• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Trainee conductor - Assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metcalfe1989

Hi can anyone help, I have been invited for an assessment day for a trainee conductors role at Northern Rail, just wondered if anyone can give me details on what to expect. The email I have had says that the day will consist of a structured interview and group exercises. Does anyone know what sort of things I will be asked in the interview? And what these group exercises are? Any help to get me prepared would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train1992

Hi, I attended the assessment day last month and about three weeks ago received an email saying I was succesful and they would be in touch regarding start dates.

The first part was the structured interview where the interviewers ask a few questions about you and what you know about the company (ie who is the managing director) so do a bit of research. Then they ask the more important structured competency questions. For example, "how have you met a deadline?" "How have you dealt with a difficult customer" etc.

The second part of the day was a group exercise where you and the other candidates would discuss the service Northern provide and brain storm ideas how the company could improve its service for customers and then present to the managers. I'd say it's important to get involved as much as you can and be confident but don't be overpowering.

What depot is this for if you don't mind me asking? And Good luck!

Last edited:

Metcalfe1989

Hi thanks that's a massive help!. I have applied to the the position at Blackburn. Can you tell me, for this advert do you think there will be more than one position available? Because I think all this process for 1 candidate wouldn't be cost effective.

JohnFM

Hi thanks that's a massive help!. I have applied to the the position at Blackburn. Can you tell me, for this advert do you think there will be more than one position available? Because I think all this process for 1 candidate wouldn't be cost effective.

With respect, getting the right candidate is always cost effective.

The entire recruitment process was recently done for just one trainee driver role at Bletchley!

paulh1969

Hi can anyone help, I have been invited for an assessment day for a trainee conductors role at Northern Rail, just wondered if anyone can give me details on what to expect. The email I have had says that the day will consist of a structured interview and group exercises. Does anyone know what sort of things I will be asked in the interview? And what these group exercises are? Any help to get me prepared would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I failed an interview with Northern recently. When I asked for feedback why, I was told it was because I wasn't specific enough with one of my answers. My advice would be practice the STAR technique and have specific examples in mind (Situation/Task/Action/Role). Its difficult not to talk in general terms about how you behave...but its a no no!!! Good luck!!!!

SteCash

Hi Guys,

I'm aware this thread is slightly dated now. However I have an assessment day next week and was wandering if anyone has the competency questions that I may be asked so I can prepare for them?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I'm aware this thread is slightly dated now. However I have an assessment day next week and was wandering if anyone has the competency questions that I may be asked so I can prepare for them?

I can't say for certain, but I imagine they would include things along the lines of:

"Can you give an example of when... "
  • you dealt with an emergency?
  • you had to manage confrontation?
  • you worked on your own initiative?
  • you communicated effectively?
  • you provided good service?

Metcalfe1989

Hi, yea I went for the interview a few months ago and as Lewisham2221 has said the questions are like, name a time when you have organised something?, name a time when you had to deal with an emergency or a time when you built up rapport with people etc. I don't know if the questions will be exactly the same but they will like that. Then when you go for the group Excercise, you sit round a table with the other applicants (with 10-12 managers sat around the room) then they ask you as a team to come up with ideas on how to make travel with northern better. They want you to get involved but don't be overpowering and try and put some good ideas forward. Good luck for the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.