• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern staff free travel on XC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am going to be travelling between either Newcastle and York or Darlington and York with a friend of mine who work's for Northern. If we take the XC service, is he entitled to free travel on production of his Northern staff ID card? I am assuming he'll have to use boxes or buy a Priv ticket if we use TPE or LNER?

Also, are Northern staff still entitled to free travel on the Metro in Newcastle?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I am going to be travelling between either Newcastle and York or Darlington and York with a friend of mine who work's for Northern. If we take the XC service, is he entitled to free travel on production of his Northern staff ID card? I am assuming he'll have to use boxes or buy a Priv ticket if we use TPE or LNER?

Also, are Northern staff still entitled to free travel on the Metro in Newcastle?

Thanks.
He is Valid on XC but will need PRIV or boxes on TPE or LNER correct.

v199629

The Metro in Newcastle is not owned by Arriva anymore hence producing Northern staff ID card would not be valid for free travel.

scrapy

Established Member
The Metro in Newcastle is not owned by Arriva anymore hence producing Northern staff ID card would not be valid for free travel.
I believe Northern had a reciprocal agreement with Nexus when Arriva stopped running the Metro in the same way they still have one with Merseyrail (Other Arriva TOCs may not). Its worth checking with HR to see it's still in place.

SeanG

He could always do what a lot of other staff do and just chat to the guard and ask for a lift...

gray1404

Established Member
But if my friend has a Northern staff card then it sounds like he get's free travel on the Newcastle Metro anyway.

Adam0984

Free travel on Arriva TOCs plus T&W metro and Merseyrail under reciprocal agreement

Merle Haggard

Established Member
As long as you started on the railway before TWPTE took over the system
Sorry to mislead.
To amplify, not valid if "1" is shown against Endorsements (on LHS just above boxes on card).
With my advancing years changes such as these (also loss of Sealink, Calmac etc.) seem so recent, but I realise that Endorsements - NIL is getting unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.