• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern service to Scotland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Hi,

I’m sure I remember reading a while back about a Northern service that ran with Scotrail stock/Northern crew (or some variation thereof) from Newcastle to Glasgow via Carlisle.

Did such a service ever exist or does it now?

Couldn't find anything on the search engine (no pun intended!)

Thanks

Saperstein.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Not sure of the current arrangements or crewing (though Table 216 GBTT still shows 3 SR services through to Newcastle, and 2 of them appear on T48), but the through workings are very long standing, and included a pair of Newcastle-Stranraer workings for many years. Try Googling images of Scotrail 156 Newcastle for example.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Hi,

I’m sure I remember reading a while back about a Northern service that ran with Scotrail stock/Northern crew (or some variation thereof) from Newcastle to Glasgow via Carlisle.

Did such a service ever exist or does it now?

Couldn't find anything on the search engine (no pun intended!)

Thanks

Saperstein.

I know there used to be a Northern Glasgow to Leeds once a day via the settle and Carlisle Line. From 1999 until around 2003/04. Not sure about Glasgow to Newcastle via Carlisle.

gray1404

Established Member
There are no Northern services to or from Scotland.

Services between Glasgow Central and Newcastle used to be operated by Scotrail as far as Carlisle and by Northern thereafter. It would be crewed by staff of the according TOC between those stations. However, the stock used could be from either TOC.

Currently, there is a service from Glasgow Central to Newcastle in the timetable. When I check this on BRtimes, it is shown as operated by Scotrail to Carlisle and Northern thereafter.

Glenn1969

Established Member
There is a 1613 train from Glasgow to Newcastle via Carlisle and 2 morning trains from Dumfries to Newcastle. Nothing in the opposite direction seemingly

gray1404

Established Member
I know there used to be a Northern Glasgow to Leeds once a day via the settle and Carlisle Line. From 1999 until around 2003/04. Not sure about Glasgow to Newcastle via Carlisle.

Was it ran as far as Glasgow Central by Northern, or did Scotrail take it over from Carlisle?

Peter A

There is a 1613 train from Glasgow to Newcastle via Carlisle and 2 morning trains from Dumfries to Newcastle. Nothing in the opposite direction seemingly

There did indeed used to be a morning service, the 06:20 from Newcastle to Glasgow. This service still runs as the 06:20 Newcastle to Carlisle which runs on to the 08:08 Carlisle to Glasgow using the same Scotrail unit - so the through service does still operate but is no longer advertised as such.

One of the morning Dumfries services also uses a Scotrail unit which is then used on the 12:39 Newcastle to Carlisle, 14:31 Carlisle to Morpeth, and 16:55 Morpeth to Carlisle which then operates the 19:20 Carlisle to Glasgow. I believe the other Dumfries service uses a northern unit but can't say for certain.

snookertam

The old Leeds to Glasgow Central service was northern throughout. It was supposed to by a 158 which no ScotRail crew from Glasgow Central, Ayr or Dumfries would have knowledge of. It also ran via Lockerbie which again ScotRail crews had no knowledge of.

As others have stated the existing Glasgow Central/Newcastle services are officially ScotRail services as far as Carlisle and Northern from there to Newcastle. ScotRail and Northern have arrangements to use each others units for various services, and Northern crews also sometimes work services between Carlisle/Dumfries. There will be certain services down there that you wouldn't know was operated by ScotRail unless the traincrew told you.

During times of disruption each operators units have become 'lost' on occasion. A Northern Unit once made it to Glasgow Central before and ended up having to operate an East Kilbride service before being returned to Dumfries.

route101

Established Member
The old Leeds to Glasgow Central service was northern throughout. It was supposed to by a 158 which no ScotRail crew from Glasgow Central, Ayr or Dumfries would have knowledge of. It also ran via Lockerbie which again ScotRail crews had no knowledge of.

As others have stated the existing Glasgow Central/Newcastle services are officially ScotRail services as far as Carlisle and Northern from there to Newcastle. ScotRail and Northern have arrangements to use each others units for various services, and Northern crews also sometimes work services between Carlisle/Dumfries. There will be certain services down there that you wouldn't know was operated by ScotRail unless the traincrew told you.

During times of disruption each operators units have become 'lost' on occasion. A Northern Unit once made it to Glasgow Central before and ended up having to operate an East Kilbride service before being returned to Dumfries.

Wish that Leeds to Glasgow would still exist!

Didnt realise it was 3 years ago that the Northern 156 went to EK , im sure it was later.

BigCj34

Wish that Leeds to Glasgow would still exist!

Didnt realise it was 3 years ago that the Northern 156 went to EK , im sure it was later.
It's be interesting to see how long it took. If searching daily itineraries there are only a couple of occasions where it is quicker to go from Glasgow to Leeds via the S&C. Otherwise it's via Edinburgh or Bentham.

route101

Established Member
It's be interesting to see how long it took. If searching daily itineraries there are only a couple of occasions where it is quicker to go from Glasgow to Leeds via the S&C. Otherwise it's via Edinburgh or Bentham.

Yeah , expensive to go via the ECML!

tbtc

Veteran Member

I certainly saw 156s on it (but this was in the era before digital cameras, so I can't say how often that would have been as a percentage of times)

The WCML north of Carlisle was a lot quieter back then of course (bi-hourly services from Euston, Manchester and Birmingham, whereas all are pretty much hourly nowadays)

I wasn't aware of a Northern unit making it to EK, but that's good to hear - at least both TOCs have the same DMUs at the moment so the through working is viable - what it'll be like if one gets something more modern is another story though

Peter Bonner

I certainly saw 156s on it (but this was in the era before digital cameras, so I can't say how often that would have been as a percentage of times)

The WCML north of Carlisle was a lot quieter back then of course (bi-hourly services from Euston, Manchester and Birmingham, whereas all are pretty much hourly nowadays)

I wasn't aware of a Northern unit making it to EK, but that's good to hear - at least both TOCs have the same DMUs at the moment so the through working is viable - what it'll be like if one gets something more modern is another story though

Didnt Northern units( or whatever its name then) sometimes go to St Rollox works? Ok not a passenger service but in the area. They also went to Kilmarnock for repair?? Not sure of these points. Can anyone enlighten me?

JBuchananGB

I saw a London Northwestern train on Friday working the TPE service from Glasgow to Manchester Airport. Quite a surprising sight.

Iskra

Established Member

I don’t think it went on for that many years. I think it only lasted around a year, ending in 2003/4. It was a great service for me and its legacy lives on with the daily S&C express services, which are still well patronised with Glasgow customers.

CM

A Nothern 156 made it up to Glasgow a while back and even managed to do a return trip to both East Kilbride and Kilmarnock before returning to home turf - https://flic.kr/p/22apUzb

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I don’t think it went on for that many years. I think it only lasted around a year, ending in 2003/4. It was a great service for me and its legacy lives on with the daily S&C express services, which are still well patronised with Glasgow customers.

A bit of an exaggeration, I'm afraid.
For the past year or so, on Weekdays there is only one service, in the up, 1E65 13.40 ex-Carlisle.

In the down, the 09.19 1M53 ex-Leeds retains a class 1 headcode, but stops at most of the 10 'small' stations between Skipton and Carlisle. When it started it skipped the three stops north of Appleby, so it was a kind of semi-fast for a time.

There are only fast services (plural) on a Sunday, with the 09.23 (?) ex Nottingham running fast-ish to Carlisle.
Curiously, the return working is all shacks to Leeds, then on to Nottingham, to be followed by an 'express' an hour or so later that terminates at Leeds.

geoffk

Established Member
I know this is going off topic, but what other examples are there of crews operating the stock of a different TOC? Barton-on-Humber is another. Do TPE crews still work Northern trains between Hull and Scarborough?

Peter Bonner

I know this is going off topic, but what other examples are there of crews operating the stock of a different TOC? Barton-on-Humber is another. Do TPE crews still work Northern trains between Hull and Scarborough?
Drivers and conductors used to work 2 shifts each per day on Hull to Scarboro line. One unit was outstationed overnight at Hull. Now itruns up from Hull at 0533 so I think its all Northern now. Change was in 2018 IIRC.

Northern still use a Scotrail 156 in the Newcastle area in service during the week

MDB1images

No they didn’t - it was a Carlisle crew from Glasgow.

Sorry rephrase it, it was Leeds guards.
I actually thought it was Leeds drivers as well from the Top link ex RRNE but can't be certain on that as only had involvement with the Guards.

Lemmy99uk

Sorry rephrase it, it was Leeds guards.
I actually thought it was Leeds drivers as well from the Top link ex RRNE but can't be certain on that as only had involvement with the Guards.

It was Carlisle Guards and Drivers to and from Glasgow.

Status
Not open for further replies.