carlisle or cumbria coast. I've done Tyne valley and cumbria coast a lot. Whereas I can get much more quickly to the wider northern network at York, and schedule to travel back via carlisle and the late northern train from newcastlle!

Surely you coulud buy the northern ticket at Durham mid-morning and also purchase a Durham-York return?

Remember the early morning time restriction.

Established Member
I'm taking it to mean any station that is within the Northern network (getting mine at York, which is EC staff). As long as the station is staffed and has one Northern train per day they that counts (saves you the trip to Chester-le-Street).
Surely you coulud buy the northern ticket at Durham mid-morning and also purchase a Durham-York return?

Remember the early morning time restriction.

Either that or buy an advance, buy the Northern ticket as well and get to York after the restricted time.

34D

Established Member
So the printed ticket won't be like the ticket on the website and say "valid until 26th March"? Very misleading indeed. I thought it did sound too good to be true.

strange6

Established Member
So the printed ticket won't be like the ticket on the website and say "valid until 26th March"? Very misleading indeed. I thought it did sound too good to be true.

LOL Well, you can interpret it as you see it but as far as I'm concerned, they do make it clear cut. Valid for a day, promotion ends 26th March. You chance it if you want to! On your own head be it lol

cuccir

Established Member
Either that or buy an advance, buy the Northern ticket as well and get to York after the restricted time.

That's pretty much the plan, tbh this offer is much better than the northern website made it look- I thought it was a specific day ticket, northern only, from. Northern staffed station! Now I just need to hope my contact in leyland gets the tokens over to me!

To clarify - I realise still that its northern's services only...

Established Member
That's pretty much the plan, tbh this offer is much better than the northern website made it look- I thought it was a specific day ticket, northern only, from. Northern staffed station! Now I just need to hope my contact in leyland gets the tokens over to me!

To clarify - I realise still that its northern's services only...

I've heard of people who have been given a free one due to disruption, allowing them to travel anywhere on the Northern network for free in one day. I've only had travel warrants from them so this sounds like an offer too good to refuse. From York I'm planning on getting an early train to Manchester Victoria and going from there.

WestCoast

Established Member
I've heard of people who have been given a free one due to disruption, allowing them to travel anywhere on the Northern network for free in one day. I've only had travel warrants from them so this sounds like an offer too good to refuse. From York I'm planning on getting an early train to Manchester Victoria and going from there.

Yes, I've had a complimentary travel voucher from them several times. I usually do massive long days when I get them:lol:

However, they send them in place of rail travel vouchers so this could be a breach of their own delay charter? You can only use their services so it is ultimately cheaper for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.