• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rolling stock changes post electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In case anyone is interested, there is a path booked tomorrow morning from Holbeck Depot to Nottingham. This is supposed to be the initial training run for one of the 170s. 475 and 477 are the two units currently at Holbeck, and I understand 477 might do the honours. The unit subsequently returns to Sheffield, then runs back to Nottingham before returning to Holbeck.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N13710/2018/03/27/advanced

However, I have separately been told the above might not run and instead the 170 at Neville Hill (478) will perform the training run. This makes less sense as this unit is supposed to be being used for maintenance training.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Now that GWR is taking over the Heathrow Express service using 387s, there’s obviously going to be a fleet of 332s made available for other TOCs to use, presumably they are similar to the 333s and if Northern was able to have the whole fleet, would this mean that the 331 fleet would be solely based in the North West and could lead to the 319s going off lease.

59CosG95

Established Member
Now that GWR is taking over the Heathrow Express service using 387s, there’s obviously going to be a fleet of 332s made available for other TOCs to use, presumably they are similar to the 333s and if Northern was able to have the whole fleet, would this mean that the 331 fleet would be solely based in the North West and could lead to the 319s going off lease.
No. As has been discussed elsewhere, the 332s are in a similar operational quagmire to the 373s - they have no TPWS installed, their interior would need a complete revision, and they are owned by Heathrow Airport Holdings (i.e. BAA). Scrap is the most likely course of action.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Does anyone know if the proposed Blackpool North to Macclesfield service is still going ahead?

If yes, what stock is proposed?

geoffk

Established Member
Thought it would be a non starter, seemed rather crazy.
The May timetable detail which I've seen includes an hourly Wigan - Bolton - Alderley Edge service, so a diesel service "under the wires" replacing an electric service at a time when there's a shortage of diesel units. Is this an interim arrangement? Bolton - Wigna electrification is some way off.

The May timetable detail which I've seen includes an hourly Wigan - Bolton - Alderley Edge service, so a diesel service "under the wires" replacing an electric service at a time when there's a shortage of diesel units. Is this an interim arrangement? Bolton - Wigna electrification is some way off.
Destined to be a 319 Flex eventually...

td97

Established Member
I'd imagine this route was timetabled with a diesel unit because the 769's may be introduced before the next timetable change in December. They can't split the route to be Wigan - MAN and MAN - ALD to make better use of EMUs for May, only to then combine them once 769s arrive for this route.

geoffk

Established Member
Is there is list of routes due to get the 769s, or will they move around as electrification progresses?

geoffk

Established Member
I'd imagine this route was timetabled with a diesel unit because the 769's may be introduced before the next timetable change in December. They can't split the route to be Wigan - MAN and MAN - ALD to make better use of EMUs for May, only to then combine them once 769s arrive for this route.
The May 2018 timetable for Northern is now on Real Time Trains - or most of it, as there are still some missing in the Sheffield area.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
DSC_0054.jpg

Snapped it ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
Based on a post on wnxx someone working for GWR is making preparations to send Angel Trains 153s plus the mismatched 150 cars to Northern, with the first move being 12th May.

northernchris

Established Member
Based on a post on wnxx someone working for GWR is making preparations to send Angel Trains 153s plus the mismatched 150 cars to Northern, with the first move being 12th May.

Interesting, any ideas how many 153s there are? Northern could certainly use them come May

pemma

Veteran Member
GWR lease five 153s from Angel Trains.

Agreed, they'd definitely be useful.

They actually lease 9 from Angel and 5 from Porterbrook. If the rumour is to be believed Northern would get 4 of the Angel ones and EMT would get 5, while the Porterbrook ones would remain with GWR for now, it's also understood one of the EMT 5 would cover Barton Humber meaning it'd effectively be 5 for Northern due to not having to transfer a 153 to EMT for Barton Humber.

Established Member
They actually lease 9 from Angel and 5 from Porterbrook. If the rumour is to be believed Northern would get 4 of the Angel ones and EMT would get 5, while the Porterbrook ones would remain with GWR for now, it's also understood one of the EMT 5 would cover Barton Humber meaning it'd effectively be 5 for Northern due to not having to transfer a 153 to EMT for Barton Humber.

Ah yes, my mistake.

They'd still be very useful though, even if they would only be in use for 12-18 months.

Bovverboy

Established Member
D365 said:
What’s special about this working at all?

Nothing specific, other than flagging up that it was a 323.

5Z50 to 5Z55 are scheduled to operate SSuX 05/03/18 to 18/05/18, but no-one has reported any of them running prior to Monday of this week, when they all ran. They don't appear to have operated since.
They are presumed to be for the purpose of familiarisation of crews on 323s. The fact that they are 'timed' for 319s is immaterial.

D365

Veteran Member
Oh right, it’s normally a 319 operation then?

I’ll blame it on bad sleep...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.