• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beveridges

Established Member
You come up to a question in MT4.1 that you don't know. Do you:
A) Make a wild guess, or
B) Leave it blank

If you do (A )- you might pick up a point, you might not. If you do (B) you will definetely not. Clearly A is better.

Or you notice that you are running out of time and there are many questions that you will not be able to answer in the 30 seconds that you have got left. Do you:
A) Make wild guesses on them all, or
B) Leave them blank

If you do A you will definetely pick up some points that could make the difference between a pass or a fail. If you do B then you will not pick up any extra points and you could be on your way home very quickly if you didnt answer enough correctly.
If you don't struggle with MT4.1 at all then you won't need to guess, but if you struggled with the questions like I did then the guessing is going to make a big difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Got overall pass but did just miss out on MT4.1 I guessed quite a bit at the ones I didnt have a clue about.
Some head scratching now to try and proceed.

If I need to sit it again I will need to imvestigate more practice material as the ones plastered on how to become etc are not what you get on the day

Beveridges

Established Member
How to become, Barrons books, etc are more geared towards MT4.2 which is heavily Cog/Pulley based, rather than MT4.1.
Did you actually manage to complete the test and at least give an answer for all 36 questions? How did you get an overall pass if you "missed out" on the Mechanical?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
How to become, Barrons books, etc are more geared towards MT4.2 which is heavily Cog/Pulley based, rather than MT4.1.
Did you actually manage to complete the test and at least give an answer for all 36 questions? How did you get an overall pass if you "missed out" on the Mechanical?

Hi

Yeah ones I missed I took a stab in the dark at them.
Not all TOC require the Mt4.1 and Donny say its in addition to the Core assesments which I passed with good results.
Problem is Scotrail I think want mechanical and I need to find out if I need to sit whole thing again on the parts ive been signed off on or do I just need to resit the one.

If I do im going to need to get better practice

Beveridges

Established Member
I think you will only need to sit MT4.1 as it is not part of the core tests but an add on which not all TOCs require. I don't think it counts as 1 of 2 fails anymore. You should be able to ask the assessment center if you can just sit MT4.1 on its own, or ask Scotrail if you pass the application form shortlisting stage if you only have to sit MT4.1 again. I know that when I did mine, there was someone there who only came in for MT4.1 as he had passed the tests before (ATW sent him and they did not require MT4.1) but ATW put him "on hold" forever so he went for a job with Northern and as Northern require MT4.1 they sent him to do that specific test *only* then he went home after taking that.
What your best off doing when preparing to resit MT4.1 is trying to remember some of the questions and finding the answers out for them, as they never change. For example you can read into tree surgery and find out how to chop trees down with a chainsaw, that will help for 1 point. For another point, there is a question about which flag pole is strongest, and the answer is the one that is widest at the bottom. Thats another easy point. Another question asks about over-inflated tyres, which is something you can look at. Theres a question on electric circuits, and another question about a Rack & Gears, so buying the Barrons book and looking at examples in there will allow you to score another 2 points. Then there is a lot of guessing you can do to score a lot more points.
I remember the questions were based on questions about joints, sliders, flag poles, circuits, cams, tyres, wheels, pulleys, rack and gears, bell cranks, pipes, levers, chains, rivets, but as its been a while since I last sat this test, I cant remember the exact questions.

AndyBoo

does anybody know how long northern usually take between an assessment day an a provisional job offer?

already passed my interview for a conductor job. had an assessment day last Wednesday but i didnt have to go because I already had a valid pass. Im just worried now cos ive not heard yes or no.

Am i rigt in thinking if its a no I will receive an email and a yes will be in writing?

jadam35

does anybody know how long northern usually take between an assessment day an a provisional job offer?

already passed my interview for a conductor job. had an assessment day last Wednesday but i didnt have to go because I already had a valid pass. Im just worried now cos ive not heard yes or no.

Am i rigt in thinking if its a no I will receive an email and a yes will be in writing?

I went to an assessment day last Wednesday in York for a Conductor role. After the assessment we were told it would be around a week before we would hear anything. For people already working for Northern they were told they would hear by letter, and for outside applicants it would be the usual method of e-mail. I havent heard anything yet though.

AndyBoo

Suggest you ring to chase tomorrow afternoon? Good luck!

think thats a good idea too. just dont want to be nagging them. took loads f effort to make sure they looked at the national database to make sure i didnt have to retake assessments.

TinyTim89

i applied for the trainee conductors job at leeds last july, finally got an assessment early february (which i passed) only to be told 2 weeks later that there wasn't enough space on the course for me :(

Got put in the 'talent pool' and got the usual "your application (interview) is valid for 6 months and we'll let you know if anything comes up etc" without having to re-apply for Leeds

Today i got a call from HR with an offer of employment and a medical next week :)

It does seem to take them a while....but i'm not complaining!

dugster70

i applied for the trainee conductors job at leeds last july, finally got an assessment early february (which i passed) only to be told 2 weeks later that there wasn't enough space on the course for me :(

Got put in the 'talent pool' and got the usual "your application (interview) is valid for 6 months and we'll let you know if anything comes up etc" without having to re-apply for Leeds

Today i got a call from HR with an offer of employment and a medical next week :)

Well done and congratulations, see you in the depot sometime

jadam35

In the same situation as you were. Northern contacted me today to tell me I passed the assessment last week but as the next course is full I have to wait in the talent pool.
I was told there would be another intake in October so I will have to sit tight and wait. At least I have the pass under my belt so can keep my eye open for anything else that comes up in the meantime.
Good luck on your course....

Garry74

Has anyone done the initial online assessment yet for Northern Rail? I got nowhere near the end of the 150 questions.

shroeder

I've just got my email through regarding the online assessment. :D
Is it the Bourdon thing? I'd quite like to do a few more practice sessions and don't want to log onto the assessment and have to do the test there and then.

JENNY17

Are these assessments for the trainee drivers recently advertised in liverpool or for conductors?

Thanks

callum112233

I've just got my email through regarding the online assessment. :D
Is it the Bourdon thing? I'd quite like to do a few more practice sessions and don't want to log onto the assessment and have to do the test there and then.

It wont be a group bourdon test. Last time it was a questions about your personality. For example: 'are you more likely to do x or y?'

EDIT: although after saying that, I think the test is different to what it was last time. Has anyone taken the test yet?

Last edited:

Garry74

It wont be a group bourdon test. Last time it was a questions about your personality. For example: 'are you more likely to do x or y?'

EDIT: although after saying that, I think the test is different to what it was last time. Has anyone taken the test yet?

The test i did was simply comparing pairs of numbers and letters, then picking which pair did not match. Simples.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Just thought id, post a note to say that after numerous applications to many different rail companies; Passenger, Freight & Maintenance. I now have a post with Northern as a conductor at Man Pic. I have just started training this week; I applied back in Nov last year, had my interview & assessment in March, medical in June & started on Aug 20th. It's a long process; which feels at times as if you'll never get the job! I initially thought that I was never in the running (after passing the assessments etc) because I was told that there was no jobs available; "we'll let you know in 6 months" was the line i got told, right up until there was just about 4 weeks left before i'd have to re-apply again!

But for those people out there; waiting & wishing to work in the rail industry; It does happen; you've just gotta perceiver.

best of luck to those going through the torturous process, the rewards are just around the corner!

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Welcome to our little place we like to call hell errmmmm home lol we ain't a bad bunch at Picc lol

Asian Demon

Just thought id, post a note to say that after numerous applications to many different rail companies; Passenger, Freight & Maintenance. I now have a post with Northern as a conductor at Man Pic. I have just started training this week; I applied back in Nov last year, had my interview & assessment in March, medical in June & started on Aug 20th. It's a long process; which feels at times as if you'll never get the job! I initially thought that I was never in the running (after passing the assessments etc) because I was told that there was no jobs available; "we'll let you know in 6 months" was the line i got told, right up until there was just about 4 weeks left before i'd have to re-apply again!

But for those people out there; waiting & wishing to work in the rail industry; It does happen; you've just gotta perceiver.

best of luck to those going through the torturous process, the rewards are just around the corner!

I'm was in the same position as above, however my position was for Manchester Victoria. On the same training course in fact. I have to thank the forum for all the help and guidance it gave me in applying for this position and it is greatly appreciated. Hopefully see some of you out and about once I'm fully qualified.

AndyBoo

I'm in the same position also. I've been offered a conductor job from the talent pool. But my offer is in a bit of trouble. I used to be a guard for another company, and it appears that on my record is a reference to an incident where i was seen using my phone as my train was leaving the platform. Obviously this was deemed to be against rules. So I have declared this to northern, even though this happened 3 and a half years ago.

Does anybody think this will be enough for them to remove my job offer? kind of a bit worried now. lol. There's nothing I can do but wait.

And what are northerns rules on use of a mobile phone? as if this doesn't constitute a rule break for northern, I believe I should be fine. Any help would be great.

Thanks people.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I'm in the same position also. I've been offered a conductor job from the talent pool. But my offer is in a bit of trouble. I used to be a guard for another company, and it appears that on my record is a reference to an incident where i was seen using my phone as my train was leaving the platform. Obviously this was deemed to be against rules. So I have declared this to northern, even though this happened 3 and a half years ago.

Does anybody think this will be enough for them to remove my job offer? kind of a bit worried now. lol. There's nothing I can do but wait.

And what are northerns rules on use of a mobile phone? as if this doesn't constitute a rule break for northern, I believe I should be fine. Any help would be great.

Thanks people.

using any electronic device is a MAJOR no no during safety critcal operations and while the train is still at the platform you have (what we like to call in the trade) dropped a bo**ock however that would be up to the interviewer, you have done the right thing being honest so you may be ok

spacehopper

Thanks people.

Very very tough! Northern MPED (mobile personal electronic device) policy is probably the toughest in the industry. Phone off when you leave messroom and even in sidings or on a turnaround- engines off, key out and out of the cab.

Last year had one guard on the west and one guard on the east sacked (very luckily reinstated on appeal) for using a phone while doing doors.

Doors policy is also very strict. If you worked for a TOC that let you do doors from anywhere and to not even watch the unit off the platform- Northern SSMP is very different.

Tugzrule

On that basis, my guard last week who remained on the phone, seemingly onto control after a strange emergency stop earlier in the journey, whilst checking tickets and operating the doors, was breaking the policy?

Also, what is the policy with Scotrail - I don't want to get a very helpful guard in trouble for using a phone when they shouldn't.

PS - sorry if slightly off topic...:oops:

Geeves

Established Member
I found out some slightly amusing news in regards to this personality test

Theres a couple of drivers at work who have been trying to get there nearest and dearest onto the railway. One of the drivers thought he would have a go at this test himself, he later received the email telling he had failed! :|

So just what exactly the test is looking for I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.