• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail timetables from the 14th of September 2020 until the 12th of December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Im looking for improvements between Scarborough and Hull but only see lengthened journeys due to the earlier Scarborough departures at xx57 and longer waits at Hunmanby. It's shoddy work indeed and one that would shame any railway professional.
I notice also that Scarborough has departures at 0956 for York and 0957 for Hull both calling at Seamer - who thought that was a good idea?

berneyarms

Established Member
Im looking for improvements between Scarborough and Hull but only see lengthened journeys due to the earlier Scarborough departures at xx57 and longer waits at Hunmanby. It's shoddy work indeed and one that would shame any railway professional.
I notice also that Scarborough has departures at 0956 for York and 0957 for Hull both calling at Seamer - who thought that was a good idea?
As before I think that you do need to cut them some slack here - with the amount of re-scheduling that they were being asked to do in a very short period of time, it’s inevitable that there’d be a few gremlins.

Questioning people’s professionalism is going a bit too far in my opinion, given the circumstances of very late changes and (presumably) remote working.

I do not want to go too far but a working timetable with trains not passing on a single line was published at the start of the month. It was changed a week later. At the moment all xx.57 departures could run at xx.00 with no effect on the timetable south of Bridlington as nearly everthing is running late anyway. Passengers now leave three minutes earlier and sit on a a stationary train at Hunmanby for up to four minutes on a 36 minute journey. I spoke to the comms team about it but their answers were fantastical, clearly they knew very little about railways.

It's sloppiness at a new level. Has the usual timetable planner left the building?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
It would be fine if it only was an issue with one service - mistakes can and will happen of course.

Every single service on the line having the same issue is rather more suspect however.

Eloise

I do not want to go too far but a working timetable with trains not passing on a single line was published at the start of the month. It was changed a week later. At the moment all xx.57 departures could run at xx.00 with no effect on the timetable south of Bridlington as nearly everthing is running late anyway. Passengers now leave three minutes earlier and sit on a a stationary train at Hunmanby for up to four minutes on a 36 minute journey. I spoke to the comms team about it but their answers were fantastical, clearly they knew very little about railways.

It's sloppiness at a new level. Has the usual timetable planner left the building?
Quite simply yes they have left the building. Some are not allowed in some offices full stop due to social distancing. We have done the best we can in the circumstances. Working from home with nowhere near the level of kit and connections needed, using our own phones and internet connections to keep the job going, working out of hours when connections are better, dealing with change after change after change after change when we are simply not set up to do that many on this scale. And on top of all that we have business as usual (as much as it can be) issues to look at.

Apologies from me we as a planning community got this one so so so wrong. But as I keep saying some things happen you don't necessarily know, nor need to know, that caused some of these issues. Sometimes the bigger picture needs looking at.

Bow Fell

Imagine being upset about 3 minutes:lol:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Southport to Alderley Edge is back which gives Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme their third southbound service per hour. Up to 4tph Mondays to Saturdays now at these two.

Sundays need addressing, however, especially towards Manchester. One train per hour to Buxton is borderline acceptable but gaps of up to three hours towards Manchester are not. The 192 bus must do well on Sundays as it never goes below 6 to 8 buses per hour and the A6 generally isn't too busy.

jamesst

Quite simply yes they have left the building. Some are not allowed in some offices full stop due to social distancing. We have done the best we can in the circumstances. Working from home with nowhere near the level of kit and connections needed, using our own phones and internet connections to keep the job going, working out of hours when connections are better, dealing with change after change after change after change when we are simply not set up to do that many on this scale. And on top of all that we have business as usual (as much as it can be) issues to look at.

Apologies from me we as a planning community got this one so so so wrong. But as I keep saying some things happen you don't necessarily know, nor need to know, that caused some of these issues. Sometimes the bigger picture needs looking at.

Couldn't agree more with this. This year has brought challenges in every area of life that by and large havent been seen before, some people really need to get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.