• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Shortlisted & Passed my DSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanJames93

First time I've applied for a position on the railway (apart from a speculative letter to Merseyrail), and it has been successful so far.

So, what are my chances of getting an interview, and what else can I expect from other peoples experiences?

Just to add, this is for customer service, described as: 'Dispatching trains, providing customer service, supervising ticket gates' etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Northern are quite slow in processing applications, they do get a lot of them, so may be some time.
For those who get to assessment day stage,

TSVT Ticket selling & Verbal Test
A quite straightforward set of questions, you have information on tickets and trains from a made-up train line and must answer the questions correctly and as quick as possible. Usually too many to complete in the time given.

TGT Ticket Gateline test
Very similar to the above one.

TDCT Train Despatch Concentration Test
The more difficult bit....
Part 1. A recorded test you listen to, and on ten scenarios you concentrate on whether the three sounds are in the right order. Pretty easy.
Part 2. The same recorded test, but in the background a customer asks a question which you answer using the information you have infront of you. Seperately, they would be very easy, but listening to them at the same time is a little more tricky.

Generally the tests are done in the morning. For those successful at tests, in the afternoon is the interview.

If successful there is then a full medical (colour blindness test especially important for despatchers).

Geeves

Established Member
The last couple of Despatchers to start at Victoria have not had to sit any of these tests, like we did years back. So im unsure what the day consists of now.

Established Member
I don't think operators could get round sitting those statutory tests - they are group standard qualifications for safety critical roles at any company, and an operator would be in breach of GS rules if they didn't. I hear Virgin briefly introduced a substitute, but then faced an investigation for doing it. Wouldn't surprise me though :)

AlexS

Established Member
I don't think operators could get round sitting those statutory tests - they are group standard qualifications for safety critical roles at any company, and an operator would be in breach of GS rules if they didn't. I hear Virgin briefly introduced a substitute, but then faced an investigation for doing it. Wouldn't surprise me though :)

I thought that you had to be assessed, but that it was up to the operator to decide what tests you have to take?

For example you might take a SCAAT test rather than a TDCT as they both test concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.