• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail job site goes live

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member

Thanks for the reply.

I can only assume that the CV requirement differs from job to job. Since they moved away from the Deutsche Bahn site there is a lot more information they are asking for. For example, they now ask for reference details and there are a couple of competency based questions too. I just find it odd that they still don't ask for a CV with some of the vacancies.

CJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
Does anyone know if they accept an application for employment if you live outside of 45 minutes from your chosen depot but you’re willing to relocate. Unfortunately very few depots near me.

richfoz84

Does anyone know if they accept an application for employment if you live outside of 45 minutes from your chosen depot but you’re willing to relocate. Unfortunately very few depots near me.
Unlikely. I’m 39 minutes and they were a little concerned by this at my interview

Efini92

Established Member
Does anybody know the overtime arrangements for Northern drivers? How does overtime pay work and how much does the average driver work? Sorry if that question is a bit of a ‘how long’s a piece of string’ type question!

Overtime is paid at normal rate. Rest day working is paid at time and a half with a guarantee of 9.5 hours. Sunday’s on the west is also paid at time and a half with a guarante of 9.5 hours.
Different depots have different amounts of overtime/RDW available.
Before Covid19 lockdown Manchester Victoria probably had the biggest overtime bill. There’s plenty of drivers that earned £90-£100k a few earned over £115k.

donny12

Overtime is paid at normal rate. Rest day working is paid at time and a half with a guarantee of 9.5 hours. Sunday’s on the west is also paid at time and a half with a guarante of 9.5 hours.
Different depots have different amounts of overtime/RDW available.
Before Covid19 lockdown Manchester Victoria probably had the biggest overtime bill. There’s plenty of drivers that earned £90-£100k a few earned over £115k.
Thanks Efini92, that's answered my question spot on!

Based on the current Northern driver's salary (£54.5k advertised) does that not mean people are working significant overtime/rest days to get up towards £90-100k? Realistically, to earn say £70k, how much extra is a driver going to have to work?

baz962

Established Member
Thanks Efini92, that's answered my question spot on!

Based on the current Northern driver's salary (£54.5k advertised) does that not mean people are working significant overtime/rest days to get up towards £90-100k? Realistically, to earn say £70k, how much extra is a driver going to have to work?
Although I don't work for Northern , train driver's usually do a four day average week. That 54k is roughly £260 a day . Time and a half is nearly £400 a day . You would need to do around 3 day's extra a month for 70k . Not even quite a five day week.

Efini92

Established Member
It works out about 1 rest day a week for someone on the top rate to get to £70k.
However RDW isn’t guaranteed and could be pulled at anytime. There was no RDW agreement with northern for a long time ( 12 years I think ).
ASLEF enforce an equalisation policy whereby the RDW is distributed equally amongst all that are available to work them. At the smaller depots where there isn’t as much training needs it means you’ll get one as the equalisation levels out. At the big depots where there is a massive training need there’s a lot more demand for RDW.

richfoz84

It works out about 1 rest day a week for someone on the top rate to get to £70k.
However RDW isn’t guaranteed and could be pulled at anytime. There was no RDW agreement with northern for a long time ( 12 years I think ).
ASLEF enforce an equalisation policy whereby the RDW is distributed equally amongst all that are available to work them. At the smaller depots where there isn’t as much training needs it means you’ll get one as the equalisation levels out. At the big depots where there is a massive training need there’s a lot more demand for RDW.

I’d be working at Manchester Piccadilly so would assume as it’s a busy station, a few days overtime a month is highly likely? Don’t mind an extra £400 a day!

Efini92

Established Member
I’d be working at Manchester Piccadilly so would assume as it’s a busy station, a few days overtime a month is highly likely? Don’t mind an extra £400 a day!
Don’t forget that £400 is based off the top rate of pay. A newly qualified will be significantly less and you’ll need to sign plenty of roads and traction to get them on a regular basis.
I’m not sure of the specifics at Piccadilly as I’ve never seen their equalisation sheets. I don’t think they do nearly as much as Victoria.

donny12

Don’t forget that £400 is based off the top rate of pay. A newly qualified will be significantly less and you’ll need to sign plenty of roads and traction to get them on a regular basis.
I’m not sure of the specifics at Piccadilly as I’ve never seen their equalisation sheets. I don’t think they do nearly as much as Victoria.
Is the top rate of pay you refer to the current £54.5k? So a new trainee would expect to be on this from Year 3 onwards? Do newly qualified drivers in Years 1 and 2 work any rest days?

Efini92

Established Member
Is the top rate of pay you refer to the current £54.5k? So a new trainee would expect to be on this from Year 3 onwards? Do newly qualified drivers in Years 1 and 2 work any rest days?
Yeah that’s right. I’m not sure what the salaries are for trainee/pqa1/pqa2 any more. Rest days are paid at time and half of your hourly rate.
You can work rest days as a trainee ( providing your instructor works them and doesn’t mind you coming in ) and pqa get plenty for road learning/traction training etc.

rhys37429

I don't understand why you would base your life around overtime.. surely £54,500pa is enough. Anything above £50k puts you in the 40% tax bracket, only way to offset that is to hammer your pension contributions.

richfoz84

Yeah I realise that would be top rate to get that. Still a nice figure! I’ve always liked to earn a bit extra now & again!

Trainee is just under £24k. Year 1 £43k. Year 2 48k. Year 3 onwards £54k.

£54k is plenty for a 35 hour week anyway!

Orange08

Did anyone who applied for the driver positions hear anything or do we think recruitment has been shelved with all that’s going off at the min? Just had a check on my profile and just says application under consideration.

Taylor-j01

When did you apply?

did you get the email saying temporarily paused recruitment due to covid 19 - 3 weeks ago. Rest assured your application is still live......?

Orange08

When did you apply?

did you get the email saying temporarily paused recruitment due to covid 19 - 3 weeks ago. Rest assured your application is still live......?
Think the job closed mid April (17th sticks in my head) so will more than likely been around that time. Don’t remember seeing an email about recruitment been paused but totally understandable if that’s the case.

richfoz84

Took me 4 months from application to being invited to an interview last year. Sit tight, and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.