• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rejected my delay repay and appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
hoping someone can help me out here guys and gals on Thursday 19th March four of us travelled on Advance 1st class tickets from Edinburgh - Accrington our booked intenary was as follows

1840 depart Glasgow arrive Preston 2056 depart Preston 2144 arrive Accrington 2210 but the 2144 from Preston was cancelled so we had to get the 2157 arriving at Accrington at 2235 twenty five minutes late

Upon filling in the northern delay repay form ( attached my photo of all our tickets and reservations ) when I selected the 1840 departure from Glasgow the only connection it allowed me to submit was the 0546am departure from Preston on the Friday morning subsequently they declined my delay repay request upon my appeal I explained that my connection and booked connection was 2144 not the next morning at 0546 they dismissed my appeal I appreciate the compensation might not be much but it’s the principle

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
That is a valid connection (well it must be for an advance ticket itinerary) so it doesn't make sense why they are not accepting this.

robbeech

Established Member
Because your ticket includes a connection from "the main" operator and Northern are only the connecting service the claim will usually be rejected. Some people will leave it at that so it can be rewarding to let the system work this way. Of course, it's not right to do this but this is the situation we are in with their system. You'll have to push them for this as usual. If you can appeal again (boring i know) then keep doing so, each time it goes to someone that's had an extra hour of training. As this is your second appeal now is in my opinion the time to explain clearly to them that you were delay and you are eligible for this compensation and if they still feel it is not due you would request a deadlock letter and a postal address to send legal documents.

Llandudno

Established Member
Because your ticket includes a connection from "the main" operator and Northern are only the connecting service the claim will usually be rejected. Some people will leave it at that so it can be rewarding to let the system work this way. Of course, it's not right to do this but this is the situation we are in with their system. You'll have to push them for this as usual. If you can appeal again (boring i know) then keep doing so, each time it goes to someone that's had an extra hour of training. As this is your second appeal now is in my opinion the time to explain clearly to them that you were delay and you are eligible for this compensation and if they still feel it is not due you would request a deadlock letter and a postal address to send legal documents.
Suggest you tweet them.

Northern refused twice to pay out for a cancelled Windermere train until I contacted them on Twitter, low and behold a Northern complimentary ticket voucher appeared!

dave87016

Established Member
Thank you all for your advice

Once again I have been rejected in all my correspondence to Northern regarding my claim I conclusively pointed out that it was the 2144 from Preston to Accrington that was cancelled this was operated by northern and in the latest reply they state as the 1840 from Glasgow operated by Avanti West Coast was cancelled my submission should be sent to Avanti but their service did run !

Veteran Member
Thank you all for your advice

Once again I have been rejected in all my correspondence to Northern regarding my claim I conclusively pointed out that it was the 2144 from Preston to Accrington that was cancelled this was operated by northern and in the latest reply they state as the 1840 from Glasgow operated by Avanti West Coast was cancelled my submission should be sent to Avanti but their service did run !
Be persistent with this one; eventually a competent human may read it.

HSP 2

If I have a problem with Northern with delay repay I always phone them up on 0800 200 6060 and most of the time get a good response.

Status
Not open for further replies.