• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Trainee Driver Manchester Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LETHLFH

Could it be more they are being delayed due to 1st major timetable update now being May 18 instead of December 17? Of course this means people will have to reapply but there still may be hope of getting a course but more likely to be end of this year, beginning of next year if it is due to this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cspudrun

Could it be more they are being delayed due to 1st major timetable update now being May 18 instead of December 17? Of course this means people will have to reapply but there still may be hope of getting a course but more likely to be end of this year, beginning of next year if it is due to this.

This would make sense.

Thanks for letting me know.

You'd think Northern would issue an email to people though.
Still I suppose it could be an on-going issue between management and the union so they may not be able to.

WCMLaddict

There's no issue between union and company regarding training of new drivers. If anything, union will push for more trainees so that no rest day working is required.

Issues with courses in Manchester come both from depots (full of trainees without instructors, not enough instructors) and training school (lack of people to train you).
Hence courses planned for later on in the year have been cancelled or I should say postponed for currently unidentifiable time.

cspudrun

Hi,

Still no reply for myself.

Going off what some others have been saying seems northern may have put a pause on the recruitment process due to them pushing back the updated time table which required the new drivers.

AdyB

Hi all,

I received my 'unsuccessful' last night.

Good luck everyone else

cspudrun

Hi,

Got my rejection to.

Did anyone get through lol.

Good luck to you others tho always next time

Lucky63

Another 80 drivers to be required at Piccadilly, from an extremely reliable source.

Lucky63

Vacancies aren't the issue, it's the lack of trainers

Losing three trainers is going to have an impact, but the company are famously slow at sorting out genuine problems such as this so they are to blame.
They've known about two of the three trainers leaving for some time, so why not get the vacancies out straight away and test the waters of interest for the role? Can only be poor management within the higher levels of training and development, which sadly, is a common theme in this company, I'm sure you'll agree?

basherB

Good Morning all,
I have been successful at the DMI stage but it now appears that I'm on hold. The interview was several months ago with no further correspondence. I appreciate things move slowly, just testing the water to see if anyone has had an assessment date or know when the next stage will be?

Cheers in advance

cin88

The whole lot seems to be on a slowdown, I applied for a job dispatching trains from Salford Crescent last month and I still haven't hear anything :lol:

MRcorleone

By the looks of this I am in for a real wait having only applied for the Blackpool Trainee position less that a week ago...

BlueTel

New on here but I passed the assessment centre in June & have been on hold since. Has anybody else heard what's going on or have an idea on the timescale involved?

basherB

Hi all
Blue Tel - When did you do your DMI?

I have spoken too HR and been told the courses are all full this year and that next years courses are now being advertised. Hopefully this means those of us on hold will be placed onto those courses.

Feel free to PM me.

BlueTel

Afternoon pal, I had my interview in early May & the Assessment Centre (Doncaster) on 21 June. To be honest, early next year would be good for me so I can save for a few months. Taking a bit of a pay cut (during the training) so the more in my bank the better.

Last edited:

Moss2016

Hi, just a quick one for the chaps that are in this chat, I am on the lookout for trainee driver posts and I was wondering if you are aware of any timescales Northern are working towards to recruit the next wave in the Yorkshire area. Thanks in advance !

Louby

Hi, just a quick one for the chaps that are in this chat, I am on the lookout for trainee driver posts and I was wondering if you are aware of any timescales Northern are working towards to recruit the next wave in the Yorkshire area. Thanks in advance !

Too unpredictable, best checking their careers page everyday, set up alerts but they can be delayed to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.