• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail- Wigan and man

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelv

Just got this re: Manchester Picc. Vacancy ......

Again we thank you for your patience since originally applying for this post and would like to apologise the shortlisting process is taking longer than anticipated. Just to keep you updated you will find out the progress of your application in the next week.

At least I'm still in the mix so to speak, I'm hoping I get the opportunity to do the tests tbh as I usually do quite well on those kinds of thing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadeinWigan

Happy anniversary! One year today since getting the results to say we'd passed all of the assessments.

It's been a very long year of waiting, hopefully those of us still waiting will have some good news soon. Congratulations to those who got a job.

adsteamfan

Happy anniversary! One year today since getting the results to say we'd passed all of the assessments.

It's been a very long year of waiting, hopefully those of us still waiting will have some good news soon. Congratulations to those who got a job.

Fingers crossed for all those still treading water!

I wonder if the 319 training is diverting DIs from being available to train newbies? Perhaps Llama would be able to shed a bit of light on things as they stand?

Llama

Established Member
In short, not really, in the second half of last year there was a bit of respite in trainee recruitment after a big surge of recruitment in the first half of last year and more DIs are being recruited from the driver grades where necessary. Recruitment is picking up again this year but is likely to be spread more evenly throughout the year instead of being 2/3 in the first six months and 1/3 in the last, as it was last year. The 319 training is being done by a pool of DIs sourced from across the five bigger north-west depots (Vic, Picc, Wigan, Lime St and Blackpool) so has less of a local impact on each depot as training progresses with electrification work (Lime Street and Vic being the first depots to be trained, followed by Wigan then Blackpool in 2016). Each 319 course takes six days plus a final competency assessment by a DTM.

dazjam

In short, not really, in the second half of last year there was a bit of respite in trainee recruitment after a big surge of recruitment in the first half of last year and more DIs are being recruited from the driver grades where necessary. Recruitment is picking up again this year but is likely to be spread more evenly throughout the year instead of being 2/3 in the first six months and 1/3 in the last, as it was last year. The 319 training is being done by a pool of DIs sourced from across the five bigger north-west depots (Vic, Picc, Wigan, Lime St and Blackpool) so has less of a local impact on each depot as training progresses with electrification work (Lime Street and Vic being the first depots to be trained, followed by Wigan then Blackpool in 2016). Each 319 course takes six days plus a final competency assessment by a DTM.

Any idea Llama of dates of upcoming courses, thanks in advance

Llama

Established Member
Off the top of my head there are courses in April, June, August and October, possibly one or two more. One course started in January.

kelv

Off the top of my head there are courses in April, June, August and October, possibly one or two more. One course started in January.

Any idea regarding conductor courses ?
Got 2 apps in at moment that I put in before xmas for Wigan & Piccadilly.

MancCC

Hi all,

This is a message for all those people posting who are in the Talent Pool for Conductor jobs.

Having read through this post I see some of you have been waiting for quite some time, however stay positive as there are positions becoming available all the time.

I applied for the Conductor role at the end of December 2014, interviewed first week of Feb 2015, took my assessments in Leeds the week later, had my medical earlier this week and I have been offered a position starting April 2015. So stay positive as it only took me a month from start to finish with the application process. I suppose it depends on which station you have applied for.

Llama

Established Member
Any idea regarding conductor courses ?
Got 2 apps in at moment that I put in before xmas for Wigan & Piccadilly.
Hi, no idea sorry, I don't get involved in guards' courses in any way.

MadeinWigan

Thanks for the insight Llama.

I spoke with HR last week, the thinly veiled message they gave was to stop bothering them and wait. As I am on hold (don't call it Talent Pool any more) for a Wigan driver position I can't be considered for any other depot even if they run out of "on hold" candidates for those depots. As Wigan is so popular with transfers and internal action it seems like the chances of an external getting a shot is slim. Does that sound fair?

johnsonr380

I spoke with HR last week, the thinly veiled message they gave was to stop bothering them and wait. As I am on hold (don't call it Talent Pool any more) for a Wigan driver position I can't be considered for any other depot even if they run out of "on hold" candidates for those depots. As Wigan is so popular with transfers and internal action it seems like the chances of an external getting a shot is slim. Does that sound fair?

In short, no its not. I've been fully commited to gaining employment with northern, had been for the last 14 months. I enquired about the change in travel time to be told I'd not be considered for the Manc depots I applied for nor would I be considered for anywhere else. My application is being investigated? It all doesn't seem fair, they've moved the goal posts. Be nice to have some transparency that's all. Life's been pretty much on hold for 14 months.

387star

On Moderation

Presumably you could still be interviewed for another depot

When do your passes run out
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In short, no its not. I've been fully commited to gaining employment with northern, had been for the last 14 months. I enquired about the change in travel time to be told I'd not be considered for the Manc depots I applied for nor would I be considered for anywhere else. My application is being investigated? It all doesn't seem fair, they've moved the goal posts. Be nice to have some transparency that's all. Life's been pretty much on hold for 14 months.

Can't believe that for a second you should speak to someone higher up as often HR aren't fully accurate

They would have contacted you otherwise

kelv

I've still not heard anything about the Conductor Applications despite the email saying I would hear something within the week, which has now passed.

Still viewing it that I'm being considered due to not receiving a 'Thanks but No Thanks' though.

Is this normal in the recruiting process ? as in, anyone that has been discounted will have been contacted already or do they delay sending those notifications until someone suitable has been recruited ? the original application btw in December was for 1 start date at Piccadilly that has already passed and someone has started the training.

Still waiting on Wigan as well which had 2 start dates, again 1 of them has passed and someone started.

Maybe I'm just being impatient ? But then that happens when trying to get your life 'On Track.'

*pun most definitely intended.

Last edited:

coolcoolcool

I've still not heard anything about the Conductor Applications despite the email saying I would hear something within the week, which has now passed.

Still viewing it that I'm being considered due to not receiving a 'Thanks but No Thanks' though.

Is this normal in the recruiting process ? as in, anyone that has been discounted will have been contacted already or do they delay sending those notifications until someone suitable has been recruited ? the original application btw in December was for 1 start date at Piccadilly that has already passed and someone has started the training.

Still waiting on Wigan as well which had 2 start dates, again 1 of them has passed and someone started.

Maybe I'm just being impatient ? But then that happens when trying to get your life 'On Track.'

*pun most definitely intended.

I've got an interview for Manchester next week

Lucky63

It may have already been mentioned somewhere but Northern advertised internally for Trainee Driver roles at LIV, MCV & MAN, with a closing date of 06/02/15. The course is to start week commencing 09/06/15.
Not sure how they work it, but could mean they put them on external site also?

387star

On Moderation

That's standard with other TOCs as you need to be interviewed seperately for each depot
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Shouldn't conductor posts be in a separate thread and the title of this thread might need adjusting as it has basically become a general northern trainee drivers thread

kelv

Thank you for your recent application for the above vacancy.

We regret to advise that you have not been successful in being progressed to the next stage in the recruitment process.

Unfortunately, due to the volume of interest that our roles generate, we are unable to provide feedback.

We would, however, like to thank you for your interest in Northern Rail and for the time and effort put into your application for this role.

Kind regards

The Recruitment Team
Northern Rail

Not what I was hoping for obviously, waiting on Wigan now & the 2 Arriva applications.
Have also applied for a Customer Service role as well to 'get my feet in the door.'

Mr Do!

I'm on the current conductor course - along with 4 others from Wigan. 4 weeks in and loving it. Just going out working the doors for the first time. Let the fun begin.

kelv

I've still not had anything back regarding the Wigan jobs.... no news is better than a rejection I suppose.

302PS

Bolton training school Is no more now, manchester from tomorrow, looks impressive
Any news on next course anyone?

kelv

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me regarding the Wigan Conductor Positions ?

i.e. Got an email in Feb saying that the sifting is taking longer than normal.

That was the last I heard from them regarding this.

I got the same email re: Piccadilly & then an unsuccessful email, but nothing further regarding Wigan.

302PS

I know someone who went for wigan who has had a rejection email this week so maybe no news is good news hei

kelv

I know someone who went for wigan who has had a rejection email this week so maybe no news is good news hei

Its what I keep telling myself.

tumblr_max2qfiKy01rrygyoo1_r1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.