• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rolling stock changes post electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shrimper

Do you know which depot provides the crews to staff the two 319s which stable at Preston?

Wigan

Afraid I can't confirm or deny your suppositions about Stockport - I've brought some of them in and out but have never logged whats in them or where they go other than the night Longsight arrival (which splits on arrival; but of the three times I've done it it's different every time!).

Crossforth

Established Member
319424 passed the train I'm on a few minutes between Liverpool Lime Street and Edge Hill. It was working into Lime Street. I assume it was in passenger service but can't confirm that.

Bovverboy

Established Member
319424 passed the train I'm on a few minutes between Liverpool Lime Street and Edge Hill. It was working into Lime Street. I assume it was in passenger service but can't confirm that.

Crossforth, if you could let us know which train you were on, it should be possible to work out which duty 319424 was operating, if it was indeed in public service.

Crossforth

Established Member
Am I missing something here?

Why would Buxton staff sign a class that won't be working on their line[emoji849]

Because if Buxton crews are a sub depot of Manchester Piccadilly then they may work other lines out of Manchester Piccadilly and not just to Buxton.

Just like when Blackpool North was a TPE Depot, they used to sign 350s but 350s don't go to Blackpool....

Loop & Link

Because if Buxton crews are a sub depot of Manchester Piccadilly then they may work other lines out of Manchester Piccadilly and not just to Buxton.

Just like when Blackpool North was a TPE Depot, they used to sign 350s but 350s don't go to Blackpool....

Buxton work a fair share of Hazel Grove-Preston/Blackpool services.

Blackpool definitely sign 319's already as they work a few Lime St-Wigan stoppers and Lime St-Preston services.

Last edited:

Bovverboy

Established Member
Originally Posted by Crossforth

I was on the 12:22 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough 1E73

Thanks for the info, Crossforth. 319424 could only have been on the 1131 ex-Wigan, due Lime Street 1222, actual arrival (according to RTT) 1222 and a quarter, with your own train departing at 1221 and three-quarters.

Tracing the duty through gives an Allerton finish, and that is consistent with DJH1971's sighting of it this morning. Assuming no interruptions, its duty today is one of the most straightforward of all those of the 319s, it simply departs Lime Street every two hours until 1900, and Wigan every two hours until 2003, although on its last trip it should collect a second unit (off the 1832 ex-Lime Street) at Wigan.

So it looks as though I'll need to wait at least another day before I see it in Manchester.

Is it in full livery, with bubbles and blue ends?

Crossforth

Established Member
Thanks for the info, Crossforth. 319424 could only have been on the 1131 ex-Wigan, due Lime Street 1222, actual arrival (according to RTT) 1222 and a quarter, with your own train departing at 1221 and three-quarters.

Tracing the duty through gives an Allerton finish, and that is consistent with DJH1971's sighting of it this morning. Assuming no interruptions, its duty today is one of the most straightforward of all those of the 319s, it simply departs Lime Street every two hours until 1900, and Wigan every two hours until 2003, although on its last trip it should collect a second unit (off the 1832 ex-Lime Street) at Wigan.

So it looks as though I'll need to wait at least another day before I see it in Manchester.

Is it in full livery, with bubbles and blue ends?

It was indeed in full livery

DJH1971

Established Member
I can confirm that 319375 is now also in the new Northern livery.

Currently at platform 1 at Liverpool Lime Street.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Has Northern began to receive cascaded units yet? Someone said September for the first, and we're the 20th of said month now...

stu99

Has Northern began to receive cascaded units yet? Someone said September for the first, and we're the 20th of said month now...

Not yet, I was under the impression that a few 150s were meant to be transferred from GWR this autumn but haven't heard anything for a bit.

1179_Clee2

Not yet, I was under the impression that a few 150s were meant to be transferred from GWR this autumn but haven't heard anything for a bit.

Cant remember which thread it was posted in but a insider at GWR said 3 units in September (units 150 101, 102 and 124) more in January but not all of the 17 150/1's some (I think they said 3) will stay at GWR a bit longer. Plus the "Angel 12" which GWR wanted to keep (still does ??)
I visited the Bristol area last week and GWR were using 2x ex LTV 3car 166's in traffic and had 1 on what could have been driver training so could send 3x 2 car units to Northern without reducing its own capacity.

stu99

Cant remember which thread it was posted in but a insider at GWR said 3 units in September (units 150 101, 102 and 124) more in January but not all of the 17 150/1's some (I think they said 3) will stay at GWR a bit longer. Plus the "Angel 12" which GWR wanted to keep (still does ??)
I visited the Bristol area last week and GWR were using 2x ex LTV 3car 166's in traffic and had 1 on what could have been driver training so could send 3x 2 car units to Northern without reducing its own capacity.

This is what I meant, and could remember myself which thread. Thank you for clarifying it.

Mollman

Established Member

Except GWR currently have a shortage of units due to PSVAR work on the sprinter fleet. Not sure what work (if any) Northern will do on cascaded units before they enter service.

Class455

Established Member
319421 was hauled from Long Marston to Allerton yesterday. Is this moving to Northern?

Bovverboy

Established Member
According to RTT and Phil Wieland's 'Open Rail' website the Blackburn stabling facility is scheduled to become active from Saturday 11 November, which is a shade earlier than had been said. On that day three sets are due to run out, but six to return. On other days five outward and return seems more typical. There is a bit of variation, partly because of intermittent bus substitution, and partly (probably) because not all journeys have been uploaded yet.

Mollman

Established Member
According to RTT and Phil Wieland's 'Open Rail' website the Blackburn stabling facility is scheduled to become active from Saturday 11 November, which is a shade earlier than had been said. On that day three sets are due to run out, but six to return. On other days five outward and return seems more typical. There is a bit of variation, partly because of intermittent bus substitution, and partly (probably) because not all journeys have been uploaded yet.

That ties in with the start of the Blackpool blockade so makes sense.

319421 was hauled from Long Marston to Allerton yesterday. Is this moving to Northern?
Another UID 319/4 painted the same as 421 (i.e. white with pale blue doors ex-Thameslink) was seen heading to Allerton last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.