• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Repaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
158861 is the latest Northern unit to lose its promotional vinyls on repaint. Have Northern changed their policy regarding these, as many showed off some of the fantastic places on the network

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think the vinyls are funded by local authorities/tourist boards/PTEs, so if that funding has been stopped the vinyls will be removed.

That said, doesn't the 'Capital of Culture' 185 still have its associated branding?

northernchris

Established Member
I think the vinyls are funded by local authorities/tourist boards/PTEs, so if that funding has been stopped the vinyls will be removed.

That said, doesn't the 'Capital of Culture' 185 still have its associated branding?

185108 still did have its branding when I last saw it a couple of weeks ago

Beaten to it!

luke1420

Any idea of when 185108 will lose its vinyls? I mean i think it makes the unit look quite good, its just it is a bit outdated now!

Nean

They could just paint over the "Liverpool" with "Hull" and use it on the 2 185 Hull services (IIRC there are only 2 a day that are 185s)... then they won't have to repaint til after 2017 :p

luke1420

yeah i see where you are coming from but TPE would not be able to only allocate it on the Manchester-Hull route. it would end up on any of the diagrams that are booked 185 on TPE's Network.

BantamMenace

Is the benefit not in the fact it'll be going to places other than Hull. You dont need to advertise to or inform the people of Hull to go and visit Hull because it is the capital of culture. You want the people of Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, York, Newcastle... to go and visit.

Emyr

If you run it on Hull-bound services, people who see it may think

"Hey, I can go to Hull from here!"

One would hope they were not already prejudiced against Hull though.

Crossover

Established Member
If you run it on Hull-bound services, people who see it may think

"Hey, I can go to Hull from here!"

One would hope they were not already prejudiced against Hull though.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if 185108 had made it up to Scotland before now, to be honest!

fgwrich

Established Member
I wouldn't be overly surprised if 185108 had made it up to Scotland before now, to be honest!

Many a time! Everytime I'm up in Edinburgh it seems to be on the Manc - Edinburgh services.

I think it would be good publicity though, and they could have a Hull unit paired with the Liverpool one for a Cross Transpennine Trail of Culture.

northernchris

Established Member
Which other 158s have also lost their vinyls? As this is the first I've heard of it

AFAIK 158790 is the only other 158 besides 861 to lose its vinyls, but this was promoting the Northern Rail Cup which now no longer exists. However 156448, 156469 and 156490 have lost their vinyls on repaint

Status
Not open for further replies.