• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail timetables from the 14th of September 2020 until the 12th of December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman80

Northern have released timetables on their website from the above date.

While im pleasantly surprised about the amount of trains running,im a little concerned about some routes......Skipton-Lancaster in particular.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
Good to see Nottingham to Leeds back but there’s still no Lincoln to Leeds and not surprisingly no Sheffield to Gainsborough Central. I wonder if the Nottingham service will be strengthened between Sheffield and Leeds if passenger numbers begin to rise especially between Barnsley and Meadowhall on Saturdays.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Nice 5 hour gap in the afternoon

Yes, that's particularly poor - but is it their quietest line? It has to be close to it.

It does however seem a bit odd that this receives only a cursory service when the middle of the Cumbrian Coast (which must be the other contender for that) has its pretty-much-hourly service back. Are there particular crew pressures at Leeds (assuming it's worked from there)?

Adam0984

Yes, that's particularly poor - but is it their quietest line? It has to be close to it.

It does however seem a bit odd that this receives only a cursory service when the middle of the Cumbrian Coast (which must be the other contender for that) has its pretty-much-hourly service back. Are there particular crew pressures at Leeds (assuming it's worked from there)?
Its Skipton crew for the Bentham line and one of the harder routes to cover

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Northern have released timetables on their website from the above date. While im pleasantly surprised about the amount of trains running,im a little concerned about some routes......Skipton-Lancaster in particular.

It's certainly an improvement, but there are still some gaps.

There's a later train from Carlisle thank goodness. Interesting that they've gone for the one that leaves Appleby towards Leeds at 20:55, rather than the one that's around 2 hours before, but it does seem to get passengers when I've been on it. Hopefully they'll have the connecting late services at Leeds for when it gets in !

For Lancaster, there's the 20:30 to get back to Leeds which is good as it's the one I usually get.

There appears to be nothing to replicate the 10:24 from Leeds towards Lancaster. I suppose being Northern they had to screw it up somehow.

Last edited:

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Scarborough looks back to normal with hourly service and the through trains to Sheffield. Maybe some changes in the detail.

Veteran Member
There appears to be nothing to replicate the 10:24 from Leeds towards Lancaster. I suppose being Northern they had to screw it up somehow.
True, but I don't remember that being heaving in normal times,
and the short break market to Morecambe can easily go 2 hours later to reach their B&Bs.
Oddly, the workings aren't straight out and back Skipton jobs - does a crew from the Lancaster end cover the 0648 LAN-SKI and 0856 back?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
True, but I don't remember that being heaving in normal times,
and the short break market to Morecambe can easily go 2 hours later to reach their B&Bs.

I do. If not heaving, usually pretty busy.

This is a good way to kill the route off altogether.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Good to see Nottingham to Leeds back but there’s still no Lincoln to Leeds and not surprisingly no Sheffield to Gainsborough Central. I wonder if the Nottingham service will be strengthened between Sheffield and Leeds if passenger numbers begin to rise especially between Barnsley and Meadowhall on Saturdays.

If I remember I'll keep an eye out on the 14th and report back on unit lengths (unless someone here is driving that route).

snookertam

The reason ScotRail haven’t reintroduced a full service was that crew training was suspended and a lot of drivers had been shielding meaning they needed refresher training, which particularly affected outlying depots. Maybe the reason why Northern are taking some of these decisions maybe?

josla1

Furious Liverpool Lime Streer - Manchester Piccadilly at xx17 has not been reinstated to an hourly service instead of peak hour only. Warrington West still only getting 1tph in each direction expect for morning and evening peak.

Adam0984

Oddly, the workings aren't straight out and back Skipton jobs - does a crew from the Lancaster end cover the 0648 LAN-SKI and 0856 back?
Its the back workings of the 0522 Skipton to Lancaster, only skipton crew sign the Bentham line

Veteran Member
Its the back workings of the 0522 Skipton to Lancaster, only skipton crew sign the Bentham line
That's what I thought.
In which case 0856 Skipton to Morecambe plus 0941 Lancaster to Skipton is impossible.
OK, sorted :) the 0941 is from the May WTT and has been left in by mistake, while the back working of the 0856, the 1033 ex Morecambe, has been deleted/not uploaded.

Established Member
Furious Liverpool Lime Streer - Manchester Piccadilly at xx17 has not been reinstated to an hourly service instead of peak hour only. Warrington West still only getting 1tph in each direction expect for morning and evening peak.
As am I.

I finish work after a 12 hour shift and normally leap straight onto an xx:09 from Man Picc. So now, until December at the earliest I've got to go to Oxford Road and wait for the xx:46, adding a good 45 minutes (minimum) onto my journey.

Or I can carry on driving to/from work and get home before I'd have even left MCO...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As am I.

I finish work after a 12 hour shift and normally leap straight onto an xx:09 from Man Picc. So now, until December at the earliest I've got to go to Oxford Road and wait for the xx:46, adding a good 45 minutes (minimum) onto my journey.

Or I can carry on driving to/from work and get home before I'd have even left MCO...

Is there nothing suitable from Victoria?

peters

On Moderation
Roughly 50% of weekday services running on the Mid-Cheshire line - still 2 hourly but with some extras at peak times (meaning hourly instead of half-hourly) and a couple of later services reinstated.

Northern claimed in an email 95% of services will be operating network wide from 13 September!

As discussed previously services suspended on Rose Hill Marple line.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Roughly 50% of weekday services running on the Mid-Cheshire line - still 2 hourly but with some extras at peak times (meaning hourly instead of half-hourly) and a couple of later services reinstated.

Northern claimed in an email 95% of services will be operating network wide from 13 September!

As discussed previously services suspended on Rose Hill Marple line.
I think mathematics is not a subject required for working in the rail industry.

For months EMR have been running an '80% timetable' which apparently is what 2 trains every 3 hours calculates out as nowadays.

Zooty

Nice 5 hour gap in the afternoon
That's very poor. The 14:58 ex Skipton has run throughout the covid timetable but is now being axed? That diagram provides two key peak Lancaster-Morecambe services at 16:22 and 17:15. In particular, the 16:22 is the main school train. Most kids can't make the 15:25 and it's a long wait until 16:43. So much for social distancing on the services that remain!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's very poor. The 14:58 ex Skipton has run throughout the covid timetable but is now being axed? That diagram provides two key peak Lancaster-Morecambe services at 16:22 and 17:15. In particular, the 16:22 is the main school train. Most kids can't make the 15:25 and it's a long wait until 16:43. So much for social distancing on the services that remain!

Both of those two are still down to operate. I guess the earlier train from Leeds stays at Lancaster for longer doing shuttles.

Jpr463

It's still hourly on the Blackburn-Bolton-Manchester line, (albeit with one or two peak additions) with the earliest arrival into Manchester being at 07:40, so no improvements for us. I'm hoping that enough people will be working from home as services were fairly packed as far as Bromley Cross when it was half hourly.

I'm new to this forum, so hello everyone.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think mathematics is not a subject required for working in the rail industry.

For months EMR have been running an '80% timetable' which apparently is what 2 trains every 3 hours calculates out as nowadays.
One for the Advertising Standards Authority?

janb

Both of those two are still down to operate. I guess the earlier train from Leeds stays at Lancaster for longer doing shuttles.

No. The Skipton/Leeds operation as per the 14th September timetable,
0522 from Skipton goes back as the 0648 from Lancaster
(what we believe is an incorrect listing of 0941 from Lancaster due to the May to December schedule not being deleted, if that was to run there needs to be a train from Skipton at 0750-0800ish)
0856 from Skipton goes back as the 1046 from Lancaster (will this train actually go to/from Morecambe as it currently does? We'll find out)
1253 from Skipton goes back as the 1432 from Morecambe
1726 from Leeds goes back as the 2007 from Morecambe

Current Covid operation,
0522 from Skipton goes back as the 0648 from Lancaster
0856 from Skipton goes back as the 1033 from Morecambe
1458 from Skipton goes through to Morecambe, does 1638 Morecambe to Lancaster, 1715 Lancaster to Morecambe, then goes back at 1731 from Morecambe
2000 from Skipton goes back as the 2131 from Lancaster

So as Zooty says losing the 1622 and 1715 Lancaster to Morecambe. The kids will have to wait till 1643.

Zooty

Where are you seeing that? They're not in the PDF nor do they show on a selection of dates I tried on RTT.

It is possible those services could still be run. Those two Morecambe round-trips are operated by a Wigan crew while the Skipton crew have a PNB. If there's disruption on the Bentham line and the unit never makes it across from Skipton then the Wigan crew take the shuttle unit in between its own scheduled trips - there's just enough slack in the timetable to allow for that. That would be an option for maintaining those services, but it's not what the timetable shows. Maybe the Wigan crew are needed elsewhere.

peters

On Moderation
One for the Advertising Standards Authority?

I suppose % of services is misleading even if it's accurate. If we take the Leeds to Bradford stopper as an example, that only takes 26 minutes and only stops at a few stations so should it be treated as 1 service in the statistics exactly the same as Leeds to Chester taking over 2 hours and calling at three times as many stations?

Maybe the government should force rail operators to display at every station what proportion of services are operating, unless it's 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.