• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Smart Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furton

My daily commute is Liverpool South Parkway to Manchester Oxford Rd. I currently buy a paper season ticket at the office along with my photo ID card. Northern have started rolling out a smart ticket which means I can buy the ticket on-line and store it on the card.

The route is operated by Northern and EMR and I generally split my travel between them 50/50. Will EMR accept the northern smart card? The on-line purchase options seems to suggest I can buy a ticket that's accepted by all operators. Are EMR guards trained to accept them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Providing the product you buy is inter available, it doesn't matter what medium it's held on.

It's the responsibility of each TOC to provide its staff with the correct readers for any particular medium; if staff do not have those readers that is not the customers problem.

Camden

Established Member
Is this card still trying to block people from break of journeys and using the ticket between intermediate stations, unlike a normal paper ticket?

If so, I wouldn't use it.

robbeech

Established Member
Is this card still trying to block people from break of journeys and using the ticket between intermediate stations, unlike a normal paper ticket?

If so, I wouldn't use it.

I think this applies more to carnet tickets than season tickets. But there are still alsorts of issues that need addressing.

janb

No. That was always a mistake in the website text, rather than a policy, which has now been corrected.

Now reads,
Can I get off somewhere, then catch a later train to complete my journey using my Smart card?

palmersears

Established Member
I'm steadfastly refusing to give up my paper season ticket until I absolutely have to. I don't trust Northern to run a bath, let alone a smart card system

Clip

Established Member
I'm steadfastly refusing to give up my paper season ticket until I absolutely have to. I don't trust Northern to run a bath, let alone a smart card system

Seems to work well for the people ive seen using one

johntea

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know if the following ticket can be loaded on to a Northern smart card? It's not a point to point season ticket as such

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prd79dbefea24fc1acf91f2e1a1a45a2.aspx

WY MCard Zones 1-5+6 (Harrogate) & 1-5+7(Skipton)

West Yorkshire PTE Zone 6 and Zone 7 railcards can help regular travellers cut the cost of travel in West Yorkshire, and can be purchased weekly, monthly, quarterly or annually, with unlimited travel on trains within the selected zones.

• Zone 6 railcards (stations are Harrogate, Hornbeam Park, Pannal and Weeton) are also valid in zones 1 to 5
  • Zone 7 railcards (stations are Skipton and Cononley) are also valid in zones 1 to 5
NOTE: railcards are NOT valid between zones 6 and 7

Last edited by a moderator:

jamiearmley

If you do buy your smart season ticket online, please remember that you have to either load it on to the card at a northern tvm, or by use of the NFC reader on an android phone. Buying a season but failing to load it onto the card is treated as travelling without a valid ticket. An email confirmation of purchase, or a bank statement showing the transaction, is not accepted for travel.

Further, keep a record of when it is due for renewal, perhaps on a calendar or a reminder set on your phone. I have spoken to multiple passengers who have travelled on an expired ticket, mistakenly thinking it had not yet expired, who have then received a penalty fare for travelling without a ticket. Finally, remember that the smart card contains far more detail about you than a paper season. Scanning the smartcard gives the rail company enough information about you and the journey you have made for more severe actions to be progressed in response to travelling without a valid ticket, where appropriate.

johntea

Established Member
I bought it today, and it couldn’t be put on a smart card...another thrilling year of 100 paper replacements when the barriers are hungry then!

It’s a weird product really, sort of stuck in between WY Metro and the rail system, why they can’t just add the option to add it on to a pink MCard I’ll never know! (I’ve asked them several times but always got the standard ‘yeah it might happen in the future’ response)

Status
Not open for further replies.