• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail TVM for TPE ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
My local station has a Northern Rail TVM or at least its the same corporate colour, if you get a ticket from it, is it defaulted to Northern Rail only, I've heard of people with NR being forced to buy a new ticket on TPE.

I would like to use TPE but dont want to run the risk of getting the wrong one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
The route restrictions on the Northern TVMs are quite clear IMO. Just to confirm, you could check the price of your desired fare on NRE (or similar) to ensure you pick the right one from the machine at the station.

alistairlees

Established Member
My local station has a Northern Rail TVM or at least its the same corporate colour, if you get a ticket from it, is it defaulted to Northern Rail only, I've heard of people with NR being forced to buy a new ticket on TPE.

The railway is not quite this disjointed! You will be able to buy any ticket from the TVM; at least, for any journey from the station the TVM is at, and at least for the same day (some TVMs can sell tickets starting from other stations; and for dates other than 'today').

skyhigh

Established Member

This is one of the benefits of the 'journey planner' interface the Northern machines use - if you select a train you wish to travel on, it will show you tickets that are valid for that train. It's also fairly clear on what ticket you're buying and the restrictions the ticket type has.

SeanG

You could also buy a ticket on your phone (even from the TPE app if you so wish) and collect it from the TVM there and then

Vespa

Established Member
Well just booked the tickets from TPE website, the TPE app is useless as it won't go to final payment.

There's two TVM machines in Lime St Northern and Avanti, no TPE so I take it both will print out the ticket for me.

island

Veteran Member
Any National Rail ticket machine except a Miseryrail one should print a collect-at-station ticket Irrespective of where it was purchased.

Ianigsy

I’ve certainly collected TPE advances from the Northern machine at Lime Street within the last year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.