• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee Driver vacancy Mcr Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentChill

Hello new user here,

I did 27 questions in 5 minutes and I got an email to say I failed gotta wait 6 months now to try again lol.

6 years of railway expierience doesn't count if you cant spot the difference ..................

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
Is this visual comparison test now INSTEAD of the DSI test, or does it come after it?

Rail27

I got 49 or 50 and also had 5 mins time limit, I just got an e-mail through saying I passed and will be contacted within 6 weeks.

Goodluck

JENNY17

Yes i just had an email too informing me that i have past and they will be in touch in the next 6 weeks.

Good Luck rail27

Sunday_mornin

I too was successful (Blackpool), anyone know exactly what the next stage is. I would assume it's the assessment day but have heard/read somewhere that Northern do the management interview next.

Good luck to all (but not too much)

AndyK

Not sure how many I did, its was just over 50 I think. Now to wait a few weeks.

What exactly is the next stage? Judging by some threads on this and other forums with Northern it's a little unclear, anyone got any ideas? Should we now be practising some type of test?

I think I need to visit the library ... or amazon :)

Anyone got any tips for those of us about to embark on this next stage?

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Just remember this (whoever get through) The guard tells you when to go (In passenger service) and just because you are a few minutes late you do not give me 2 on the buzzer, I will guarantee the more guards you p*ss off the later you will get home lol <D

just kidding of course lol

Sunday_mornin

Now I'm home from work and have re-read the email, I think I'm getting ahead if myself. I don't believe that any of the applications have been sifted yet. The visual test was merely an exercise to reduce numbers and save man hours going through the sift. Also explains the long six week period ahead.

Still very pleased to have made at least one step in the right direction.

Beveridges

Established Member
Out of interest, I wonder what happens if your computer crashes while taking the DSI test? Get told to wait another 6 months?

Silv1983

Hi all,

Just had an email from Northern. It states that due to a change in requirements - they would like my application to be considered for both Piccadilly AND Victoria now. They ask me to tell them by the 24th if I only want to be considered for Picc. They will get back to me in 4 weeks to say if I have been successful with the application.

All I can say is... I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!!

Hope this is a positive thing, and good luck to the rest

Silv

(nearly forgot!) Can someone familiar with Victoria tell me what sort of routes operated out of it? Ta

Lanc688

Hi all,

Just had an email from Northern. It states that due to a change in requirements - they would like my application to be considered for both Piccadilly AND Victoria now. They ask me to tell them by the 24th if I only want to be considered for Picc. They will get back to me in 4 weeks to say if I have been successful with the application.

Silv

(nearly forgot!) Can someone familiar with Victoria tell me what sort of routes operated out of it? Ta

If ever there was a question that doesn't really leave you with much choice, I guess this would be a great example......Translation "We want to consider you for the job, but you'll have a much better chance of getting it if you say yes to this question"

No brainer really! (or maybe thats just paranoia ?)

Lanc

PS...well done for getting that far at least!

Last edited:

shroeder

Hi all,

Wow! I wonder what the hell is going on with their recruitment at the moment!
I'm still waiting for news after Mondays interview at Lime Street - I hope I don't get an email similar to Sunday_mornin's - although an message like yours, Silv, wouldn't be a bad thing at all!

EDIT - just heard back and its a nay. Gutted obviously but I knew the interview had gone badly. Fingers crossed for TPE now and keeping my eyes open for any other opportunities.

Last edited:

Lanc688

Wow! I wonder what the hell is going on with their recruitment at the moment!
I'm still waiting for news after Mondays interview at Lime Street - I hope I don't get an email similar to Sunday_mornin's - although an message like yours, Silv, wouldn't be a bad thing at all!

EDIT - just heard back and its a nay. Gutted obviously but I knew the interview had gone badly. Fingers crossed for TPE now and keeping my eyes open for any other opportunities.

Shroeder,

Which depot are you applying for at TPE ? Ps...Keep plugging away! you'll get there eventually.

Lanc

shroeder

Shroeder,

Which depot are you applying for at TPE ? Ps...Keep plugging away! you'll get there eventually.

Lanc

I applied for Manchester, presuming it would be Piccadilly for TPE as they don't go from Victoria.

I'll keep trying don't worry! I've done so much research into it in the last 6 months or so that I'm determined to get in. :D And as I've now attended (and screwed up!) one interview already I'll be much better prepared for any future interviews.

Lanc688

I applied for Manchester, presuming it would be Piccadilly for TPE as they don't go from Victoria.

I'll keep trying don't worry! I've done so much research into it in the last 6 months or so that I'm determined to get in. :D

Same here buddy....hope to see you at the tests (fingers crossed)

Prob see you over on the TPE thread!
Lanc

Mal1234

I am new to this forum and I too have recently been advised by Northern Rail that I have reached the criteria and have been shortlisted, but due to course requirements they are unable to proceed at this stage and my details will be held for the next 6 months and they will contact me if any vaccancies come up for Blackpool. I see you have received an email Silv today asking to be considered for Manchester - where was your orginal application for?

Sunday_mornin

I had the same email you recieved Mal, basically you meet requirements but your going no further. I had a follow up email today saying that the Blackpool position has been withdrawn due to a change in course requirements. I'm in a talent pool for 6 months.
Reading the last few posts it all does sound a bit haphazard, I mean where has Victoria come from all of a sudden?
Sorry to hear your bad news Shroeder, but you seem to have the right attitude. it's all experience that you can use in further applications.

So has no Manchester interviews been started as yet?

Mal1234

Sorry to hear you too are in same situation also - it is really disappointing...I was still a little hopeful when the second email came today - are you saying that it is very unlikely that Northern will have vaccancies for Blackpool in the next 6months?

Silv1983

Mal - I applied for Piccadilly back in May.

Like many others I also have a FTPE application in - which ive opted for Manchester as a preference. I'd prefer to drive a 185 over a 142 but to be honest i'd be chuffed with either TOC.

Sunday_mornin

This is what I believe the situation is, although what do I know? I believe there is limited places for trainees within a classroom. The change in course requirements could very well be these new positions at Victoria. Somehow these new positions are more necessary than the Blackpool ones, hence Blackpool will get put down the list until spaces are available on the course. This IMO could very well be within the next 6 months.

Unfortunately in our situation we have very little fact to deal with, which leaves us guessing. It also seems that the Liverpool trainees will be in place well before any Manchester ones are, as the Manchester applicants don't seem to be even past shortlisting yet.

Neil73

From reading between the lines this is also the same conclusion that I came up with. Fingers crossed that the instructors can crack on with teaching the new intake of Liverpool/Manchester trainees then get there arses upto Blackpool pronto and get that course into action ;)

Mal1234

This is what I believe the situation is, although what do I know? I believe there is limited places for trainees within a classroom. The change in course requirements could very well be these new positions at Victoria. Somehow these new positions are more necessary than the Blackpool ones, hence Blackpool will get put down the list until spaces are available on the course. This IMO could very well be within the next 6 months.

Unfortunately in our situation we have very little fact to deal with, which leaves us guessing. It also seems that the Liverpool trainees will be in place well before any Manchester ones are, as the Manchester applicants don't seem to be even past shortlisting yet.

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts Sunday Mornin and cheers Silv for your response!!

rorybreaker

Have the people who applied for Lime Street heard anything? It said within 6 weeks which was yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.