• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail- Wigan and man

Status
Not open for further replies.

MancCC

Hey Kelv,

I didn't apply for Wigan but I interviewed in February for Manchester and I start my course In April and will be based at Manchester Victoria. Not sure if there will be anyone for Wigan on my course but hope you hear something back soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kelv

Hey Kelv,

I didn't apply for Wigan but I interviewed in February for Manchester and I start my course In April and will be based at Manchester Victoria. Not sure if there will be anyone for Wigan on my course but hope you hear something back soon.

Cheers.

And Good Luck on the course.

kelv

Anyone had any contact regarding the Wigan Positions in the last month ?

I'm kind of starting to think that I may have just been omitted from an email, or are others in the same boat i.e. heard nothing ?

Or is there anyone from Northern that can shed any light on this matter ? as it's 4 months since I applied now.

kelv

what does your application say when you log in?

19/12/2014 New Submitted Application

Hasn't changed since I applied.

Making me wonder if they are anticipating taking more on in near future & I'm still in the mix for then.
Hoping thats the case anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just got rejection email for Wigan Conductor, gutted to get that after 4 months from applying to be honest.
Applied for Manchester the other day.

1 thing I thought was different to last time was the question "Do you currently have a live application for a conductors position with Northern" ? I ticked No because obviously I got the rejection email from Wigan a couple of days before, I wonder if the system would have let me progress with the application if it had still been 'Live' ?

Didn't just submit the same app. either I had a good think about giving good examples as the answers I gave last time obviously weren't good enough. Hoping to get further than the initial application this time as well, i'd have thought they'd have drawn from the applications in December though with it only being 4 months ago ? or are they not allowed to because of the stated start dates on the ad ?

Last edited:

challyabnger

I had a phone call on fri from northern stating that i shoukd be starting the trainee train driver course on 8th june. Patience pays off. Others should also be getting a call i guess. However since my first interview has expired i have to pass another on thursday about safety critical amd health and well being. Hipe all goes well and may see some of you

col68

I had a phone call on fri from northern stating that i shoukd be starting the trainee train driver course on 8th june. Patience pays off. Others should also be getting a call i guess. However since my first interview has expired i have to pass another on thursday about safety critical amd health and well being. Hipe all goes well and may see some of you

which depot is it for? is it leeds? i passed assesments march and havent heard owt.

banksywhoshe

I applied for trainee conductor with Northern and passed my assessment, I didn't quite make the grade though and I'm now talent pooled along with another 4 candidates that also passed.

can i apply for other roles with northern now or not? also, how long have some of you guys been pooled for before that big amazing phone call?? xx

Also good luck KELV! I applied in feb, Passed interview March and Assessment at the end of March. wasn't quite good enough though :-/

Last edited:

challyabnger

mine is for piccadily station. ive not a clue what to say or how to prepare in the third interview hr stated its to do with safety critical and health and wellbeing

kelv

I applied for trainee conductor with Northern and passed my assessment, I didn't quite make the grade though and I'm now talent pooled along with another 4 candidates that also passed.

can i apply for other roles with northern now or not? also, how long have some of you guys been pooled for before that big amazing phone call?? xx

Also good luck KELV! I applied in feb, Passed interview March and Assessment at the end of March. wasn't quite good enough though :-/

Cheers.

I've been applying for Customer Service roles as well & just had 2 rejections for Bolton, I've got other GPR applications in but all of the applications were identical so thinking I'll be getting the same for those as well. I've had 6 rejections so far and have another 4 still in (3 cust. service & 1 trainee conductor), to get past the initial application would be something at the moment tbh, I changed my answers for the conductor one this time so I'm hoping it'll be more suited.
I've never known it this hard to find a job, in fact prior to this I've never known it hard to find a job.... or 1 thats worth having anyway.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
mine is for piccadily station. ive not a clue what to say or how to prepare in the third interview hr stated its to do with safety critical and health and wellbeing

Health and Wellbeing will be about how you handle the shifts. As Traincrew (more Drivers have extremely early starts and on the next shift really late finishes including nights) They like to see how you would approach the shifts. Safety Critical is as is Safety Critical That will be mixed in with numerous questions that is best answered by a DTM or driver instructor to give you advice.

387star

On Moderation
At my DM interview with a different company i was asked what I dislike most about being a guard

I said the shifts getting up 4am etc then went,on to say it becomes part of life you work around your shifts and the sense of duty brings a sense of pride etc and the importance of organising your life around your shifts to ensure you remain fit and alert to undertake the safety critical tasks at hand

Might not be advised but passed the interview and I was thanked for my honesty

Last edited:

kelv

when someone applies internally do they go through the same interviews etc ?

Say you was working at a station doing customer service and a conductor position came up, you approached your manager and he said he thinks you'd make a good conductor, you've been reliable, conscientious worker etc etc would you have to go through all the same processes as an external candidate ? Obviously if you are seeing the manager on a daily basis then he might give you an idea of what you'll be asked and you'd also be able to run your answers by him as well, in fact some of your answers may even be based on events that he has been part of or known about.

Whats the score there ? Do all vacancies HAVE to be advertised or are there a great many positions that get filled internally ? because companies do operate career progression and if the man in charge decides he has the man for the job already then whats to stop him 'promoting' who he sees fit ? or is that where vacancies don't make it past 'internal.'

387star

On Moderation
Everyone has to submit app and pass assessment

An internal may not be able to be released in time which may make externals more attractive

I think although for instance my company prefer internal trainee drivers there are times this is a long way off from what happens as employing externals are a cheaper option
I would add I failed an internal guard interview but passed an external one
Managers have less power than you might think and only really have the power at the very end of the process
Managers have less power than you might think and only really have the power at the very end of the process

Personally I feel all successful drivers should be internal only where possible internal meaning the rail industry as a whole

kelv

Everyone has to submit app and pass assessment

An internal may not be able to be released in time which may make externals more attractive

I think although for instance my company prefer internal trainee drivers there are times this is a long way off from what happens as employing externals are a cheaper option
I would add I failed an internal guard interview but passed an external one

Personally I feel all successful drivers should be internal only where possible internal meaning the rail industry as a whole

I understand where you're coming from with that as they have experience of the industry, the safety etc and it also gives employees an incentive if they wish to keep progressing their career... which not everyone wants to do obviously, and not everyone has the qualifications/background either and are more than happy in their various roles (lucky them).

MancCC

Hey Kelv,

I'm on the course now, and out of 12 of us there is 2 ex conductors (including myself), 1 ex platform staff and 1 ex booking office staff. We all had to go through the exact same process as an external applicant, the ex platform staff was even at my interview.

302PS

You all have to pass the same phsyco tests internal or not so the idea you should only progress to driving grade from internal you can shove

kelv

Just got another knockback for Manc Piccadilly, following on from a Wigan one last week, with this 1 I completely reworded my application doing everything possible to attempt to hit on the keywords from the Job Description in an attempt to sell myself better than previous applications. Same End Result though... didn't even get through initial application.

So thats 10 knockbacks from Northern now, 3 trainee conductor, 1 Fitter, 2 Customer Service & 1 despatch (passed online DSI), 3 Customer Service GPR.

Not entirely sure where I'm going wrong but starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to get on the Railways.
Add to those 2 cust service & 1 trainee conductor with First Trans Pennine, 2 Trainee Conductor ATW & not hearing anything from Freightline & its a wide range of roles that I've not even managed to get past the 1st sift for.

Last edited:

Potato185

I also have applied for the trainee conductor at MAN and was told last Friday that I've got an interview for this (Y2015/066 is the job ref). I know people have done interviews and been put straight into a pending pool, but when they state a start date on the application, does that mean if I were to be what they want that I'd go straight in to the job? Seems a bit odd seeings as there are people in a 'talent pool'.

Thanks.

Llama

Established Member
Just got another knockback for Manc Piccadilly, following on from a Wigan one last week, with this 1 I completely reworded my application doing everything possible to attempt to hit on the keywords from the Job Description in an attempt to sell myself better than previous applications. Same End Result though... didn't even get through initial application.

So thats 10 knockbacks from Northern now, 3 trainee conductor, 1 Fitter, 2 Customer Service & 1 despatch (passed online DSI), 3 Customer Service GPR.

Not entirely sure where I'm going wrong but starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to get on the Railways.
Add to those 2 cust service & 1 trainee conductor with First Trans Pennine, 2 Trainee Conductor ATW & not hearing anything from Freightline & its a wide range of roles that I've not even managed to get past the 1st sift for.

Being in Cheshire is it possible you are just too far away from the Manchester train crew depots for Northern and TPE? That might explain some first sift knock-backs. 45 mins is the max travelling time that Northern look for nowadays as far as I know (was 35 mins some years ago, then relaxed to an hour, now 45 mins).

banksywhoshe

I also have applied for the trainee conductor at MAN and was told last Friday that I've got an interview for this (Y2015/066 is the job ref). I know people have done interviews and been put straight into a pending pool, but when they state a start date on the application, does that mean if I were to be what they want that I'd go straight in to the job? Seems a bit odd seeings as there are people in a 'talent pool'.

Thanks.

Potato, you would still have to pass the Psyc tests. unless you've passed one before with another TOC and if its valid.
Pending pool is just the stage between having interview to those who'll get to sit assessments.
When i applied for trainee cond, there were 500 applicants, 12 made it to interview, 8 got to assessments, 1 person failed and 2 got the jobs, the other 5 of us are in holding pool now.

387star

On Moderation
Any joy for those who after applying when the distance was greater have been told they are no longer falling into the commuting time ?

johnsonr380

Any joy for those who after applying when the distance was greater have been told they are no longer falling into the commuting time ?

As in 1 hour when applied and now 45 mins?? If so no...nothing. I've sent 4 emails and had no response. Oh sorry I had one response and it appeared to be a generic one for a different matter. I take it you've not heard if you're in the same boat?

387star

On Moderation
As in 1 hour when applied and now 45 mins?? If so no...nothing. I've sent 4 emails and had no response. Oh sorry I had one response and it appeared to be a generic one for a different matter. I take it you've not heard if you're in the same boat?

No live down south didn't apply just interested if this is creating a new precedent

kelv

Being in Cheshire is it possible you are just too far away from the Manchester train crew depots for Northern and TPE? That might explain some first sift knock-backs. 45 mins is the max travelling time that Northern look for nowadays as far as I know (was 35 mins some years ago, then relaxed to an hour, now 45 mins).

I have a cheshire postcode but live 1/2 way down east lancs rd near Newton-le-willows so am within the commuting time easily for both manc & l'pool, actually live in wigan metro area.
If it was 35 I'd be within it and was also within it for Crewe so location isn't the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.