• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rolling stock plan once new DMU's introduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clagmonster

Established Member
It's a bit more tricky where Connect is replacing rather than supplementing the existing stopping service so will have to provide local calls. The only two I can think of are the Nottingham (Dronfield, Langley Mill, Ilkeston - two of the three outside Rail North area so they probably aren't bothered) and the minor stops east of Carlisle (some perhaps only every two hours?).
Carlisle - Newcastle is to be hourly connect, hourly stopper, with no (or possibly very few) Hexham terminators. The hourly non Connect service will presumably take up the calls at the smaller shacks, whether all will get an hourly service I don't know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lejog

Established Member
I don't think the Connect map (a particularly nasty example of bad graphic design) is intended to show all stations called at. It may be attempting to show the Connect stations that are going to be enhanced, but the exact calling pattern isn't known. I'd hazard a guess as non-stop Sheffield to Worksop because none of the stations in between seems very major and as mentioned there will be a replacement service for them. Then all of them would call at Retford and Gainsborough. .

As I quoted in post before yours the franchise TSRs, which define the number of calls at stations which the franchise are contractually obligated to provide are a far better source of information than any map.

On the Sheffield to Lincoln line, there is 1tph to all stations except Worksop and Retford which receive 2tph. The service is thus most likely an hourly stopper to Retford and an hourly Connect Service first stop Worksop, then all stations to Lincoln.

It's a bit more tricky where Connect is replacing rather than supplementing the existing stopping service so will have to provide local calls. The only two I can think of are the Nottingham (Dronfield, Langley Mill, Ilkeston - two of the three outside Rail North area so they probably aren't bothered)

The Nottingham-Sheffield Connect service will call at Ilkeston, Langley Mill, Alfreton, Chesterfield and Dronfield, the latter 2 stations getting an extra non-Connect service.

and the minor stops east of Carlisle (some perhaps only every two hours?).

As Clagmonster says the Carlisle to Newcastle hourly Connect service will supplement an hourly slower service. The Connect service calls at Hexham, Prudhoe and Metrocentre only. The stopping service calls hourly at all stations except Wetheral, Brampton, Bardon Mill and Blaydon (only every two hours).

On Sheffield-Leeds I think the Connect will be flighted with the XC service to minimise capacity issues, ideally a few minutes before it in each direction so as also to remove local journeys from the XC as much as possible. For this to work it needs to have the minimum of stops and I'd guess just Meadowhall and Westgate.

The stopping pattern of this service is more difficult to work out from the TSR tables. A text note says it stops at Westgate and yes it may be one of the 8tph to stop at Meadowhall. It certainly doesn't stop at Rotherham or Swinton (which both receive only 1tph Leeds and 2tph Doncaster stoppers) or any other intermediate stations.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Carlisle - Newcastle is to be hourly connect, hourly stopper, with no (or possibly very few) Hexham terminators. The hourly non Connect service will presumably take up the calls at the smaller shacks, whether all will get an hourly service I don't know.

Sorry guys, missed that one despite posting about it on another thread! But it does make my point about Connect tending to be strictly limited stop, at least while in Rail North territory.

clagmonster

Established Member
The Nottingham-Sheffield Connect service will call at Ilkeston, Langley Mill, Alfreton, Chesterfield and Dronfield, the latter 2 stations getting an extra non-Connect service.
The map suggests the additional service at Dronfield and Chesterfield will be an extension of the Hull - Sheffield Connect. I agree that the TSR tables aren't clear on that matter however.

geoffk

Established Member
Originally Posted by lejog The service is thus most likely an hourly stopper to Retford and an hourly Connect Service first stop Worksop, then all stations to Lincoln.

So the trains terminating in Retford may use the high level station. I used the Lincoln service yesterday, a Pacer both ways but well-used. Starting at Todmorden and changing at Mirfield, Wakefield K'gate and Sheffield took me four hours! Kiveton Bridge appears to be busiest station between Sheffield and Worksop but not so busy as to justify two trains an hour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.