• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Day ranger for £10!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
I planned my trip last night then hit a snag:

Wigan Wallgate - Man Victoria

Man Victoria - Leeds

Leeds - Carlisle

Carlisle - Lancaster (Via Cumbrian Coast)

And then we hit the snag at Lancaster because it would seem I would have to wait a few hours to catch one of the very few northern services from Lancaster to preston and that would be the 15:25 Carlisle to Preston service which only gets in at Lancaster at 19:05.

I wonder why Northern run very few services from Lancaster to Preston? It's a bit odd. Maybe because Virgin have it so well covered so it's not justifiable

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I wonder why Northern run very few services from Lancaster to Preston? It's a bit odd. Maybe because Virgin have it so well covered so it's not justifiable

Well, Virgin have it covered to mostly twice an hour. Plus, you have the numerous TPE services as well - Barrow/Windermere/Glasgow/Edinburgh.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just found the Ranger on my Avantix machine. Go into the secondary menu, select Rovers, input "NOR" into the box and Bob's your uncle.

WestCoast

Established Member
Just found the Ranger on my Avantix machine. Go into the secondary menu, select Rovers, input "NOR" into the box and Bob's your uncle.

But are guards actually allowed to issue this rover, I thought it had to be done at a ticket office on the northern network?

Established Member
Has to be done at an office as you have to present tokens and send the form off to the HQ in York.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Anyone actually successfully bought any of these day rangers yet?

I was planning to go in and buy 4 tickets for 4 different dates but on the form you fill in, there's only one date of travel box. Does this mean that when it says "a maximum of 4 tickets" it means 4 tickets dated for the same day or 4 tickets for 4 different days?

Established Member
Still waiting for the tokens to arrive. I'm not entirely sure you'd be able to do that, seeing as you have to hand in the two tokens with the form. What does it say on the T+Cs?

RJ

Established Member
I'm sure it's available for sale now, it's certainly in my TiS as a "Northern Rail Only Day Ranger."

pemma

Veteran Member
They do have some poor rolling stock, particularly the early 150's. Otherwise, they're not too bad.

Most people would disagree about the 70 or so 142s Northern have and would say the only thing worse than 3 car 144s is a 2 car Pacer.

Northern are a more punctual/reliable operator than either First North Western or Arriva Trains Northern but their predecessors did a lot more in terms of refurbishment.

cuccir

Established Member
My tokens arrived yesterday so will get down to the station tomorrow probably, after I've decided what day I'll do it. The presence of a date on the form suggests that they are 4 tickets for one day though.

BTW, I was sent 4 tokens so I have two spare if anyone wants them.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Still waiting for the tokens to arrive. I'm not entirely sure you'd be able to do that, seeing as you have to hand in the two tokens with the form. What does it say on the T+Cs?

"8. Completed and signed application forms are valid to
buy up to four Northern Rail Day Ranger tickets (must include a minimum of one adult ticket)."

I'd take that to mean you can buy 4 tickets for 4 different dates but there's only one "date of travel" box on the form.

Established Member
I don't think Northern have really thought it through when writing the terms and conditions. I do see your point but only thing is that I assume the tickets are supposed to be used all on the same day, hence one box for the date and one set of tokens.

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't think Northern have really thought it through when writing the terms and conditions. I do see your point but only thing is that I assume the tickets are supposed to be used all on the same day, hence one box for the date and one set of tokens.

Things like this should really go before a legal team before being issued, but maybe Northern's legal team are too busy with all the passengers taken to court who potentially owe them 20p. Just as I was typing that I remembered a Northern conductor short changed me by 30p saying he'd give it back when he had more change and then later on had 'forgotten' about it. I thought at the time it's not worth making a fuss to Northern about 30p but after hearing that Northern take people to court over 20p perhaps I should be claiming back 30p + £30 expenses and £300 legal costs.

strange6

Established Member

Sorry about that. I thought my secretary had posted them but she hasn't done. I have posted them myself just now (Wednesday Night) Should get them by weekend

Established Member
Ah right, thought it was Royal Mail's fault! Will let you know when they arrive, no rush as I'll not be using them for a couple of weeks.

Can anyone tell me whether the vouchers are still appearing in the papers?
Earlier post said "Sat 26". Guess that meant Feb, but could be March!

Rickd

BTW, I was sent 4 tokens so I have two spare if anyone wants them.

If these are still available I would be very grateful.

BTW the way I read it is that these tickets can be changed prior to the date of travel. So if you buy 4 tickets for the last day of the offer you should be able to amend them one by one as you wish to travel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BTW the way I read it is that these tickets can be changed prior to the date of travel. So if you buy 4 tickets for the last day of the offer you should be able to amend them one by one as you wish to travel.

I have just been trying to find out where I got that from.
I'm sure that I read it somewhere but maybe I'm confusing this offer with some other offer.

cuccir

Established Member
Hi Rickd; I'll check when I get home if I still have them (as I've now purchased my tickets), but I think I do. You can't send/receive private messages till you've made 5 posts, so have a look around and post a bit so you can send me your address if I still have them!

ritarail

Very misleading offer..bought tickets in Lancaster paper..offer said go to Manchester / Liverpool/ Buxton for £10..it is IMPOSSIBLE to go from Lancaster to Preston on Northern Rail, so the £10 offer now has the addition of the return fare from Lancaster to Preston...

First class

Established Member
Very misleading offer..bought tickets in Lancaster paper..offer said go to Manchester / Liverpool/ Buxton for £10..it is IMPOSSIBLE to go from Lancaster to Preston on Northern Rail, so the £10 offer now has the addition of the return fare from Lancaster to Preston...

Northern **DO** run infrequent services to/from Lancaster and Preston between Monday and Saturday.

15:25 Carlisle - Preston 19:31 was one that I found for the next departure.
21:43 Barrow - Preston 23:11 is another.

08:42 Preston - Carlisle 12:39 going North
21:59 Preston - Barrow 23:24.

You'd have to check a timetable to find out the full extent.

Therefore Northern do provide a service, you accept the timetable when you purchase the ticket, so where's the problem other than you didn't check the timetable to see whether the timings were appropriate for you? £7.50 return still isn't that bad a price.

Last edited:
Northern **DO** run infrequent services to/from Lancaster and Preston between Monday and Saturday.

You'd have to check a timetable to find out the full extent.

Therefore Northern do provide a service, you accept the timetable when you purchase the ticket, so where's the problem other than you didn't check the timetable to see whether the timings were appropriate for you? £7.50 return still isn't that bad a price

I think ritarail like I did purchased the newspapers to obtain the tokens thinking Northern ran a far more frequent service than the "odd" train between Preston and Lancaster, especially when the ticket was not valid until 09.00 weekdays. It was impossible to get to the likes of Newcastle and North East Coast line in a day which I would have liked to have done. My first thought was that the offer was very good but by the time I sifted through tons of timetables was very disappointed. I certainly will not do another Northern "special offer "bash. In the end I managed to get to York on a Saturday, something I probably could have done with an advanced ticket and taken a faster service for the same price.

Established Member
One of the big stumbling blocks is the gap between York and Darlington. If that had some sort of Northern service on it, it would be great.

ritarail

thanks for observations, FIRST CLASS..the advert in a Lancaster paper ,said for £10 go to Manchester/Liverpool/ Buxton which is the line we bought the tickets for...therefore the ad was incorrect ,as Northern Rail only do the early train [before 9.00 ] & the one around 7pm. from Lancaster to Preston..£7.50 is not a bad price ,but then the [travel for £10 ] ticket price does not apply,when added on.

Status
Not open for further replies.