• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyreneenguy

I'll be in the UK the last week in April and thought about having a day / day and a half exploring the North-west on a Northern Rail Rover.

My question, are these tickets nominative or could I share one with someone else ?

If it is possible to share, I'd use it, probably Thursday & Friday, leaving it available for either 2 days ( 4 days out of 7 rover) or 5 days if I take the 7 day ticket.

If anyone is interested, I'd split the cost 50/50, which represents very good value and it could be used for whole the week-end.

Exchange Liverpool Lime Street or nearby.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
Hi. If you mean the Northern Only Day Ranger then be aware this offer ends on Sunday. Are you talking about one of the multi-day rovers, such as the North Country Rover?

Either way, rail tickets are not transferable so officially you can't share it with someone else.

Normally at this point I'd say there is no way to enforce this, but the last few times I've been issued with a day ranger or rover ticket the ticket clerk has insisted on putting my name in the 'issued to' box.

If you only want to be out and about for a couple of days then I would suggest trying one of the day rangers in the area (such as the Lancashire Day Ranger) rather than getting a multi-day rover which you won't be getting the most value out of.

Pyreneenguy

Thanks for that !

I was thinking of using the 'North West Rover' to do this : Liverpool L St / Manchester Vic / Leeds / Carlisle / Workington / Barrow / Preston / Wigan N.W
back to Liverpool L St. A full day with a couple of pub stops ! Plus a half day locally. Even over a day and a half, I'd probably get my money's worth !

I haven't used a rail-rover in years and didn't know if the name of the holder was written on the ticket.

crehld

Established Member
Thanks for that !

I was thinking of using the 'North West Rover' to do this : Liverpool L St / Manchester Vic / Leeds / Carlisle / Workington / Barrow / Preston / Wigan N.W
back to Liverpool L St. A full day with a couple of pub stops ! Plus a half day locally. Even over a day and a half, I'd probably get my money's worth !

I haven't used a rail-rover in years and didn't know if the name of the holder was written on the ticket.

For your first day consider a North West Round Robin, coupled with a cheap advance between Liverpool and Leeds and an anytime day single between Preston and Liverpool. I'm not able to do the maths right now but I think this would be slightly better value than buying a 4 in 8 North West Rover which you'll only really get one day's use out of.

Be aware, however that there are currently no trains operating the full length between Leeds and Carlisle - trains terminate at Appleby with replacement buses ferrying you the rest of the way to Carlisle. It's a significant land slide and the line is going to be shut for some considerable time, so you might want to rethink your plans

Filling out the issued to box on rovers seems to be a recent thing, but staff have asked the last few times I've bought a rover. To be fair it might very much depend on local ticket office custom. But transferring tickets is still not officially allowed.

Last edited:

Pyreneenguy

Thanks again crehid !

I wasn't aware that the Settle to Carlisle route had been affected by a land-slip!

Sod's Law I guess !

I've just found the ScotRail Highland Rover I used in 2011. No box for a name but a second ticket to validate the days of use.

Last edited:

mikeg

Established Member
Just because there is no box for a name does not mean you can share your ticket, if that is what you plan. Whilst very likely to go undetected, if it did come to their attention you were sharing your ticket the consequences can be severe, it would be a slam dunk regulation of railways act prosecution. Yes, you're even Les likely to be prosecuted on the highlands one owing to the difficulty of bringing private prosecutions in Scotland, but the ticket would be withdrawn and it's user forced to pay the relevant single at the least, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.