• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Fare Evasion - Help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorriedDad

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but have read much of the excellent advice given to date so will try to keep this brief.

Firstly I want to make it clear that none of the below is intended to be an excuse. I hold my hands up, I am absolutely in the wrong and I understand the seriousness of my offence. I am an absolute idiot and have never felt so angry, upset and disappointed in myself.

I use the train quite regularly although on different days and to different stations so I do not have a season ticket.

On this occasion I travelled from an unmanned station and due to a very busy train the conductor had not passed through the carriage. Whilst I normally buy a ticket either in advance or on the train, I know it is possible to buy a ticket at Manchester Victoria so had intended to do so at that point. On arrival at the station the train had been slightly delayed meaning that I was late for work and having seen a long queue to buy tickets, in a moment of madness, I stupidly tried to pass the Northern Rail staff showing tickets from a previous journey.

On discussion with the RPO I realised how foolish I had been and told her the truth about my journey, my intentions, my mistake and my contact details. I apologised profusely and The RPO said that my honesty and co-operation, at this point, would be taken into account. Whilst I know that it doesn't matter after the event, I bought a return ticket for my journey from the ticket office.

As I said, there are no excuses for my actions and I just hope that Northern Rail take a lenient view for this first (and last) offence.

I went back to speak to the RPO later in the day as I was sick with worry and she, mirroring the advice on this forum, said that, given this was a first offence, that NR may be able to add me to a database which I fully accept, and be asked to pay a penalty to cover the admin costs of Northern Rail which again I would fully accept. I am happy to pay any appropriate penalty, or take any other required action, in order to settle out of court.

I have a young family and a job (and a professional qualification) which they and I rely upon which it devastates me to think I could have impacted. I fully appreciate that this is my responsibility and I cannot believe, in the cold light of day, how I could jeopardise this.

I have since arranged a photo ticket so that I can buy a weekly pass on those weeks where I will take the train each day and I have also prepared a loan application to purchase an annual pass and would be happy to complete that if it might help.

I expect to get a letter from NR asking for my version of events and I have drafted a response. I was hoping that someone on the forum might take a look at it and let me know if there is anything that I should / shouldn't say in it.

I know I don't deserve any help but I will genuinely appreciate any advice on how to avoid a criminal record. I will never make such a stupid and unacceptable mistake again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I haven't received the letter yet but am expecting it to arrive in a few weeks. Probably just before Christmas :(

I expect it will read something like the one previously posted from the NR Dept and Prosecutions Unit, repeated below:

This office acts as the prosecuting authority for NR. The company has a zero tolerance policy in matters of fare evasion and anti-social behaviour.

On X 2012 you were spoken to by an authorised member of staff at Manchester Victoria train station with regard to an incident of the non payment of a rail fare. Before the company proceeds further with its investigations in respect of this matter, we would like to give you the opportunity of responding with your explanation concerning it. Please complete the bottom section of this letter and if you wish to make an comments, please do so on the reverse.

As you will appreciate, this is a serious incident; therefore it is imperative that you do not hesitate in contacting the Unit asap to ascertain the full facts in this matter. Failure to respond to this reasonable request or provide a satisfactory explanation with regard to this incident will result in legal action being taken (Regulations of Railway Act and Railway Byelaws apply). I must inform you that should legal proceedings be invoked, in addition to any fines imposed by the court there will be an application for £XXX as a contribution to our costs. Offences are recordable and should you be convicted you will receive a criminal record.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
The thing is, the RPO probably won't have a lot of say in how the matter is handled. There's clear evidence of intent to avoid your fare here, which is an offence under the Regulation of Railways Act. If you were to be prosecuted for that offence, then it does carry a criminal record as well as potential difficulties travelling to certain countries.

You'll have to wait for Northern to write to you and see what their intentions are. I'd try and avoid it going to Court if I were you, writing the usual apologetic letter, and offering to settle the case out of Court. Offering the same level of contrition as you demonstrated in your post here may increase your chances of having an offer accepted.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If an amount for the cost they would seek to recover is indicated in the letter you receive, that would be a useful starting point for an out-of-court settlement.

Aside from that, Ferret has pretty much covered what I can say. Wait for the letter at the meantime. There is nothing to be gained by letting it affect your life. The mistake has already happened and is in the past.

WorriedDad

Thank you for your help and advice. I understand the position and that I only have myself to blame for this but I will do whatever it takes to avoid a criminal record.

You suggest that, if an amount is referred to in the letter then I should offer this as a starting point.

I was planning on offering more than this (say double) but also indicating that I would be willing to pay whatever amount they considered to be appropriate. Do you think this would help or not?

As I said I would also be happy to buy a longer season ticket or offer to do voluntary work to help keep a station tidy etc

I am so distraught thinking about the potential impact of my actions.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You suggest that, if an amount is referred to in the letter then I should offer this as a starting point.

I was planning on offering more than this (say double) but also indicating that I would be willing to pay whatever amount they considered to be appropriate. Do you think this would help or not?

Of course offering a higher amount makes it more attractive for Northern to settle, however there is no certainty in that.

I am of the opinion that offering the stated amount should be sufficient, possibly with a small increase on top. Doubling it sounds a little OTT although I can understand your reasons.

Past experience suggest that a criminal record is highly unlikely for a first offence, as long as it is dealt with properly. Of course I cannot guarantee that.

Status
Not open for further replies.