• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Driver vacancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

strange6

Established Member
Just watch the thousands of applications flow in! Think I'll put in an application for the Manchester jobs myself; just for the fun of it because I know I'll not get anywhere. You never know though lol :)

S19

What are Northern like when it comes to someone taking a large pay cut to join?

I'm half tempted to bang an application in, just for a change in career!

driver9000

Established Member
If you're the right person for the job then it should be no obstacle for you.

S19

Thanks driver9000

I'm not sure if you could help me? But what are the limits on eyesight and weight?

i.e, I wear glasses for distance and i'm shall we say, a bit of a porker :lol:

strange6

Established Member

The trouble is there will be hundreds of 'right people'. At the end of the day, it's a lot about pot-luck too
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks driver9000

I'm not sure if you could help me? But what are the limits on eyesight and weight?

As long as you can fit under the desk.......
You see a lot of chubby Bus Drivers though but not a lot of chubby train drivers.

S19

The trouble is there will be hundreds of 'right people'. At the end of the day, it's a lot about pot-luck too

As long as you can fit under the desk.......
You see a lot of chubby Bus Drivers though but not a lot of chubby train drivers.

I've never not been offered a job i've applied for. These roles are almost like setting yourself up for failure haha

Beveridges

Established Member
Only 2 vacancies at Man Vic and at 2 BPN so it makes you wonder why it was advertised externally. Was already advertised internally as well before last week, they must have not really had enough applicants from within the TOC.

driver9000

Established Member
I'd need to check to be certain through the stuff I have as I can't remember off the top of my head. I have BMI 33 in my head for some reason though.

S19

I'd need to check to be certain through the stuff I have as I can't remember off the top of my head. I have BMI 33 in my head for some reason though.

Cheers fella

Think I might have to stick to what I do now for now :lol:

Established Member
Only 2 vacancies at Man Vic and at 2 BPN so it makes you wonder why it was advertised externally. Was already advertised internally as well before last week, they must have not really had enough applicants from within the TOC.

OMGZ you're not suggesting it's gonna go to an internal candidate?! OMGZ!

Well, last I heard, almost every guard west of the pennines applied ;)

Beveridges

Established Member
I never realised it would be so popular with the Guards.
If that many have applied, and there are only two vacancies, it makes you wonder why it was advertised external in the first place. Do HR and the Driver Managers really want to read hundreds of applicantion forms when they must already have dozens from within the company already?
Some Maintenance Depot Drivers have also put in for it. Of cause, all these will already have the Psychometric test passes as they are already driving trains.
If it was not for the lower training wage, the level of competetion would be immense for so few jobs.
Only the minority of MDD's have applied as the drop in wages while training puts many off.
But it will certainly be down to the Interview to get the numbers down to the final 2.
I can only say from experience, Driver Interviews with Northern have had a number of changes over the years and they are now very *hard*. Without going into detail, there is much, much more to it than just convincing them that you can work safely, concentrate and provide customer service, believe me *much* more to them than that.
I applied for Blackpool North of cause, having driven up and down the carriage sidings at 5mph for years its now time to move onto the mainline hopefully.

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
Don't think weight will be a problem - I know many extremely large train drivers! As long as you can fit in cabs it's ok.

It tends to be the other problems weight brings-lack of mobility or high blood pressure that may cause an issue. They can't really deny you a job on weight alone as that's your choice. As long as you meet safety criteria (ie can see, hear and won't be likely to keep blacking/passing out) you will be ok.

S19

Don't think weight will be a problem - I know many extremely large train drivers! As long as you can fit in cabs it's ok.

It tends to be the other problems weight brings-lack of mobility or high blood pressure that may cause an issue. They can't really deny you a job on weight alone as that's your choice. As long as you meet safety criteria (ie can see, hear and won't be likely to keep blacking/passing out) you will be ok.

I just spoke to an acquaintance who works for another TOC as a driver and he advised me the same. I walk 20-25 miles a week with my dogs. I'm quite fit for a chubster lol.

TDK

Established Member
Just watch the thousands of applications flow in! Think I'll put in an application for the Manchester jobs myself; just for the fun of it because I know I'll not get anywhere. You never know though lol :)

I thought you were more in quantum physics and rocket science myself, why would you want to lower your professional qualities and apply for a train drivers job?
Thanks driver9000

You need a BMI of 33 or under as for eyesight, a lot of drivers' wear glasses, it's lazer eye surgery that may be a problem

I think that any vacancies have to be advertised externally as well as internally

E&W Lucas

Established Member
What are Northern like when it comes to someone taking a large pay cut to join?

I'm half tempted to bang an application in, just for a change in career!

Everyone I trained with took a pay cut during training, so it's not at all unusual.

driver9000

Established Member
Regarding eyesight, I have copied and pasted this directly from the Group standard:

2.3.4 Train driving and travelling as a competent person – visual acuity
2.3.4.1 Railway undertakings shall not permit persons to drive trains or travel as a
competent person with a train driver where there is reason to believe that a
person’s vision, or the means used to correct it, could impair their performance.
2.3.4.2 Railway undertakings shall use the following criteria to test the visual acuity of
persons whose duties involve train driving or travelling as a competent person
with a train driver (other than where on-train equipment failure requires the
competent person only to monitor driver vigilance):
a) distance vision shall be at least 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other
eye; the use of spectacles or contact lenses is permitted to meet this
requirement
b) where contact lenses are used, the test shall be repeated using the
person’s corrective spectacles, that would normally be carried by the
person when on duty
c) where spectacles or contact lenses are used, uncorrected visual acuity
shall be at least 3/60 in each eye
d) no pathological condition likely to cause visual impairment shall be present
e) no progressive eye diseases
f) binocular near vision of at least N8, with spectacles or contact lenses if
worn (applicable only to persons undertaking driving duties)

Found in the following link:
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_...nt/Railway Group Standards/GORT3451 Iss 2.pdf

Established Member
If any of you ever met 'Tiny' at Cleethorpes you wouldn't be worried about that BMI rubbish.

Cleethorpes unfortunately has a rather nice chippy hence why we had to order 60" waist trousers a couple of years ago :(

notadriver

Established Member

Maybe you can tell them at interview that you know all about train driving as you've had experience driving on a heritage railway.

Beveridges

Established Member
I think that any vacancies have to be advertised externally as well as internally

Northern have on numerous occasions advertised vacancies internally only.
Driving usually goes external as well despite it getting a bigger response than station and conductor grades. I can only think the reason it goes external is that the failure rate on the psychometric tests is over 90%. But then you have applicants from the MDD grade applying who already have the test pass.But the interview is so hard it cam catch anyone out no matter what their grade is.

Last edited:

Toots

This could be the one Mick!...Remember!, Positivity is to be the order of the day,and good luck!.

387star

On Moderation
Any hidden tips for the interview there if it is not all about competently answering questions based on safety/emergencies/lone working/problem solving etc?

TDK

Established Member
Touched a raw nerve have I? Oh dear, never mind; but you said it, not me!

Not at all Strange - just an observation and a reply with a smile on my face dude, all that apart it is a known fact that the only qualifications you actually do need to become a driver is numeracy and literacy, you don't need any grades but some qualifications in some areas do give some the edge, but not quantum physics or rocket science.
Maybe you can tell them at interview that you know all about train driving as you've had experience driving on a heritage railway.

But that is only 25mph - I doubt if it will give anyone an advantage :D

Beveridges

Established Member
It's not the fact that it's 25mph -Maintenance Depot Driving for a TOC helps and thats only at 5mph - five times slower than a preserved line.
It's the fact that it's for a preserved railway and not for a TOC. Different standards and vastly different traction.

Toots

The fact is,and this goes for all of you,you use anything that may be of advantage.It may be that, if someone has driven a train for a Heritage railway,it may not be much in itself,but if you are in a tie with someone who hasn't,its that one detail that may swing it your way.When competition is fierce for a job,attention to detail is vital and it's those details that can get you the job you want.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
But that is only 25mph - I doubt if it will give anyone an advantage :D

I wouldn't be so sure about that! Depends what you say about it in the interview.

If you work for one of the more credible, disciplined and structured heritage outfits, you will have shown that you can understand, learn and follow a form of rule book, gain an understanding of traction, and usually be able to sort minor defects yourself (far more so than the mainline), and recognising the limitations of the environment, operate a traction unit to the defined standard. If we're talking about steam, there's far more to it than just speed. You're also showing that you have the aptitude and motivation to do all this in your spare time.

Don't forget that one heritage line already has running powers on NR, using its own volunteer crews. Not full mainline driving competence by a long way, but it does indicate the standard that they are working to.

At interview, the key would be to show that you recognise the difference between the two environments. It worked for me, and it is working for an ever increasing number of my volunteer colleagues.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that anyone signs up for a heritage outfit, thinking it's a back door onto the mainline. If it is one, it is going to be a very expensive and time consuming one! Worth considering for teenagers though, as the work experience gained can be enormously helpful in any job interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.