• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Goodbyeeeee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright Boy

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this on here already ?

But If not I'd just like to start a Poll to see if (or how many) there are on here who is thankful that Northern Rail are departing the railway scene:D

I think if we did it in a football score style it would be appropriate, but I am open to change or alteration

I'll start :-

Happy Northern are Leaving = 1
Sad Northern are Leaving = 0

P.s. on my way to/from work today there were 2 cancellations of the four possible trains I needed to take.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Make it 1-1

As my signature suggests, I've only used Northern a few times...

Bright Boy

Make it 1-1

As my signature suggests, I've only used Northern a few times...

As I assume you mean you use TPX more ? My feelings of TPX are not the same as Northern, I have used TPX many times and have been happy with them.

Bright Boy

His signature says he's visited every Northern station.

Oh I see, I don't usually read the signature notes after each members title, I can't see the point of them.

well obviously he was just being sarcastic, and possibly a little blinkered also:roll:

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
...But If not I'd just like to start a Poll to see if (or how many) there are on here who is thankful that Northern Rail are departing the railway scene:D....

As it stands am happy to see Arriva taking over looking at the Franchise

The only real difference is who gets the 3% profit from revenue.

Staff are the same, trains are the same, managers and directors are the same, it'll be the same.

Northern have performed miracles with the stock they inherited and a supposed no growth franchise. I am sure if they had been given a real chance from the start they would hàve made a great job of managing new stock in a growing franchise but they were set to suffer from the start.
Sad to see them go.

66Yorks

The times I have used Northern Rail they have been ok. Train staff have been friendly but as previous post has already said, same staff, trains etc just different uniform come April.

1D53

Established Member
Northern have performed miracles with the stock they inherited and a supposed no growth franchise. I am sure if they had been given a real chance from the start they would hàve made a great job of managing new stock in a growing franchise but they were set to suffer from the start.
Sad to see them go.

Can't say fairer that that myself. Be sad to see then go.

johntea

Established Member
Nothing is magically going to change overnight you know :lol:

It's a bit like when I'm at work and getting quotes from sales companies, they can all talk the talk but the proof comes in the pudding...

Also Arriva aren't in my good books at the minute, their bus timetable round my area seems to be a 'when it feels like it / just not bother showing up at all'!

Bright Boy

The only real difference is who gets the 3% profit from revenue.

Staff are the same, trains are the same, managers and directors are the same, it'll be the same.

I agree to some of what you say, all the TOC,s are just in it for the profits going to the shareholders, however some are better than others.

From what I can see about Arriva in both their Welsh trains and North West buses, they seem to do more to get their profits, by putting on more services and trying to be more reliable, that have already promised more trains, better trains, more routes and more trains on existing routes for Northern

najaB

Veteran Member
From what I can see about Arriva in both their Welsh trains and North West buses, they seem to do more to get their profits, by putting on more services and trying to be more reliable, that have already promised more trains, better trains, more routes and more trains on existing routes for Northern
You do realise that the outgoing Northern were specifically prohibited from buying new trains, etc?

Bright Boy

Can't say fairer that that myself. Be sad to see then go.

No new trains, waited until 1 year before franchise renewal to lease more 2nd hand trains, on a personal note, staff have tried to charge me more than the fare advertised at least 3 times, the fares I have had have varied at least 3 times when getting exactly the same trains week in week out, (not a price change) and have been rather rude to me several times, one even laughed about when they were getting the Peak hours prices put in, because it meant in Manchester we could rarely use the GM subsidised tickets:roll:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
You do realise that the outgoing Northern were specifically prohibited from buying new trains, etc?

Exactly... A sterling job given their restrictions - it will be an honour to do CRE - MAN on their last service

Bright Boy

what about cascaded units from the south ?, why wait until it was too late ?

answer this question, why is it that Abellio and Serco refused to reapply as a joint company for the new franchise ?

1D53

Established Member
No new trains, waited until 1 year before franchise renewal to lease more 2nd hand trains, on a personal note, staff have tried to charge me more than the fare advertised at least 3 times, the fares I have had have varied at least 3 times when getting exactly the same trains week in week out, (not a price change) and have been rather rude to me several times, one even laughed about when they were getting the Peak hours prices put in, because it meant in Manchester we could rarely use the GM subsidised tickets:roll:

Suggest you read up on what Northern delivered and why the Dft required then to do. The dft hold the purse strings on new stock etc.

Bright Boy

Exactly... A sterling job given their restrictions - it will be an honour to do CRE - MAN on their last service

One of the trains cancelled this morning was Crewe - Manchester, saying you are blinkered doesn't do you justice really:o

They will probably cancel that one <D

DarloRich

Veteran Member

No, he doesn't and neither do lots of people. They think Northern chose not to order new trains to increase profits and only at the end in a cynical attempt to keep the franchise did they get second hand cast offs form London

what about cascaded units from the south ?, why wait until it was too late ?

Do some background reading - plus not many diesels down south

Nothing is magically going to change overnight you know

But everything will get a new coat of paint which what many on here care about

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
One day the penny will drop that a new franchise rarely makes things better these days.

Bright Boy

Do some background reading - plus not many diesels down south

But everything will get a new coat of paint which what many on here care about[/QUOTE]

Arriva have done more than given the trains a new coat of paint/how about demus/electrics - Do some background reading yer' self

Status
Not open for further replies.