• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern refusing to sell tickets in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I seem to keep having problems buying Day Saver tickets from Northern.
I often use them on a bus before the first train and it's only possible to buy them from staffed stations (or scratch off from half a dozen locations).
I am repeatedly told that they're not allowed to sell them until 0915.
I tweeted Northern when this happened in December at Keighley and was told I could buy them at any time and they'd send a message to the station manager.
I've had an argument with station staff again this morning insisting they've been told not to sell them until just before they're valid.
He did eventually still me one but with a big red stamp saying "restrictions advised".
Unfortunately it appears not to be designed to be used on rail tickets so I now have a big red splodge on my ticket with another on my hand and another in my pocket.

Can anyone give any advice other than just complaining to Northern which appears to be useless?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I seem to keep having problems buying Day Saver tickets from Northern.
I often use them on a bus before the first train and it's only possible to buy them from staffed stations (or scratch off from half a dozen locations).
I am repeatedly told that they're not allowed to sell them until 0915.
I tweeted Northern when this happened in December at Keighley and was told I could buy them at any time and they'd send a message to the station manager.
I've had an argument with station staff again this morning insisting they've been told not to sell them until just before they're valid.
He did eventually still me one but with a big red stamp saying "restrictions advised".
Unfortunately it appears not to be designed to be used on rail tickets so I now have a big red splodge on my ticket with another on my hand and another in my pocket.

Can anyone give any advice other than just complaining to Northern which appears to be useless?

Show them the tweet if you have it on your phone when purchasing.

jfollows

Established Member
They should learn from the people who run my local station, Wilmslow, which is also run by Northern.

I went a couple of years ago one morning and asked for a Cheshire Day Ranger. I sensed a slight hesitation, so I said "it's from 08:45" referring to its start time validity. "Ah, OK" said the chap, and sold me the ticket. "Look it up by all means if you like" I said, to which he replied "no need, you're the one using the ticket so it's up to you to comply with its conditions" or something similar.

Today, of course, the validity time of the ticket has changed to 09:30, but that's a different matter.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I tell them I know the conditions but that doesn't help.
They did eventually issue the ticket today but grumbled that they're not supposed to.

It doesn't help that there's very few places to buy it from.

They seem to be ignoring this morning's tweet.

I've had issues at several stations who all gave similar reasons for not being permitted to sell it.

scrapy

Established Member
To be honest Northerns Twitter team give out so much incorrect information regarding tickets and fares, for example a few weeks ago they told a passenger with split advances their tickets wouldn't be honoured the next service following a delay and they should buy a new ticket and claim a refund on the advances, or ask the conductor if they'd make an exception, it's not surprising staff don't take them at face value although on this occasion they were absolutely correct.

317 forever

Established Member
On a Friday a few weeks ago I considered buying a System 1 Bus & Train Daysaver at Heaton Chapel for the Saturday on my way to work. This is because the ticket office would still be closed when I set off on Saturday. In the event I didn't as I had such a bad feeling about the ticket office being unable to issue it even though it was for another day.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think the solution here is to stick to the scratch off versions.

Unfortunately they're only available at half a dozen locations. And my nearest is only selling ones with dates to the end of this year so I'm reluctant to stock up.

This shouldn't mean that Northern can ignore the rules and refuse to sell them.

Llandudno

Established Member
Of course the simple solution would be to enable customers to buy the tickets on line or at a ticket machine........

If only.....

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
If a ticket is sold before the time it is valid , a simple rubber stamp mark on the ticket that says something to the effect it was sold before it is valid and rules where explained would stop any "I didn't know it wasn't valid at this time, nobody told me" from the passenger later down the line.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Of course the simple solution would be to enable customers to buy the tickets on line or at a ticket machine........

If only.....

That would be perfect - it's currently impossible to buy at unstaffed stations or on trains. I'd hoped that the move away from special stock would have removed these restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.